NGD, what have I done?!? I'm a Flying V man now, apparently.

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
badform
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD, what have I done?!? I'm a Flying V man now, apparently.

Post by badform » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:06 pm

Okay... This is really weird - that was my guitar. It's off-white, and no branding on the headstock, right?

I bought that from Atomic, loved looking at it, never really played it, and after a year traded it to Chris in exchange for him fixing up my basketcase '62/'64 Musicmaster.

It's a small world, after all. ;)

Lost In Autumn wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:14 am
I’m not well versed in the varieties of Vees, but I’d say that it’s mostly a ‘58 style, with a V tailpiece and a bolt on neck. It was a surprisingly decent playing guitar- even the pickups sound alright- they’re most likely Maxons. Thanks to this thread, I can’t stop thinking about it now…

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:44 pm

badform wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:06 pm
Okay... This is really weird - that was my guitar. It's off-white, and no branding on the headstock, right?

I bought that from Atomic, loved looking at it, never really played it, and after a year traded it to Chris in exchange for him fixing up my basketcase '62/'64 Musicmaster.

It's a small world, after all. ;)

Lost In Autumn wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:14 am
I’m not well versed in the varieties of Vees, but I’d say that it’s mostly a ‘58 style, with a V tailpiece and a bolt on neck. It was a surprisingly decent playing guitar- even the pickups sound alright- they’re most likely Maxons. Thanks to this thread, I can’t stop thinking about it now…
I still haven’t made up my mind, mostly because I can’t sneak it into my collection. Any other shape would blend right in

badform
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by badform » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:09 am

Lost In Autumn wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:44 pm
I still haven’t made up my mind, mostly because I can’t sneak it into my collection. Any other shape would blend right in
I bought that guitar because it played so damn nice. It just had that feel and vibe when I held it and played it.

I'm a big fan of Flying V's. I've had a few over the years, and every time I see one in a store - especially a '58 style - I have to try it out.

My first "real" guitar was an '85(ish) Gibson Flying V XPL. Before that, I just had a shitty Synsonics mini-strat thing with two pickups and a built in amplifier. So the V was a HUGE step up for me. But we always hurt the ones we love, and the V was no exception. Here's what it looks like now, after decades of abuse and the stupidity of youth:

I don't pick it up anymore, but now I'm thinking I should go find a well used and abuse white guard to put on it, and maybe put the Dirty Fingers back in it. Hmmmm...

* Every time I look at it, I really wish it had the proper V headstock on it. *sigh*

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:32 am

badform wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:09 am
Lost In Autumn wrote:
I bought that guitar because it played so damn nice. It just had that feel and vibe when I held it and played it.

I'm a big fan of Flying V's. I've had a few over the years, and every time I see one in a store - especially a '58 style - I have to try it out.

My first "real" guitar was an '85(ish) Gibson Flying V XPL. Before that, I just had a shitty Synsonics mini-strat thing with two pickups and a built in amplifier. So the V was a HUGE step up for me. But we always hurt the ones we love, and the V was no exception. Here's what it looks like now, after decades of abuse and the stupidity of youth:

I don't pick it up anymore, but now I'm thinking I should go find a well used and abuse white guard to put on it, and maybe put the Dirty Fingers back in it. Hmmmm...

* Every time I look at it, I really wish it had the proper V headstock on it. *sigh*
I started out with V’s, too, although apropos to this forum, they were offset V’s. My first guitar was an Arbor Randy Rhoads replica, my second or third was a Kramer of the same shape.
It sounded better than a v with humbuckers should, too. I was working in the store that Saturday, noodling around with some Johnny Marr riffs and confusing the hell out of customers!

If you’re interested, I could do a sweet paint job on that, here’s some of my work: https://Instagram.com/sparklemotionguitars I’m doing a few for DiPinto this fall.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:33 am

Lost In Autumn wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:32 am
badform wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:09 am
Lost In Autumn wrote:

I started out with V’s, too, although apropos to this forum, they were offset V’s. My first guitar was an Arbor Randy Rhoads replica, my second or third was a Kramer of the same shape.
It (your old guitar) sounded better than a v with humbuckers should, too. I was working in the store that Saturday, noodling around with some Johnny Marr riffs and confusing the hell out of customers!

If you’re interested, I could do a sweet paint job on that, here’s some of my work: https://Instagram.com/sparklemotionguitars I’m doing a few for DiPinto this fall.

badform
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by badform » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:12 am

Lost In Autumn wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:32 am
It sounded better than a v with humbuckers should, too. I was working in the store that Saturday, noodling around with some Johnny Marr riffs and confusing the hell out of customers!

I think Vs are good, all around guitars that a lot of people think are for blues ('58 style) or glam/metal (anything else). They're missing out!

Haha! I think that my V needs to show the scars of my abuse. It's got a lot of story (even if I'm the only one who knows it), and it would be a shame to cover that up. If anything, I'll polish it down to a smooth surface removing as little remaining paint as possible, and then buff it.

I might have a hollowbody that needs painting. Look for a PM from me. :)

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:24 am

That dirty V is so rad! I love the maple neck!
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:55 am

I love the explorer/banana headstock on that distressed V !!!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:24 am

Yeah I'm not gonna lie, both the wear and headstock on that V are working for me. And the no-pole pickups. Hot damn! I've got to go put my Big Birds in mine now for looks as much as anything else. I was already considering getting some Zexcoil Tribuckers for it if the Wilde L500s don't work out, which look the same (no poles). I've talked about them before, but basically they're passive humbuckers with Fender single coil, PAF, and overwound PAF voices that are all noiseless and they sound amazing.

I literally had no idea that we had so many V enthusiasts on OSG. Learn something every day! I thought it was so ridiculous for me to have bought mine, and so revolutionary for me to realize that they're not just for 80's shred, but I see it's more that I'm late to the party than some sort of trailblazer :D
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

badform
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by badform » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:51 am

HNB wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:24 am
Haha! That's not maple, that's Gibson's off-white paint that's slowly yellowed and been dirtied/burned at various points in the past!

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:36 am

Fucking awesome!
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:15 pm

badform wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:51 am
HNB wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:24 am
Haha! That's not maple, that's Gibson's off-white paint that's slowly yellowed and been dirtied/burned at various points in the past!
Ohhhhh less cool then, but still cool looking. I love maple necks. :)
Christopher
Lilith Guitars