Noventa Telecaster

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
SY6655321
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Noventa Telecaster

Post by SY6655321 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:35 pm

Is it the guts of a Les Paul Jr. shoved right up the output jack of a poor Tele body, or is it an Esquire with a P90? The choices are yours and yours alone...
I like it. Give me a red one with a white guard and cream pickup cover.

kgbAttack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kgbAttack » Sat May 08, 2021 11:07 am

I tried one today at the shop. It's really well made - the neck feels great and the frets were well dressed. I didn't like though that the maple board is visibly glued to the maple neck. The neck is pitched - not sure if through a shim or angled neck pocket. The sound is indeed brighter than a Gibson Junior, but not overly bright. Tone and volume control are quite reactive, though the P90 in the LP/SG junior does sound fatter, perhaps because of the mahogany body.

At the shop I've tried an SG Junior Custom shop, a regular SG junior, and an LP junior. Ironically, the one I liked the least is the LP Junior. It sounded nice, but quality wise it had many flaws. Considered the price difference with an LP junior, I'd say the Noventa wins. However, I've also tried an Eastman that mounts a Lollar P90 right out of the box and that has blown me away :derp:

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sat May 08, 2021 1:58 pm

kgbAttack wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:07 am
I tried one today at the shop. It's really well made - the neck feels great and the frets were well dressed. I didn't like though that the maple board is visibly glued to the maple neck. The neck is pitched - not sure if through a shim or angled neck pocket. The sound is indeed brighter than a Gibson Junior, but not overly bright. Tone and volume control are quite reactive, though the P90 in the LP/SG junior does sound fatter, perhaps because of the mahogany body.

At the shop I've tried an SG Junior Custom shop, a regular SG junior, and an LP junior. Ironically, the one I liked the least is the LP Junior. It sounded nice, but quality wise it had many flaws. Considered the price difference with an LP junior, I'd say the Noventa wins. However, I've also tried an Eastman that mounts a Lollar P90 right out of the box and that has blown me away :derp:
Out of all of those, the Eastman is far and away the best of the bunch. They make amazing guitars.

I wish Paul were still making the Oceana Jr. so other folks could get one. It's great.

Paul Rhoney Guitars Oceana Jr., March 20, 2020 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Paul really had something special going on.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

kgbAttack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kgbAttack » Sat May 08, 2021 11:05 pm

That is really beautiful, congrats!

At a price heavily competing with the Noventa (at least in the EU) there's also the Rivolta Combinata I, which has the same specs + 24 frets. I haven't had a chance to try it though.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun May 09, 2021 8:27 am

kgbAttack wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 11:05 pm
That is really beautiful, congrats!

At a price heavily competing with the Noventa (at least in the EU) there's also the Rivolta Combinata I, which has the same specs + 24 frets. I haven't had a chance to try it though.
I've got the two-pickup Combinata, and it's just a stellar instrument. You can tell Dennis Fano created it.

Rivolta Combinata XVII, January 24, 2020 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sun May 09, 2021 10:35 am

Maggieo wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 1:58 pm
I wish Paul were still making the Oceana Jr. so other folks could get one. It's great.

Paul Rhoney Guitars Oceana Jr., March 20, 2020 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Paul really had something special going on.
Definitely. He managed to capture a lot of the magic of a vintage Jr. but do something unique. I love mine.

The Noventa is 25.5”, bolt on, and different woods. Not the most imaginative thing, but I’d like to try one at some point. That’s more appealing to me than a standard Esquire configuration.