The Psychology of GASing for a Gibson (es-335)

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Psychology of GASing for a Gibson (es-335)

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:42 am

That's very beautiful... I guess that's the figured top one. I'm basically way too cheap to pay extra for that, and aren't really all that motivated by it, but it certainly is beautiful there.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:05 am

I was minding my own business, then I read through this thread and now see that I need a sunburst 345. :squint:

MrFingers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrFingers » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:24 am

This one showed up on the local classifieds... I'm not happy, NOT HAPPY AT ALL!!!

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:53 am

^ That doesn't help!

The lack of a Varitone circuit, not that I actually need a Varitone circuit, on new production models coupled with my long-standing lust for a L-7C are the only things keeping me from being victimized by Gibson's deft marketing.

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:49 am

I bought one anyway.

I wasn't really GASing for it too badly, but since I'm splitting time between FL and STL and didn't bring any guitars up, I 'need' a guitar here as I've started playing again after a long break. I've never owned a 335 or similar and never really wanted one but my wife absolutely loves the look of them and has been pestering me on and off about them for 20 years.

After scouring the web and local shops in both areas, Musicians Friend was the only place I found that had a few to choose from in stock. They're not my first pick of course, but they've got a great return policy and I planned to use it if I wasn't impressed.

But I am impressed. It's a great instrument, sounds great unplugged and plays great, and is really pretty much perfect. It's very nicely done and I don't feel compelled to do anything to it at all. That said, I don't have an amp here, so that might change.

Split parallelograms are my favorite neck inlays so the extra 10% for them was an easy decision.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:11 am

That's beautiful. What pickups did you get on there- the new modified T-Tops?

Where are you in STL again, down around Tower Grove if I remember right?

I can run the Fender Frontman 15 amp I have down to you if so if you'd like to borrow that... not much of an amp, of course, but it might get you by until you get yours up here. I bought it for the kids but they haven't shown any interest so far.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:04 am

Yeah, it has the new T-Tops. They sound fine in the demos I've listened to but who knows. I've got an extra set of old T-Tops that will work splendidly if these new models don't, but I bet they will.

Thanks for the amp offer, Larry, that's very kind. I'm in TGE on Hartford. I'll PM you and we'll sort something out.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:27 pm

luau wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:49 am

I've never owned a 335 or similar and never really wanted one but my wife absolutely loves the look of them and has been pestering me on and off about them for 20 years.

I want you to take a moment and just contemplate what a lucky person you are.

Congrats!

I was thinking about these again while tracking today. After my 12th take on a fiddly passage around the 14th fret, suddenly my guild jazz didn't seem all that great. Neck access is yet another attribute of these beauties.
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

MrFingers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrFingers » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:16 am

I've been eyeing those as well, but the omission of the varitone, and the chrome hardware is a big no-no. Turns out I'm conservative as fck and expect gold hardware and a varitone.

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:58 am

seenoevil II wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:27 pm

Congrats!

I was thinking about these again while tracking today. After my 12th take on a fiddly passage around the 14th fret, suddenly my guild jazz didn't seem all that great. Neck access is yet another attribute of these beauties.
Thanks. Yeah, I'm all kinds of lucky and a supportive partner is just one part of it.

The neck access is nice but don't get down on your Guild, I'm sure it's a great guitar!

I think Gibson might owe you a commission. :D

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:19 am

MrFingers wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:16 am
I've been eyeing those as well, but the omission of the varitone, and the chrome hardware is a big no-no. Turns out I'm conservative as fck and expect gold hardware and a varitone.
That was my initial thought, but the more I got to thinking about it, and the more I realized I had no real serious prior lust for a proper 345, this new model started making sense for me. Gold hardware isn't my first pick and I suppose if I ever felt I really wanted the varitone it could be added.

You though, you should buy that one you posted above. :whistle:

MrFingers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MrFingers » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:21 am

I was negotiating with the seller, but he wouldn't budge enough on the price for me to bite, so I've decided against it.

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:52 am

luau wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:58 am
seenoevil II wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:27 pm

Congrats!

Thanks. Yeah, I'm all kinds of lucky and a supportive partner is just one part of it.

The neck access is nice but don't get down on your Guild, I'm sure it's a great guitar!

I think Gibson might owe you a commission. :D
For real though! Man, that's kinda hilarious. Maybe I'm a plant here to gin up sales. :whistle:

I'm pretty pleased with my Guild. I didn't think I'd like the big box life as much as I am. It's a very nice guitar. As for neck access, it's a rare thing for me to have parts above the 12th fret. My work around is to shorten the strap and hike the guitar way up.
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:55 am

seenoevil II wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:52 am

For real though! Man, that's kinda hilarious. Maybe I'm a plant here to gin up sales. :whistle:

Right? Talk about marketing, you were all like, "I don't think they're that good," and I was like, "Hey, fuck you, I'll buy two of them!"

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:23 am

:D

It just goes to show the marketing types aren't to be trifled with.
seenoevil II wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:52 am
I'm pretty pleased with my Guild. I didn't think I'd like the big box life as much as I am. It's a very nice guitar. As for neck access, it's a rare thing for me to have parts above the 12th fret. My work around is to shorten the strap and hike the guitar way up.
Very good. I have a Gibson 175 I bought about 15 years ago and even with the cutaway I need to really lean over it to get up there on the lower strings. Luckily, I don't have much reason to do so. Whatever the the name on the headstock, I think they're a blast and everyone should have one.