NGD! 70's Tele Custom (parts build)

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD! 70's Tele Custom (parts build)

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:31 pm

This is a project I've had in the works for almost a year now. The last component was the body and it arrived yesterday! I shielded the cavities and got it all assembled. I did a rough setup but I've sent it to my luthier as the nut slots need to be final cut and set up.

Specs:
Body: Guitar Mill
Wood: Alder
Finish: Black nitro lacquer with "Closet Clean" relic
Bridge: Fender with Rutters compensated steel saddles
Neck:
Fender Rarities "Blue Cloud" Tele neck
Wood: Quarter Sawn European Maple
Neck shape: 60's C
Radius: 9.5"
Frets: vintage tall
Tuners: Fender modern locking
Electronics:
Neck pickup: Fender Cunife reissue WRHB
Bridge pickup: Fender '64 Tele bridge pickup
Pots: 1 meg on neck circuit, 250k on bridge

I haven't really had much time with it so far and it still needs final setup, but I can say this: The Fender Cunife WRHB does not sound like any of the aftermarket options out there. I had another Tele Custom before and I ran through three different maker's attempts at the WRHB. None of them nail it.

Yep, it's a black Tele Custom. There's a lot of them around but none had the specs I wanted. This one does!

Cornelius Plum
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD! 70's Tele Custom (parts build)

Post by Cornelius Plum » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:00 pm

How does the Fender Cunife WRHB sound? I have a MIJ Tele Custom that looks exactly like your guitar. It has a Lollar Regal in the neck. You're making me wonder if I should get the Fender Cunife... :fp:

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:08 pm

Cornelius Plum wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:00 pm
How does the Fender Cunife WRHB sound? I have a MIJ Tele Custom that looks exactly like your guitar. It has a Lollar Regal in the neck. You're making me wonder if I should get the Fender Cunife... :fp:
I can't compare to the Lollar Regal as I never tried that one. I have tried the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop WRHB, the Brandonwound WRHB, and the previous Fender WRHB reissue.

The older Fender WRHB sounds muddy and woolly. The Brandonwound is clearer but the volume output is very high and uneven between the volume of the bass and lighter strings and it doesn't sound particularly good. The Seymour Duncan was better than both of those but still just... odd.

The Cunife WRHB sounds very clear - including the bass strings. It's even and articulate. It's really hard to describe because it doesn't sound like anything I've played before. Not a SC, and not a HB. It's its own thing.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:40 am

This is beautiful, congratulations! Love the specs, Shame Fender don’t offer those as standard. My only addition would be vintage tuners, but only because I much prefer the way they look.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:10 am

sal paradise wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:40 am
This is beautiful, congratulations! Love the specs, Shame Fender don’t offer those as standard. My only addition would be vintage tuners, but only because I much prefer the way they look.
I agree on the tuners. However the neck was factory routed for modern tuning machines. I could get conversion bushings but I'm not sure what they look like from the front.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:30 am

Powdered Toast Man wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:10 am
sal paradise wrote:
I agree on the tuners. However the neck was factory routed for modern tuning machines. I could get conversion bushings but I'm not sure what they look like from the front.
They look completely the same. I’ve done it a few times without any issues
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:22 am

sal paradise wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:30 am
sal paradise wrote:
They look completely the same. I’ve done it a few times without any issues
Any recommendation on brand or source for conversion bushings?

Honestly the look doesn't bother me but what does is the weight. Those die cast locking tuners make it pretty headstock heavy.

Somnospeed
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Somnospeed » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:08 pm

Looks awesome! Just as good as the real thing, except maybe better in some ways I bet the neck feel is much better since the 70's Tele Custom and Deluxe necks are not comfortable at all, in my opinion. I'm beginning work on a Tele Custom build and it will basically look just like yours with a Rosewood board.
I'm also digging the new Fender Cunife pups. And they sure do sound better than any reissue or clone. They sound damn near just like the originals.

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:19 pm

Somnospeed wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:08 pm
Looks awesome! Just as good as the real thing, except maybe better in some ways I bet the neck feel is much better since the 70's Tele Custom and Deluxe necks are not comfortable at all, in my opinion. I'm beginning work on a Tele Custom build and it will basically look just like yours with a Rosewood board.
I'm also digging the new Fender Cunife pups. And they sure do sound better than any reissue or clone. They sound damn near just like the originals.
Thanks! Yes, the neck on this one has the same profile as the AO60's Tele and it is AWESOME. Slim around the 1st fret and nice and chunky up near the 12th. Comfy for chording and then fills the hand for solo and lead work. I'm not big on poly finishes but this satin back is so slick that it's actually slippery to play! Fast!

And yeah the pickups sound ridiculously good. The Cunife WRHB is better than at least 3 other repros I've used in the past.

algeriet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by algeriet » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:53 pm

Killer guitar. Great news: the Performer series' tuners should be a direct replacement and gives you the aesthetics of vintage style tuners!