The $29 Guitar Is Finished !!!

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Lame Pseudonym
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

The $29 Guitar Is Finished !!!

Post by Lame Pseudonym » Sun May 09, 2021 7:42 pm

.Image

There she is, and if she ain't cute there is no cute.

Original: Body and all hardware except the neck pickup and the pots (the controls behind the knobs), because I have a pot preference that nobody else has. And the gloriously beautiful original aged maple neck

New: New rosewood fingerboard from the bargain bin (reject-grade), new frets, new nut, new tuners, new pots, new bridge pickup (I like one ALNICO and one Ceramic. I don't know why).

I really really like the way this little sucker came out. She's a keeper for sure. She just loves to be played.

For those who haven't been following this story from the beginning, I saw a Mark II guitar in a pawn shop for $29 and fell in love with the way it looked. It was really a toy-grade specimen with Hopalong Cassidy tuners and a fingerboard that was all warped and not glued on all the way and would have been junk even if it wasn't. Really just a toy. But I loved the way it looked, and the fundamental part of the neck was just freakin' beautiful.

So it was kind of an adopting an orphan kind of thing and she has blossomed into a real beauty.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The $29 Guitar Is Finished !!!

Post by mackerelmint » Sun May 09, 2021 10:18 pm

Wow! I really like how the "centerline" of the guitar isn't in the center... I'm curious: what *is* your pot preference?

There's something about polishing turds into diamonds that's just great fun to do and to watch. Nice one!
This is an excellent rectangle

Lame Pseudonym
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lame Pseudonym » Mon May 10, 2021 4:48 am

For pots I like 250k linear for volume, and for the tone control, 100k audio with the top cut off so it's infinity k with the tone on 10, and then after you click onto the resistive track it's a very smooth transition all the way down.

To correct a couple of errors, I said that the bridge pickup was new. That's an oopsie, I meant neck.

And in case anyone wonders why I described what pots are, this was just a paste of a post I sent my non-musician friends.

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Tue May 11, 2021 7:22 am

Are those headstock lights LED, or lasers? Looks like a cool light show either way!

Pyewm-pyewmm!