NGD: 1998 Guild D4

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD: 1998 Guild D4

Post by seenoevil II » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:31 am

Finally, after 30 plus years, I have achieved the status of...

This assortment of packing materials showed up at my door, and it did not inspire confidence.

But here it is. My new buddy.

Here's the patented Guild Parabolic Death Ray laminated back. Otherwise, it's solid mahogany and spruce.

As you can see, it's got some life on the odometer.

Not my favorite Guild head stock shape, but still pretty handsome.

This was the only real bummer. I'm assuming because of the temperature and humidity fluctuations of shipping from GA to NJ, the rear binding on the waste came up and caught on the case. The plus side was being able to see into the binding channel and confirm that the back was solidly attached to the sides (and that the center ply in the laminated back was not also mahogany. Curious). But I put some wood glue in there and torqued it down with tape. As of this morning, the binding is rock solid.

This was an impulse buy. The deal was good. Not great, but likely the cheapest this model of guitar will be ever again. I've read where they used to go as low as $350 (which is just bonkers to me). But I can't imagine one of these ever selling for less than what I paid at this point, it was $200-500 cheaper than the other Reverb listings for the same. The guy probably got what he paid for it back and maybe some extra, but I suspect that I will too someday.

Condition is good/great. It's got all kinds of little dinks and scuffs. I like that because I don't have to treat it like a museum piece. The bridge saddle is very tall, so this thing at 24 years old is ages from a neck reset. The frets do appear to have been dressed down, and are now sitting at about .020"-.030". That's lower than I'm used to (especially considering my new Guild has Burj Khalifa frets). But the action is easy enough, all the notes sound clear and true.

It's loud, but not a cannon. Balanced. Not overly bassy. It frames the spectrum very nicely.

I kinda see this as a low key investment. It's my first "real acoustic" (although it's definitely as entry level as you can get for a US guitar). I'll either parlay this into a 70's D25, or just enjoy it for what it is. Either way, I think it's getting a pickup installed for gigging. Great couch buddy so far though.
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: 1998 Guild D4

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:44 am

Those are great guitars and I've almost bought one several times.

Even if you do get a D25, you'll always have use for other acoustics to live in alternate tunings, is how I feel about it.

And "balanced" is the Guild philosophy, from what I can tell.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:33 pm

They are the best acoustic guitars, bar none. I have a late 70s D25 that I love, and I'm in set to inherit two more (black and teal blue) when my parents are ready. I'm thrilled at the prospect of having a fleet of them.
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:21 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:33 pm
They are the best acoustic guitars, bar none. I have a late 70s D25 that I love, and I'm in set to inherit two more (black and teal blue) when my parents are ready. I'm thrilled at the prospect of having a fleet of them.
Teal blue you say. That's an interesting look.
Yeah, a nice brown D25m is very appealing to me. If I could find an intact one with an bridge that hasn't been shaved for a good price, I'd be pretty happy.

The neck on mine is fantastic. Very beefy.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:53 am

seenoevil II wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:21 pm
stevejamsecono wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:33 pm
Teal blue you say. That's an interesting look.
Yeah, a nice brown D25m is very appealing to me. If I could find an intact one with an bridge that hasn't been shaved for a good price, I'd be pretty happy.

The neck on mine is fantastic. Very beefy.
It's pretty unique and don't think they are terribly common. Looks exactly like this one: https://reverb.com/item/10459703-guild- ... -1981-blue

And yeah, the Brown ones look nice. That's what I have. I got it for $450 on MA/RI craigslist a decade ago and it's been my one and only on the acoustic side.

All three play great. I think I prefer my Mom's black one the best, but they are fairly consistent and that Guild 'thing' has made it hard for me to take most other acoustic guitars seriously because I feel like they are either warm and muffly (Martin) or bright and tinny (Taylor).

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:29 am

I'm very new to Guilds myself, but I did get a D-40 a couple years ago, and immediately realized I had been a fool overlooking the brand for all these years.

And then I became aware of what value they are compared to other brands yet still meet or exceed the quality of their competitors.

That's no shit, by the way... I bought that D-40 because I wanted a long scale classic mahogany dreadnaught, didn't want to meet the Martin D-18 price. I later got a trade offer for a D-18 so I went up to the guitar store across the street and played one for a while, and concluded it offered nothing I didn't already have.

And to be honest with you I kind of prefer the Guild since it is, like you say, very well balanced across the strings.

These True Americans are constructed just as well as anything else, just with a different wood in the fingerboard than is stereotypical and of course they are more barebones in appearance.

Which really makes them perfect for alternate tunings and I have thought about picking a couple up.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:36 am

My friend, I do believe that is Lake Plcid Blue right there. LPB guild acoustics being a thing is very good news to me.

But, yeah. I passed on a D25 spruce top with a dearmond sound hole unit already installed for $425. Been kicking myself ever since.

Pretty soon none of these will go for sub 1k. It's kinda bonkers that "vintage" American made, solid wood guitars ever would. I got a Westerly built guitar for less than their import Westerly series equivalent.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:58 am

Next time I'm home I'll snap a photo of my dad's. He was batting a thousand for awhile there when I was really little (vintage Jazzmaster, Ric 325, Guild 12 String, this Guild) but through a series of dumb family mishaps and his own disinterest all of them are gone now save the blue Guild. Not only that, he got really into shreddy Ibanez guitars :k

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS