NGD: 1972 Fender Thinline Project a.k.a. The Sparkle Survivor

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
User avatar
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16311
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am
Location: glasgow

Re: NGD: 1972 Fender Thinline Project a.k.a. The Sparkle Survivor

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:58 pm

i love it.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2702
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:12 am
Location: U.S. of fuckin' A.

Re: NGD: 1972 Fender Thinline Project a.k.a. The Sparkle Survivor

Post by Singlebladepickup » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:47 pm

I wouldn't have picked any of the features of this guitar myself, and yet I wouldn't change a thing about it

User avatar
Kent
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 707
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:56 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact:

Re: NGD: 1972 Fender Thinline Project a.k.a. The Sparkle Survivor

Post by Kent » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:31 pm

A gorgeous warhorse! I’d love to see the rear though; both neck plugs and the amateurish routing.

User avatar
alvinstraight
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:25 am
Location: Oslo

Re: NGD: 1972 Fender Thinline Project a.k.a. The Sparkle Survivor

Post by alvinstraight » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:43 pm

smjenkins wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:14 pm
This does look really good in the pics.

I'm almost scared to ask, but what does the back look like with the strat trem route?
These were definitely the "Tinder" shots. Am going away for a few days but will make sure to post some less flattering pics when I get back. I do think that just getting a back cover plus sorting out the mods for the locking nut would make it feel less like a suffering survivor.

User avatar
Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16661
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:34 pm
Location: Cococologne, Germany

Re: NGD: 1972 Fender Thinline Project a.k.a. The Sparkle Survivor

Post by Pacafeliz » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:47 am

God I'm so hot for this guitar... Dibs if you ever wanna get rid of it! ❤️
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

User avatar
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16311
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am
Location: glasgow

Re: NGD: 1972 Fender Thinline Project a.k.a. The Sparkle Survivor

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:23 am

Pacafeliz wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:47 am
God I'm so hot for this guitar... Dibs if you ever wanna get rid of it! ❤️
dude, it would look perfect in your collection. actually what is your collection like nowadays?
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

User avatar
Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16661
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:34 pm
Location: Cococologne, Germany

Re: NGD: 1972 Fender Thinline Project a.k.a. The Sparkle Survivor

Post by Pacafeliz » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:36 pm

:ph34r: ...insane man, insane... :wtf:
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

User avatar
SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1355
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:06 am
Location: Utah, USA
Contact:

Re: NGD: 1972 Fender Thinline Project a.k.a. The Sparkle Survivor

Post by SignoftheDragon » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:04 pm

It's BEAUTIFUL.

Honestly from the photos here the route doesn't look like a Floyd route to me- maybe some kind of Schaller or Jackson-ish on-the-top variant. (true Floyd routs cut out a heap of wood behind the bridge for the fine-tuning array.) If not, they may just have been trying to get a strat trem in there, and decided to put a neck-lock on there to stabilize tuning more? Doesn't really make sense, but peeps get crazy with their mods.

Regarding the trem in a thinline- is there air between the front and back on these, or is the hollow portion just in the wings? It'd be really wacky to try to put a trem like that on a true hollow body, eh?

MOAR PICS PLZ.

User avatar
HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 518
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:09 pm

Re: NGD: 1972 Fender Thinline Project a.k.a. The Sparkle Survivor

Post by HarlowTheFish » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:24 pm

SignoftheDragon wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:04 pm
It's BEAUTIFUL.

Honestly from the photos here the route doesn't look like a Floyd route to me- maybe some kind of Schaller or Jackson-ish on-the-top variant. (true Floyd routs cut out a heap of wood behind the bridge for the fine-tuning array.) If not, they may just have been trying to get a strat trem in there, and decided to put a neck-lock on there to stabilize tuning more? Doesn't really make sense, but peeps get crazy with their mods.

Regarding the trem in a thinline- is there air between the front and back on these, or is the hollow portion just in the wings? It'd be really wacky to try to put a trem like that on a true hollow body, eh?

MOAR PICS PLZ.
Flat-mounts don't need any extra routing, just enough for the block and bar. Everything sits on the top (and I think I see a depression in the finish that's about the right size for a top-mount Floyd around the Strat trem). The Ibanez locking trems and the Floyd Pros have stuff under the fine-tuners so they mostly can't be mounted flat (with the Original Edge being the one exception).

IIRC Thinlines always have a block under where the bridge is and all the ones I've seen have had a centerblock, so there's room to stick a trem on them. Bigsbys can be rough because some have another chamber behind the bridge, but some are solid back there, and only the latter can take a flat-mount Bigsby.

User avatar
alvinstraight
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:25 am
Location: Oslo

Re: NGD: 1972 Fender Thinline Project a.k.a. The Sparkle Survivor

Post by alvinstraight » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:58 am

HarlowTheFish wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:24 pm
SignoftheDragon wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:04 pm
It's BEAUTIFUL.

Honestly from the photos here the route doesn't look like a Floyd route to me- maybe some kind of Schaller or Jackson-ish on-the-top variant. (true Floyd routs cut out a heap of wood behind the bridge for the fine-tuning array.) If not, they may just have been trying to get a strat trem in there, and decided to put a neck-lock on there to stabilize tuning more? Doesn't really make sense, but peeps get crazy with their mods.

Regarding the trem in a thinline- is there air between the front and back on these, or is the hollow portion just in the wings? It'd be really wacky to try to put a trem like that on a true hollow body, eh?

MOAR PICS PLZ.
Flat-mounts don't need any extra routing, just enough for the block and bar. Everything sits on the top (and I think I see a depression in the finish that's about the right size for a top-mount Floyd around the Strat trem). The Ibanez locking trems and the Floyd Pros have stuff under the fine-tuners so they mostly can't be mounted flat (with the Original Edge being the one exception).

IIRC Thinlines always have a block under where the bridge is and all the ones I've seen have had a centerblock, so there's room to stick a trem on them. Bigsbys can be rough because some have another chamber behind the bridge, but some are solid back there, and only the latter can take a flat-mount Bigsby.
Yeah, I'm only going by the information given by the seller. Of course, for some (including myself), several of those advanced floating 80s trem systems fall into the category of "Floyd Rose." It does seem like the routing is slightly bigger than the strat trem that is currently fitted.

I haven't investigated carefully, but I think this body is hollow only in the wings.

More pics upcoming when I get back this weekend 🙂

User avatar
alvinstraight
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 64
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:25 am
Location: Oslo

Re: NGD: 1972 Fender Thinline Project a.k.a. The Sparkle Survivor

Post by alvinstraight » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:36 am

Some less flattering pics. But wow, picking this up after a few days away, I have a very good feeling about how this guitar will turn out once it has had its issues sorted.

Edit: One hour after I posted this the guitar was sent off to my luthier for work: refret, new nut, plugging the locking nut craters, and matching backplate. Very excited to see what I get back in a couple of weeks!

Image


Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16661
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:34 pm
Location: Cococologne, Germany

Re: NGD: 1972 Fender Thinline Project a.k.a. The Sparkle Survivor

Post by Pacafeliz » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:21 am

Looks neAt and well done, actually
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

User avatar
garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:29 am
Location: NYC

Re: NGD: 1972 Fender Thinline Project a.k.a. The Sparkle Survivor

Post by garyfanclub » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:47 pm

Yep, not too shabby at all. I can tell by the photos that thing RIPS.

Would love to hear a clip of this thing, I love my '75 Tele Custom, definitely the most aggressive sounding guitar in my collection by far. I bet this thing roars with two WRHBs.

How's the neck, by how far the bullet is backed out it looks like it may have a ton of relief dialed in right now.

Anyhow, enjoy that thing!

User avatar
SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1355
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:06 am
Location: Utah, USA
Contact:

Re: NGD: 1972 Fender Thinline Project a.k.a. The Sparkle Survivor

Post by SignoftheDragon » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:34 am

Yeah, I can see the plugged holes for the Floyd fulcrum posts on there now, as well as the slight recess. Nothing too heinous, though- almost have to have your nose on it to see anything there.

I have a feeling you're going to LOVE this thing when you get it back. If not- I have a feeling you wouldn't have too much trouble moving it to a loving home here on OSG. (Maybe even MINE!)

User avatar
sessylU
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 262
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:33 am

Re: NGD: 1972 Fender Thinline Project a.k.a. The Sparkle Survivor

Post by sessylU » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:38 am

Restore it to its former glory. Get another Floyd Rose back on there, you coward.

Post Reply