Sudden Guitar Obsession: Ever happen to you?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Sudden Guitar Obsession: Ever happen to you?

Post by Surfysonic » Fri May 14, 2021 9:12 am

When does it not happen to me? :D
fuzzjunkie wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 8:31 am
When Fender bought Gretsch all that changed. They introduced Silver Falcons, Black Falcons and even a Black Phoenix. They were still huge and expensive though. It just felt strange playing a guitar that big after playing Jaguars and Telecasters for so long. I kept thinking I should just get a thin line Tennessee Rose or something as my Gretsch guitar, but that idea just never got off the ground.

A few years ago Fender introduced a thin line Silver Falcon. I grabbed one and it is perfect. I could barely afford it, but I finally had a guitar that I had wanted for almost 20 years.

So grab that LPB Coronado if you can. $2000 is less than half (a third?) the price you’d pay for a vintage LPB Jazzmaster, and maybe less than what a new one goes for.
I'm a huge Gretsch fan and every few years or so when I can, I attend Gretsch fan gatherings called Gretsch Roundups. They're like music family reunions - fun times.

The Gretsch family bought back the Gretsch line of instruments from Baldwin in '85 and to this day, still retain ownership. In '89, Gretsch restarted large scale production of new guitars based on the classic Gretsch models. The pro line guitars are made by Terada in Japan, Electromatics are made by Samick in Korea, and the Streamliner line of guitars are built in Indonesia.

In 2002, Fender and Gretsch did a deal giving Fender control over marketing, production, and distribution. In the Fender factory in Corona, the Gretsch Custom Shop is located in one of the upper levels of the building. I did a Fender tour when I went out to a Surf Guitar 101 convention back in 2018. I had the opportunity to go to get a private tour with some fellow Gretsch nerds of the Gretsch Custom Shop, but I had to get back to LA to get my luggage that was lost by the airlines for a few days after I arrived. It would have been nice to check out the Custom Shop. :(

My Gretsch guitars from L to R:
  • Gretsch G6196T-59 Vintage Select '59 Country Club with stock TV Jones Filter'Tron Classic pickups (I won this guitar in a giveaway contest at one of the Nashville Gretsch Roundup gatherings)
  • Gretsch G6120BS (blueburst) Chet Atkins Hollow Body modded with TV Jones T-Armond pickups
  • Gretsch G5410T Electromatic Rat Rod modded with Fralin Hum-Cancelling Dogear P90s
  • Gretsch G2215-P90 Streamliner Junior Jet Club
  • Gretsch FSR G5135 CVT Electromatic modded with Gretsch HS Filter'Trons pickups (from the 6120BS)
  • Gretsch Astro Jet body partsbuild, the Astro-Sonic with TV Jones T-Armond pickups

I also have the Gretsch G6128T-53 Vintage Select '53 Duo Jet with stock TV Jones T-Armond pickups, but I'm in process of moving it on to help pay for my recent Fender acquisitions.

There's a slim chance I might be able to hold on to it...here's hoping! :whistle:
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Fri May 14, 2021 5:50 pm

I also have the Gretsch G6128T-53 Vintage Select '53 Duo Jet with stock TV Jones T-Armond pickups, but I'm in process of moving it on to help pay for my recent Fender acquisitions.
About 10 years ago I visited a local shop and the owner pulled a 1954 Gretsch Duo Jet out of the back for me to try. A Duo Jet was a backup plan if I never found a Silver Falcon. It had blocks and DeArmonds just like that and was one of the top 5 guitars I have ever played.

I thought briefly of trading my 1962 Jaguar and some cash for it, but three things stopped me.

1- I had just bought a house and didn’t really have the cash to make up the difference.
2- I wasn’t quite ready to settle for a Duo Jet over the Silver Falcon, but both might be really nice.
3- As good as it sounded, I preferred the look of the later ‘50s Gretsch that George Harrison played. I thought if I settled it would be for a ‘57-58 Duo Jet.

It didn’t last long, I went back a couple of weeks later and it had sold. Jeff Beck has a ‘53 or ‘54 and although he doesn’t play it live very often, he claims it’s one of his favorite guitars because it sounds so good.

hansbrinker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hansbrinker » Fri May 14, 2021 8:31 pm

wproffitt wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 6:26 am
That is gorgeous! Did it come with the gold guards and truss rod cover or did you customize?
Thanks!

No, it came with a white guard and TRC. I bit the bullet (gulp) and bought a genuine gold TRC off eBay. Got the guards from Pickguardian.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Fri May 14, 2021 8:41 pm

I’ve become Gretsch-curious lately. This isn’t helping... or maybe it is. :fp:

hansbrinker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hansbrinker » Fri May 14, 2021 11:51 pm

marqueemoon wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:41 pm
Well... I bought this last year...

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat May 15, 2021 8:19 am

hansbrinker wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:51 pm
marqueemoon wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 8:41 pm
Well... I bought this last year...

Yes, this part is worthless without pictures.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sat May 15, 2021 10:22 pm

fuzzjunkie wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:50 pm
About 10 years ago I visited a local shop and the owner pulled a 1954 Gretsch Duo Jet out of the back for me to try. A Duo Jet was a backup plan if I never found a Silver Falcon. It had blocks and DeArmonds just like that and was one of the top 5 guitars I have ever played.

I thought briefly of trading my 1962 Jaguar and some cash for it, but three things stopped me.

1- I had just bought a house and didn’t really have the cash to make up the difference.
2- I wasn’t quite ready to settle for a Duo Jet over the Silver Falcon, but both might be really nice.
3- As good as it sounded, I preferred the look of the later ‘50s Gretsch that George Harrison played. I thought if I settled it would be for a ‘57-58 Duo Jet.

