Jerry Jones extravaganza!

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Paco
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Jerry Jones extravaganza!

Post by Paco » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:06 pm

My deep love for old Silvertone/Danelectro guitars has just found a new obsession, Jerry Jones guitars. I was already a bit familiar with them through Nels Cline and Wilco's using them all over their records and live shows, but this video really opened my eyes to the craft and mystique that surrounds the whole brand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vni3nh7 ... nel=AskZac

Zac Childs of the @AskZac channel did an amazing research on Jerry Jones, with an approximate timeline of the whole ordeal. He plays iconic and rare JJ's guitars/sitars and the tone is just unbelievable. I think I never GAS'ed so bad watching a youtube video :? . Its so sad that he's not making guitars anymore :fp:

Any love for Jerry Jones work over here?? I'm about to get the Jeff Senn bridge for my old U-1, I already installed a shim but I just need a lower action. Or just get a JJ and leave the original alone?? :fp:

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jerry Jones extravaganza!

Post by antisymmetric » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:35 pm

Yeah that was a good watch for sure. I learned a lot- his early pre-Dano work is pretty interesting too. 8)
Watching the corners turn corners

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:13 am

Jerry Jones stuff is great! I bought a baritone in about 2005 or so. It was the classic single cut body, two straight mounted lipsticks and wooden saddle. I emailed them directly (they were still in business at the time) asking approximately what year it was made. Jerry himself replied and said '97 and that they originally shipped it to the NYC area. I thought that was really cool that he personally responded.

The baritone was fantastic. Nice thin neck, great pickups, just a really solid feel all around. The shorter scale length on the Jerry Jones relative to Danelectros makes a night and day difference to me. I later bought a black Dano to have a second but it just didn't stack up and I sold it. Later, I ended up cashing out and selling the Jerry Jones too. I bought it cheap and the values went crazy later on. I instantly regretted it. It is my #1 guitar regret. I have another Korean made Dano right now and it still doesn't match up. I am probably selling it soon. I need to bite the bullet eventually and buy another Jerry Jones.

So, thats my story :D
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:54 am

I'd love to have a 12 string or something like that, but they are not just rare in the UK...they are non-existent pretty much.
Resident Spartan.

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:28 am

zhivago wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:54 am
I'd love to have a 12 string or something like that, but they are not just rare in the UK...they are non-existent pretty much.
I've lusted after the JJ 12-strings every time I've seen one- just to give them a whirl & compare with my one-day-to-be-all-inclusive-12-string-database.

I think over the years that I've been aware of them I've only seen 3 or 4 across all the various online portals here in the US, so yeah- pretty rare indeed.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:44 am

Yeah, they are great. I knew of Jerry Jones' stuff before I even knew that Danelectro was a thing. I used to look at this electric sitar of his and thought it was expensive.

Man, I should have bought that. No way to afford it now.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:10 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:44 am
Yeah, they are great. I knew of Jerry Jones' stuff before I even knew that Danelectro was a thing. I used to look at this electric sitar of his and thought it was expensive.

Man, I should have bought that. No way to afford it now.
Yeah, unfortunately the current prices just really don't make sense to me. I mean, sure, they are great guitars. Well built and sound super, but for $2000 to $3000 for a some of these like a baritone :wtf: For the $750 I originally paid for my old one, it was great. But fuck, if I had to pay over two thousand bucks for one, I think my expectations would be a lot different. I suppose that holds for a lot of other gear too now that I think about it :ph34r:
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:08 pm

i love sharin foo wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:10 pm

I suppose that holds for a lot of other gear too now that I think about it :ph34r:
Yeah... if I could travel back in time and talk to myself about what I should be buying while it was cheap, I guess the Jerry Jones stuff wouldn't top the list. C'est la vie and all that.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:34 pm

I have a JJ double cut bass. One lipstick pickup. it's a shortscale. I love playing it. I had it up for sale a couple of times, but I'm very glad it didn't sell. I got it just before he retired (so, before the price jump). It came to me full of dings and dents (even on the neck), but it still plays great.
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:54 pm

I have a JJ Master Sitar in a somewhat rarer white color.

It does the thing. It sounds pretty much like an electric sitar.

Is it quite as cool as a Coral sitar from the 60s? Probably not. But for the 1-2 times per year I need that sound, it’s more than adequate.

Original lipstick pickups are not that expensive, and I’ve been kicking around the idea of putting some 60s pickups in. At that point I think it’d be more than cool enough for me

fendertweed
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by fendertweed » Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:27 pm

I have a cool JJ Neptune double cut baritone, love it. Fortunately it was bought when they were still in production so an affordable high quality instrument then. :-*

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:07 am

Robert And Jimmy In Medium Amp Metropolis, April 27, 2015 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

It's a totally accurate build of the Neptune, NJ DC. Which makes it both great and annoying. I wound up trading it for my Waterloo 12-fret.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:30 am

Just saw this for sale, thought of this thread, figure you'd get a kick out of it: https://cnj.craigslist.org/msg/d/millto ... 56593.html

Yeah, $2000 is a lot of money for one of these. Very cool though. I wish they'd included more photos.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:32 am

Very cool guitar for sure!!! :-*
Resident Spartan.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:52 am

rbrcbr wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:30 am
Just saw this for sale, thought of this thread, figure you'd get a kick out of it: https://cnj.craigslist.org/msg/d/millto ... 56593.html

Yeah, $2000 is a lot of money for one of these. Very cool though. I wish they'd included more photos.
Nels-A-Licious!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.