Looking at Martin 000 models...Will I regret not getting one with electronics?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Looking at Martin 000 models...Will I regret not getting one with electronics?

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:46 pm

I am in the market for an acoustic. I have a bunch of electrics, and I can rattle off specs on Fenders all day, but I'm pretty clueless about acoustics, other than I like the Martin sound and style.

I have been looking at Martins, and my budget is right at $1,000. I am a big guy, so I thought a dreadnought would be the best choice, but I think I like the sound and playability of the smaller bodies better. I think I've narrowed it down to a 000 style after playing a few different ones.

The problem is my options are limited in this price range. I really like the 000-13E, but it's a bit out of my budget. I really wanted a gloss spruce top, but that is also out of my budget.

The one I've found that is the closest is a special model only available through GC/MF, which is not my favorite company to give my money to. It has an ebony fingerboard, as opposed to the richlite composites that come on the Road Series. It isn't a gloss top, but I can live with satin. The biggest potential drawback is that it has no electronics, whereas the Road Series has a built in Fishman setup. I can't see a situation where I'd need an acoustic live, as I haven't in the 15 years I've been playing with this band, but it may come in handy?

I have never needed an acoustic in a live setting, but I feel like I'd potentially regret not having the pickup...Thoughts?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin/Mar ... 0&index=15

Any other recommendations? I've played some Taylors, which sounded good, but they really aren't my style.
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Re: Looking at Martin 000 models...Will I regret not getting one with electronics?

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:48 pm

The other option I was considering was this GPC-11E, which has electronics and a gloss top. It's obviously bigger than a 000, but not as big as a dread. The only concern I have is that it has a cutaway, which always makes me think of church bands. :D

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... es-natural

I played one Grand Performance sized Martin and I liked it, as well.

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Looking at Martin 000 models...Will I regret not getting one with electronics?

Post by Dok » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:20 pm

I think with Martins you really gotta play 'em to figure out if it's a keeper. I've not always been thrilled with the ones at the $1000 price point - I feel like they should be nicer at that tier - but I'm sure there are some good ones if you're willing to put your hands on a bunch. I really don't like acoustics with electronics installed, so I don't think you'd miss that component.

The 000-13E is only $1299 - maybe it's worth saving for the one you want?
Local milk person

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:37 pm

Nolan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:47 pm

Look who it is!

Welcome back!
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:40 am

RumorsOFsurF wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:46 pm
I have never needed an acoustic in a live setting, but I feel like I'd potentially regret not having the pickup...Thoughts?
I don't think you will.

On a steel string acoustic a removeable magnetic soundhole pickup will get you by in a pinch, and if you really love the guitar and are playing out with it a lot you can install whatever pickup you like the sound/features of best at a later time.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:54 am

I’ve been gassing for a J45 since forever. But the more I read, the more people seem to swap the pickup out anyways. So I’m tempted to cast my net further & put in an LR Baggs M1a or something similar.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Looking at Martin 000 models...Will I regret not getting one with electroni

Post by wproffitt » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:24 am

I’ve just concluded a similar journey with the purchase of a nice OM sized guitar with no electronics. I’ve played out with it twice and simply used a mic. The dread I had before this had electronics and I hated the way they sounded and always used a mic when I actually cared about how the instrument would sound. My advice is to buy the best sounding guitar you can get your hands on and figure out the live sound aspect of it after the fact. Also, good to see you back!

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:19 am

If you're not going to play out I don't think electronics are really needed. But I'd recommend going with a slightly higher end Martin. That one you posted is one of the MIM ones, and there isn't anything inherently wrong with it, but if I bought a Martin, I'd personally want a MIA one. There are a few 000-15's on Reverb available for $1000 (or $1100), and those are incredible guitars.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:00 am

I personally hate the electronics in acoustic guitars and remove them any time I encounter them.

The reason is, most guitar makers use under-saddle pickups, which are encased in mesh, and sit between the saddle and the bridge.

So, you want the bridge to be able to transmit the vibration of the strings to the top via the bridge, and that mesh pickup can only be an impedance there.

I've removed those pickups from ten or so guitars, sometimes the difference is quite considerable, sometimes it's not as much.

If I were to put a pickup in a guitar, I would use something like a K&K Mini, which are little microphones that sit in the acoustic chamber.

If you aren't playing out, not having the electronics in there is a no-brainer. All they are doing is sucking away sound. They sound terrible for recording, so there's just no point.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:12 am

I appreciate that for some people the Ovation sound was there sound (although I have no idea why you’d want to do it). Yet to this day I still listen in disbelief any time I hear an electro-acoustic tone on record. With all the advances in home recording, micing up your guitar seems like a no-brainer to me.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Tafarel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tafarel » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:08 am

I have a Martin 00-17. It has the LR Baggs Lyric system in it. I don't play acoustic live, but I do have an old Fender Acoustisonic (wedge shape) that I occasionally play it through at band practice. We've never found a way to work it into our live sound (mostly because I am lazy and already take two electrics and one 12-string electric to gigs), but it provides a nice texture. Using it live would unfortunately mean that I would be taking four guitars to a gig -- three is already two too many.

The LR Baggs Lyric provides a very natural acoustic guitar sound -- it doesn't have any of that metallic zing that I usually hear from pickup-equipped acoustic guitars at venues.

I can play it loud enough that it can be heard in our band context (at practice -- drums, bass, two other electric guitars or one keyboard and electric). I hope this info helps a little.
"I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday. I've begun reminiscing events before they even occur. I'm reminiscing this right now. I can't go to the bar because I've already looked back on it in my memory, and I didn't have a good time."

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:44 am

When it comes to acoustic guitars, the common wisdom, by far, is to buy the guitar without a pickup and install yours after if needed. Any acoustic guitar with a "barn door" or controls on the body of the guitar should automatically be ruled out of consideration.

So, no, you might regret it if you get the guitar *with* electronics, but not the other way around.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:26 am

Thanks for the replies, all. And I appreciate the welcome!

Honestly, I don't really like the sound of them when amplified, either. I play out, but I have never used an acoustic in a live setting.

I'm leaning toward the one without electronics.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:35 am

Jonesie wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:19 am
If you're not going to play out I don't think electronics are really needed. But I'd recommend going with a slightly higher end Martin. That one you posted is one of the MIM ones, and there isn't anything inherently wrong with it, but if I bought a Martin, I'd personally want a MIA one. There are a few 000-15's on Reverb available for $1000 (or $1100), and those are incredible guitars.
I'm not sure how I feel about the mahogany top. I prefer the look of natural spruce