NGD: p90 Les Paul

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
peterherman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: p90 Les Paul

Post by peterherman » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:42 pm

Holy cats, that's a looker!

Just traded for a VERY downmarket P90 LP (Double-cut Tribute Special), but I do love a P90 Gibson.

DrQuasar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrQuasar » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:14 pm

Super cool. You going to do an amber switch tip or keep the black? Maybe amber won't look right with the chrome.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:59 pm

DrQuasar wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:14 pm
Super cool. You going to do an amber switch tip or keep the black? Maybe amber won't look right with the chrome.
I think I am going to leave everything black. I was considering doing a BWBWB pick guard but now I'm not so sure. The whole combo is really growing on me! It sounds so good that I've been playing it too much to think about changing anything!
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

MKR
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MKR » Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:30 am

Maggieo wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:19 am
:D :D :D

And ya i agree with that. That les paul is hot as fuck!

DrQuasar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrQuasar » Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:39 am

Yeah it's hard to beat black and chrome.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:40 am

That is a beautiful looking LP. For those who are interested, the first ever LP is about to be auctioned. https://www.gearnews.com/les-pauls-firs ... he-hammer/

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:23 am

That's a beaut. I've tried a lot of the Classics from then and have been tempted to pull the trigger on all of them. Great guitars, good job.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:35 am

Three words: mini humbucker bridge.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:58 pm

Congrats & enjoy! That's a beauty! Looks-wise, it would make for a nice pairing with it's older cousin, the ES-135. 8)

The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:41 pm

I have a couple weeks worth of play time on it by now. Usually by this time, I’m feeling like the thrill has worn off. The point where most guitars and other gear just become so-so. Well, I just went downstairs and gave it another run through with the Green GT120 and fuck, it just keeps sounding better and better the more I get used to it. I’ve been waiting for the right Les Paul for a while now and this one was worth the time spent looking for it. It’s tuned to C right now and I think that’s where it will stay. My Travis Bean is tuned to C as well and the two SGs to A. Right now I have some rounds on it, but it’ll get flats soon enough. Still working out the gauges in my head.

I had planned on swapping the pickups but I don’t think that I can. One of my SGs has Duncan Antiquity p90s and they sound great. BUT, I lost some of that rough around the edges bite that the originals had. For this particular guitar and it’s place in my toolbox, I think it’s gotta stay the way it is.

I got a super cool Original Fuzz strap for it, but it’s still a boat anchor. But so is the tone, so I’ll deal.

burpgun
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burpgun » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:29 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:41 pm
I have a couple weeks worth of play time on it by now. Usually by this time, I’m feeling like the thrill has worn off. The point where most guitars and other gear just become so-so. Well, I just went downstairs and gave it another run through with the Green GT120 and fuck, it just keeps sounding better and better the more I get used to it. I’ve been waiting for the right Les Paul for a while now and this one was worth the time spent looking for it. It’s tuned to C right now and I think that’s where it will stay. My Travis Bean is tuned to C as well and the two SGs to A. Right now I have some rounds on it, but it’ll get flats soon enough. Still working out the gauges in my head.

I had planned on swapping the pickups but I don’t think that I can. One of my SGs has Duncan Antiquity p90s and they sound great. BUT, I lost some of that rough around the edges bite that the originals had. For this particular guitar and it’s place in my toolbox, I think it’s gotta stay the way it is.

I got a super cool Original Fuzz strap for it, but it’s still a boat anchor. But so is the tone, so I’ll deal.
So those are like baritone type tunings right? I'm curious about that. I had a 27 inch scale baritone Telecaster years ago that struggled to intonate properly because the bridge should have been a little farther out from the neck. With that in mind, I wondered how these tunings work on an even shorter scale guitar.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:02 pm

burpgun wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:29 am

So those are like baritone type tunings right? I'm curious about that. I had a 27 inch scale baritone Telecaster years ago that struggled to intonate properly because the bridge should have been a little farther out from the neck. With that in mind, I wondered how these tunings work on an even shorter scale guitar.
For what I play and how I use it, I don’t need intonation to be perfect. I also play with a light touch which helps. So, close enough is good enough for me. But yeah, you probably wouldn’t be able to get it perfect. Theres not a wide range of adjustment with these bridges.

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:10 pm

Ha, just picked up one of these myself. Put reflector knobs on.

I LOVE p90 Les Pauls. I have a nitro Tokai one that admittedly is far nicer than the Gibson, but that's a given as it is literally the best Les Paul I've ever played.
I find the Gibson pickups aren't as 'sweet' as the Tokai's- a bit harsher. Not a bad thing, but personally I think I may either have them rewound OR put minis in and convert it to a Deluxe...

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:06 am

JamesSGBrown wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:10 pm
Ha, just picked up one of these myself. Put reflector knobs on.

I LOVE p90 Les Pauls. I have a nitro Tokai one that admittedly is far nicer than the Gibson, but that's a given as it is literally the best Les Paul I've ever played.
I find the Gibson pickups aren't as 'sweet' as the Tokai's- a bit harsher. Not a bad thing, but personally I think I may either have them rewound OR put minis in and convert it to a Deluxe...
Nice!

I am still in love with mine. I have had my fair share of Gibsons and I'll say that this one is one of the better as far as quality goes. I've not found anything that I am not happy with. I was initially inclined to swap out the pickups just because that is what I always do but I am not so sure right now. IF I do, I think I will put a fairly hot p90 in the bridge and a lower output in the neck position for some good versatility. One of my SGs has a pair of Duncan Antiquities, so I could do something a bit different with this one. When/ If the time comes, this one will get Bareknuckles.