It didn’t last long, I went back a couple of weeks later and it had sold. Jeff Beck has a ‘53 or ‘54 and although he doesn’t play it live very often, he claims it’s one of his favorite guitars because it sounds so good.
Sold the Duo Jet to a fellow Gretsch guy on one of the Gretsch forums. Ah, well, it was nice to have and I'm sure I'm going to miss it. Luckily, I can always hunt for one down the road as they don't change out the models too often.

For those interested in Gretsch guitars, they are really nice quality instruments at any level. My cheapie Streamliner Junior Jet Club is very nice and fun to get my punk on with.
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Unicorn Warrior
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Unicorn Warrior » Mon May 17, 2021 4:55 am

Yeah.

Currently I’m building a replica of Kevin Shield’s red Jazzmaster.

So many other guitars I’ve done this with. And amps too.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Tue May 18, 2021 12:45 am

wproffitt wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:47 am

Now, for some reason, it seems to have shifted to a Gibson Firebird V (in Cardinal Red, no less).
I guess I can *kind of* convince myself that a 12-string would add to what I have, but the Firebird had more to do with me being obsessed with the looks. I do like the sound , too, but I guess I’m just a sucker for cutting edge designs from that era. Wish me (and my wallet) luck. I’ve got a 2022 vacation to save for! :D
I've been GASsing pretty hard for a firebird; I'm half tempted to do a kit.

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Thu May 20, 2021 3:53 pm

If we really want to go over the top, there’s also this:

Cob
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Cob » Thu May 20, 2021 4:30 pm

This is how I ended up with 5 offsets and an account on an Offset guitar forum :D

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Fri May 21, 2021 6:38 am

Cob wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 4:30 pm
This is how I ended up with 5 offsets and an account on an Offset guitar forum :D
THIS

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri May 21, 2021 1:20 pm

Cob wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 4:30 pm
PREACH!!! :D :D :D :D :fp:
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sat May 22, 2021 5:29 am

Because I am a piano/Hammond player I have always known (well sort of) the sounds of keyboards that I love (and hate), so my collection of vintage keyboards (Rhodes, Hofner Pianet T, Pianet N, Wurliter, Ensoniq ESQ1) and modern keyboards (Vintage Vibe 64, Roland something, Korg minilogue XD) were just on the list to get … now I have them.... as pointed out I initially forgot to list my Hammond... yes I have one as everyone should 😊

But for me guitars and basses are a different matter. I have (or had) no intrinsic understanding of what type/brand of guitar made a particular sound/tonal pallet because growing up I wasn't interested in them. But in the past 20 years all that obviously changed.

So when I hear something that as the kids on the street say "blows my mind" I have to find out all about that guitar. Now because I cannot go out and try various versions or styles (not living in the US or Europe) I have to do my research … and those who know me know that I do dive in deeply when I am on the hunt for a guitar or bass. I need to know how they sound (and youtube has helped immensely with this) but I also need to know the playability, whether a particular year is better, how the neck profiles changed, issues that may mean a vintage model actually isn't worth pursuing . Then once I have worked out the range of years and features and even finishes I start looking at what is available, the cost range (including shipping to Oz) … all the things one might do if there were 10 close by guitar stores that had the guitar I desired... but for me it is done on the interwebz.

I also realise that it is sometimes better to pay the top end price at a known dealer than trying to risk some unknown private sellers... but then again bargains can still be had like the 1964 J-50 I picked up a few years back for song … exchange rates also have to be considered.

I have become quite adept at this and a full on weekend of research usually leads me to 4 or 5 possible instruments located anywhere in the world.

An example when I first heard a Hofner Club 50 … I immediately fell in love with this little beauty and I also learnt very early on in my research that the vintage examples from the 50s/60s didn't have truss rods and in most cases had a degree of neck twist. But fortunately Hofner has limited edition versions from what is their custom shop and I picked up two (SC/SC and HB/HB) from two sellers in the US within a week of making my decision and extremely low costs.

My Gibson L-48 archtop is another example … spent two weekends researching and listening to every youtube clip there was and decided on a 1958 or 1959 model as their necks appear to be made similar to the well sort after ES 335s of the same era and that late 50s version was a all mahogany, something I did not have. Found one in almost mint condition at a seller I had bought from before and never looked back.

So yes I have had many obsessions about guitars … not because a player I liked used one but more because I heard one being played and thought to myself that I must get one.

I then also have the obsession of the obsession.... find a particular model/brand and then realise that there are others from the same manufacturer that are sufficiently different but also have a great sound that I must have. Gibson/Epiphone acoustics of the late 50s and 60s falls into that category. And maybe 60s Gibson/Epiphone thinline guitars.

Never liked the neck of a Precision bass but loved the sound. Then I saw available a 1976 Olympic White (yellowed) P Bass with a special factory order with a Jazz bass nut width P bass neck. After 2 days of going back to the shops website many times I knew I had to make an enquiry about it and now it is in my second bedroom and plays/sounds awesome (and big).

The itch has to be scratched.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

MrFingers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrFingers » Sat May 22, 2021 7:33 am

sookwinder wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 5:29 am
Because I am a piano/Hammond player I have always known (well sort of) the sounds of keyboards that I love (and hate), so my collection of vintage keyboards (Rhodes, Hofner Pianet T, Pianet N, Wurliter, Ensoniq ESQ1) and modern keyboards (Vintage Vibe 64, Roland something, Korg minilogue XD) were just on the list to get … now I have them
But no Hammond :freako: