Sudden Guitar Obsession: Ever happen to you?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
hansbrinker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Sudden Guitar Obsession: Ever happen to you?

Post by hansbrinker » Fri May 07, 2021 3:59 pm

Ever see a guitar (that you've never really thought much about before) several times in a row in a short amount of time and then have an obsessive urge to possess it?

I was watching a documentary about Martin Phillipps of The Chills where he played a Lake Placid Blue Fender Coronado II. I've always liked the look of them but I never seriously thought about buying one. THEN the next night I watched a documentary about Scottish bands in the 80s and saw where Paul Haig for the band Josef K also played a LPB Coronado! :?

It's just so weird and random — I'm not even particularly a huge fan of either band. Maybe the universe is telling me I need this guitar (yeah... that's it...), though I need a new guitar like I need a hole in the head.

So, now I'm obsessed. I could always refinish one of the recent reissues, but I prefer the vintage models. Too bad the cheapest vintage LPB Coronado II models are $2k+! :(

Martin Phillipps (bad photo of poor Marty):

Paul Haig:

Detail of Paul Haig's Coronado that he bought from Edwyn Collins:

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Sudden Guitar Obsession: Ever happen to you?

Post by HarlowTheFish » Fri May 07, 2021 4:44 pm

Me with Mustangs after I heard Miles Davis' Bitches Brew and learned that John McLaughlin was playing a Mustang on that album.

I had to have one.

Now I have one hanging on my wall, and the Mustang equivalent of a superstrat in the works -- both, funnily enough, in LPB which is objectively the best color for everything.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Sat May 08, 2021 3:33 am

Yes. Has happened many a times.
Still does... :fp:
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sat May 08, 2021 8:31 am

Sometimes the obsession can last a long time.

I saw Robert Smith holding a black Gretsch Falcon on the cover of guitar player magazine back in the mid ‘90s.

I had always liked the look and sound of the White Falcon, whether it was Neil Young, or the Edge, or any of a dozen British ‘80s bands strumming them in videos. The trouble was when I finally found one in the shop, it seemed huge, too much gold, and way out of my price range. I ended up with a beat up Country Club to scratch the Gretsch itch, but I still thought the Falcon looked so cool. It just wasn’t for me.

Until I saw Robert with a Black one. With silver instead of gold hardware and trim! That was perfection that I didn’t even know existed. Unfortunately they were exceedingly rare.

When Fender bought Gretsch all that changed. They introduced Silver Falcons, Black Falcons and even a Black Phoenix. They were still huge and expensive though. It just felt strange playing a guitar that big after playing Jaguars and Telecasters for so long. I kept thinking I should just get a thin line Tennessee Rose or something as my Gretsch guitar, but that idea just never got off the ground.

A few years ago Fender introduced a thin line Silver Falcon. I grabbed one and it is perfect. I could barely afford it, but I finally had a guitar that I had wanted for almost 20 years.

So grab that LPB Coronado if you can. $2000 is less than half (a third?) the price you’d pay for a vintage LPB Jazzmaster, and maybe less than what a new one goes for.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Sat May 08, 2021 11:06 am

I feel that way about Gibbard's Antigua Coronado..... You can see it in the You Are a Tourist video.

Last edited by HNB on Mon May 10, 2021 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

snarf
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by snarf » Sat May 08, 2021 2:21 pm

tons of times:
damon albarn playing a mustang in the gorillaz documentary - found a nice white mustang with red tort soon after
any guitar I see mike campbell play or johnny marr play

rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rank » Sat May 08, 2021 4:13 pm

Yes. Currently Ira Kaplan's Strat & I really don't like Strats.
We are merely moving shadows.

debudavid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by debudavid » Sat May 08, 2021 5:35 pm

Totally understand the obsession with LPB Coronados. Susie Higgins from Falling Joys has played one for years.

