Birthyear Bullet

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Birthyear Bullet

Post by JSett » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:23 am

Maggieo wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:19 am
How about LPB?
Yeah, LPB and OTM are contenders. I like the Fender blues and teal colours as long as they're not to pastel.

Although I am tempted to go wild and do Tahitian Coral :boobs:
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Caddy65
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Caddy65 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:39 am

I’m 74 (age, not birth year). A birth year guitar for me would have to be an archtop acoustic (maybe with a D’Armond pickup attached to the end of the fretboard if I wanted it to be electric)

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:42 am

Caddy65 wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:39 am
I’m 74 (age, not birth year). A birth year guitar for me would have to be an archtop acoustic (maybe with a D’Armond pickup attached to the end of the fretboard if I wanted it to be electric)

74... thats 1947-ish then? Lots of lovely archtops to choose from for sure. I had a wonderful '38 Harmony archtop that I regretfully sold a few years back. A great era for guitars.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:09 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:09 am

I've always read good things about them by people who know their way around a guitar and don't judge them by their unpopularity. It's a bit of a shot in the dark for me but for the money it's a cheap risk.
Well, I think you'll be very happy. They really are just great all around guitars, they were obviously made to an inexpensive price point, in fact I seem to recall the guitar's designer John Page writing that he was mandated by Fender to turn in a guitar design that could be produced for under $60 although he couldn't quite get there.

But the pickups are just low wind Mustang pickups, and they sound great. Fender necks are always great but someone the Bullets stand out even so, just super playable vintage spec necks. Nothing was skimped there.

The one piece metal pick guard frankly is great shielding and an all around great idea, the saddles are of high quality also. Nothing to dislike, really.

Your guitar might be a multi-ply laminate or it might be solid wood, you can tell by pulling the neck. Most were laminate, and they are fairly heavy, but apparently Fender wasn't any too choosey about what they rolled out.

I think Bullets sound very good... the low wind pickups and the long scale really work.

Here's about the best thing I have done with mine, although it's not really a completed song or anything.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:45 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:09 pm

Well, I think you'll be very happy. They really are just great all around guitars, they were obviously made to an inexpensive price point, in fact I seem to recall the guitar's designer John Page writing that he was mandated by Fender to turn in a guitar design that could be produced for under $60 although he couldn't quite get there.

But the pickups are just low wind Mustang pickups, and they sound great. Fender necks are always great but someone the Bullets stand out even so, just super playable vintage spec necks. Nothing was skimped there.

The one piece metal pick guard frankly is great shielding and an all around great idea, the saddles are of high quality also. Nothing to dislike, really.

Your guitar might be a multi-ply laminate or it might be solid wood, you can tell by pulling the neck. Most were laminate, and they are fairly heavy, but apparently Fender wasn't any too choosey about what they rolled out.

I think Bullets sound very good... the low wind pickups and the long scale really work.

Here's about the best thing I have done with mine, although it's not really a completed song or anything.
I'd seen some bodies with the routing looking like it was laminate but hadn't really twigged that it could actually be...makes sense now. I'll definitely be pulling the neck to see now.

I like the tune...it definitely has that Mustang-esque jangle going on. Reminds me a little of Talking Heads in places.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:55 am

Any news? Inquiring minds and all that.
This is an excellent rectangle

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:15 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:55 am
Any news? Inquiring minds and all that.
Well, sort of. It entered the UPS network and then disappeared :fp: the seller refunded it quickly I I chalked it up to bad luck.

He had it back up for sale shortly afterwards so either he changed his mind over accepting my offer or genuinely it got returned to him eventually. He never messaged me and, truth be told, I just decided to leave it after all that. It was obviously not 'meant to be' - I've had enough drama with couriers this year to know when to trust my gut and walk away.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:19 am

Aw, man! That's sad news. But you're right, sometimes things just aren't meant to be.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:22 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:19 am
Aw, man! That's sad news. But you're right, sometimes things just aren't meant to be.
For sure. To be honest, it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I've bought a lot of gear this year and had decided to reign it in a little for a couple of months - now we're staring down the barrel of another potential Coronavirus shutdown I'll be shut out of work again so a bit more in the bank can't hurt.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:47 am

Yeah. :unsure:

I'm damned lucky to have my early retirement. I dunno how I'd be getting by otherwise. Times are tough and getting tougher.