i'm trying to work through my resentment towards my "tele custom" (SX Furrian HH)

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
bah humbuck
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

i'm trying to work through my resentment towards my "tele custom" (SX Furrian HH)

Post by bah humbuck » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:34 pm

I bought this guitar 7 years ago, when I was looking for a different sound than I was getting out of my Strat and kind of somehow had vaguely heard of this band called Sonic Youth that were alright.

Since then, it's always had something wrong with it, and I've always had a different guitar around that I've liked better. You'll notice it's not listed in my signature. Most of its life I would have sold it if I thought I could get 200 bucks for it, which I never could because it was usually mutilated in some way. The picture I posted is from when the pickups were falling out . The painters' tape "competition stripe" is there to cover some other metallic tape that used to be all torn up and irritate the underside of my arm whenever I played it. But for whatever reason, I've held onto it. It has been through a lot with me, and I've been trying to look at it more positively.

The stock pickups (PAF style) were way too dark for my taste. I moaned and complained endlessly about that without ever taking the simple way out and replacing the pickups, my rationale being why drop the $ on a guitar I didn't like much. Finally my faithful tech and spirit guide, Josh over at Velvet Unicorn Studios, tired of my caterwauling and removed the pole piece screws. I got the guitar back after not playing it for a while (he knew I wouldn't miss it) and... well, it was a whiplash-inducing paradigm shift to hear the difference. Where before there was only wooly, subdued cleans and unremarkable driven tones, now a bright, focused sound was going on. Not quite WRHB but definitely much closer to the "fat single coil" sound I was looking for.

It does need help staying in tune, always has. I'm not sure if that's a result of the bridge or tuners or what. I did have someone add more springs to the trem situation, that did mitigate the problem somewhat. But it still gives me trouble. The neck itself feels good, and the body feels substantial. If I could get the tuning thing figured out, I suppose I'd probably have a pretty okay guitar.

I guess I'm just curious to hear what y'all have to say about this thing. It's always just kind of "been there", never assisted the transcendence process like some of my other instruments. But I'm open to realizing that maybe my perspective needs to shift in order for it to meet me in that place. I don't know. I'm divided because I'm also trying to build two strats and there's always the convert-what-little-I-could-get-for-it-into-Strat-parts argument. I think I'd feel KIND OF sentimental towards it if I did that though? Maybe? Would I?

I don't know how this turned into a Freudian/Lynchian psychological analysis of my relationship with the guitar. Maybe I need to just play the darn thing. I don;t know.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: i'm trying to work through my resentment towards my "tele custom" (SX Furrian HH)

Post by stevejamsecono » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:14 am

Just get rid of it. Some guitars are just dogs and that's all there is to it. No need to cling to them if you have other ones you like and play regularly.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: i'm trying to work through my resentment towards my "tele custom" (SX Furrian HH)

Post by Fiddy » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:08 am

Welcome, signature gear listing time traveller from the year 2004.

DrQuasar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrQuasar » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:02 pm

Give it away. I bet you know someone that's always liked it or would like it. Maybe a kid somewhere.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:11 am

DrQuasar wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:02 pm
Give it away. I bet you know someone that's always liked it or would like it. Maybe a kid somewhere.
I've done this with a couple of guitars over the years. Put them into a playable condition and just handed to friends or donated to the local music charity. Honestly, your existence will be better for it - focus on the guitars you love.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:12 am

DrQuasar wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:02 pm
I did that once. I owned a custom made “snake head” telecaster. Couldn’t get on with it. I took it to a shop for a setup and although it played better, it still wasn’t for me. I paid the shop for the repair and while I was there in the shop testing out the guitar there was a young teen begging his mom for a guitar. She kept telling him “not now” and “maybe at Christmas”, “money is tight now”. So as I was leaving I gave that telecaster to this kid. He was super happy and I still don’t regret it.

That kid really wanted to play guitar and like the idea of doing my little part to move music forward. (Cringe, I know).

"some misguided Marin county hot-tubber"

cdwillis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cdwillis » Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:03 pm

It's probably the strings binding in the nut causing tuning issues, maybe the tuners slip as well. You might try to file the nut slots a little. Definitely put some pencil graphite in the slots. I've never thought twice about putting decent pickups in the cheapest guitars I've owned, assuming I planned on keeping them. If you don't want to splurge you can always get some cheaper options that are actually good like Toneriders or GFS pickups.