News Story about Guitar Center

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
jthomas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

News Story about Guitar Center

Post by jthomas » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:52 pm

graceless
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: News Story about Guitar Center

Post by graceless » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:50 am

This is probably not a good buy. I just can't see pandemic-level guitar spending continuing indefinitely.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:55 am

I mean, it's a great move for them, to capitalize on a brief surge of sales by going public.

It's an absolutely horrible move for anyone else to invest in them, though.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:07 pm

Regardless, I hope they do well. I don't have any grudges against Guitar Center.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:42 am

my understanding from guitar shops during the pandemic is they've been up since so many people who might have given up guitar years ago wanted to take it back up in their free time (no shade, i know a lot of people who did) and while it seems more people are going to stick with it, i think a lot of folk also..... splurged during the pandemic and are shortly going to be thinning the heard. personally, i don't think it's a growth market that's going to be sustainable like they think it's going to be. i think it's likely going to end up back to the way it was.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:26 am

Well, remember, around 2019 guitar manufacturers discovered that women exist and that they could market their products to those previously undiscovered human beings with money and hands.

No shit, I quoted the former head of Gibson on some thread and he said that when he took over Gibson that men made up 95% of guitar sales and then shortly before he was removed from his position in 2016 or so it had become 85%. That's like thirty years of these people and their contempt and complacence making them ignore a huge swath of the possible customers that they could have had.

So if Guitar Center and the rest of guitar culture can become less toxic and market to women, who have both money and hands as it turns out, then there genuinely is room for lasting and sustained growth.

There's always a limit, of course, and they've probably hit that with the old strategy of persuading the demographic that I am in to buy a dozen or more guitars. But I'm not, as as it turns out, the only marketing demographic that is out there.

I am a little skeptical to think that the guitar market will be contracting, assuming that guitar culture can change a little bit. That remains to be seen- I clicked on a link on Gear Page this weekend and it was about, no shit, who was the better, Ted Nugent or Gary Moore.

If you don't know who those old men are (and sadly out of the two of them the wrong one is dead), good for you, if you do know who they are and don't really like their music then you know why in 1986 women basically wanted nothing to do with the electric guitar.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Kent
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Kent » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:50 am

I always wince at Larry’s attempts to sell himself upon his ideologies.

It’s okay if you need to believe this stuff in order to feel like a good person. Even a touch of proselytizing has room in the world. Just don’t bet the farm on a marketing position that relies upon goals, KPIs, and hard numbers.
Last edited by Kent on Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:19 am

Kent wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:50 am
I always wonce at Larry’s attempts to sell himself upon his ideologies.

It’s okay if you need to believe this stuff in order to feel like a good person. Even a touch of proselytizing has room in the world. Just don’t bet the farm on a marketing position that relies upon goals, KPIs, and hard numbers.
That's funny, I don't pay attention to you at all.

However, I can absolutely provide information to back up what I am saying if you decide to challenge me further, otherwise you can just say your usual rude and pointless thing and recede back to wherever you go.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Mon Oct 25, 2021 5:57 am

IPO, eh? I don't think I like the idea of shareholder profits being the solitary driver of decision making. Although, from how they've been, I knew kinda they were already publicly traded.

I definitely don't think this is a superstonk.

Also, it's not that guitars can't be a growth industry. I kinda feel like they shouldn't be. We're already running out of traditional tone woods. I've seen some goofy looking grain being used in full price guitars.

Aren't the enough GCs? Don't they have enough inventory? IdK

I just hope they offer their long time employees some shares.
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

graceless
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by graceless » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:18 am

I completely agree with everything you said.
I think the 2020-21 boom is totally unsustainable barring a tectonic shift in music tastes in the younger generation(s)