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Mon May 10, 2021 8:33 am

Last summer I got a strong urge for a Gibson ES-339. I listened to weeks of demos and looking up info online on them. And then I found one in a local store and I knew within 60 seconds of it being in my hand that this was not the guitar for me. Cured my GAS right there. Haven't looked at one again.

MrFingers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrFingers » Mon May 10, 2021 10:48 am

Sunburst ES-345's. They pop up everywhere, in 50+% of the concert registrations I see, there is someone wielding that schmexy split parallellogram inlaid neck, and the varitone disc shining in the harsh studio lights.

But yeah, not happening anytime soon :unsure:

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Tue May 11, 2021 6:53 am

YES. ALL. THE. TIME. YES.

I have a lifelong problem with this syndrome.

Fortunately. (?) My serious obsessions tend towards the very-rare-or-expensive-enough-that-they-take-decades-to-acquire, so I've got a rather short list. Here it is, along with my progress in each category:

1) ALL THE SURFCASTER 12s IN THE WORLD. - In progress. (I currently have 2)

2) A SURFCASTER 12 IN ALL 6 FACTORY COLORS. - Again, in progress. I've owned at least one of each, just not at the same time.

3) A STEINBERGER M-BODY 12-STRING. - Check! (Took me 30 years to find/afford it)

4) A CUSTOM-BUILT FENDER XII TO MY PERSONAL SPECS. - Check! (Texas Toast and Sonichris here on OSG make dreams come true!)

5) A VINTAGE FENDER XII, CUSTOM COLOR, MATCHING HS, B&B NECK. - The hunt is still on!

6) A VINTAGE CORONADO XII IN A COOL COLOR. - The hunt continues!

7) AN OVATION BREADWINNER/DEACON 12-STRING. - More hunting!

8) A CHARVEL DESOLATION SKATECASTER SK-1FR. - I have one... just the hardtail model, not the Floyd Rose one.

Trouble is, The damn list keeps growing, even as I check stuff off. Like, where did that skatecaster come from?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Tue May 11, 2021 9:12 am

My entire collection is because of this.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Tue May 11, 2021 9:41 am

Maggieo wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:12 am
My entire collection is because of this.
:D :D :D :-*
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

hansbrinker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hansbrinker » Tue May 11, 2021 12:46 pm

debudavid wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 5:35 pm
Totally understand the obsession with LPB Coronados. Susie Higgins from Falling Joys has played one for years.

You are NOT helping! :unsure: :D

hansbrinker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hansbrinker » Tue May 11, 2021 12:47 pm

SignoftheDragon wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:53 am
YES. ALL. THE. TIME. YES.

I have a lifelong problem with this syndrome.

Fortunately. (?) My serious obsessions tend towards the very-rare-or-expensive-enough-that-they-take-decades-to-acquire, so I've got a rather short list. Here it is, along with my progress in each category:

1) ALL THE SURFCASTER 12s IN THE WORLD. - In progress. (I currently have 2)

2) A SURFCASTER 12 IN ALL 6 FACTORY COLORS. - Again, in progress. I've owned at least one of each, just not at the same time.

3) A STEINBERGER M-BODY 12-STRING. - Check! (Took me 30 years to find/afford it)

4) A CUSTOM-BUILT FENDER XII TO MY PERSONAL SPECS. - Check! (Texas Toast and Sonichris here on OSG make dreams come true!)

5) A VINTAGE FENDER XII, CUSTOM COLOR, MATCHING HS, B&B NECK. - The hunt is still on!

6) A VINTAGE CORONADO XII IN A COOL COLOR. - The hunt continues!

7) AN OVATION BREADWINNER/DEACON 12-STRING. - More hunting!

8) A CHARVEL DESOLATION SKATECASTER SK-1FR. - I have one... just the hardtail model, not the Floyd Rose one.

Trouble is, The damn list keeps growing, even as I check stuff off. Like, where did that skatecaster come from?
I hear you about the Fender XII (and I even own a Rick 360v64 12-string!). I too am obsessed with B&B w/matching headstock Fenders.