Dilemma: Strat content

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Dilemma: Strat content

Post by peterherman » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:47 am

I have found myself with an unrelenting jones for a Mary Kaye type Strat. The gold hardware is not necessary, so there are some options. The current Squier CV 50s Strat is available as you all are aware in white blonde with a maple neck and white pick guard. It's a Mary Kaye with chrome instead of gold.

BUT THEN

I get worried that I'll hate the Squier pickups. So, Guitar Fetish has a Xaviere Strat-type in white blonde and maple neck for about half of the cost of the Squier, which would allow for a pickup upgrade. I haven't been blown away by their fit-and-finish in the past, although I do like the Fender-y-er head stock they're using now.

OR

Do I go for a G&L Tribute S-500 in Sonic Blue, which isn't the same color but is in my top 3 (BMM and white blonde being the other two) favorite Fender colors. I know the MFDs are not exactly Strat-y, but I'm intrigued by their PTB wiring and the reports I've heard that the MFDs are a little bit more Jag-like.

What's a boy to do?

mekhem
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Dilemma: Strat content

Post by mekhem » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:45 am

There is something nice about that Mary Kaye finish.

Not sure what the budget is but there is/was a run if the AO 50's in Mary Kaye so thats something to consider. Also the neck - not sure that the
CV series has the V neck.

Also - its relatively easy to get a loaded pickguard with replacement pikups if the CV versions dont jibe.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Dilemma: Strat content

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:24 am

The G&L is the answer here.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.