Gibson acoustics, let's see 'em!

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Gibson acoustics, let's see 'em!

Post by Flurko » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:02 am

Never thought I would post something in this thread, but I'm really over the moon with my J-29 :

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:54 am

I have the opportunity to get a '66 Gibson LG-0 for less than £1k - is this a good deal, and what am I likely to expect when I go play it? Skinny necks and wide nuts are a deal-breaker so hoping for the opposite
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:08 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:54 am
I have the opportunity to get a '66 Gibson LG-0 for less than £1k - is this a good deal, and what am I likely to expect when I go play it? Skinny necks and wide nuts are a deal-breaker so hoping for the opposite
It's not a stunning deal, and it's not a great guitar, either. No reason not to buy it, but it was a ladder braced student guitar back in the day and it'll sound like that. It can be a good sound, but it's not a very versatile instrument or anything.

It will probably have a narrow nut on there.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:14 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:08 am
johnnysomersett wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:54 am
It's not a stunning deal, and it's not a great guitar, either. No reason not to buy it, but it was a ladder braced student guitar back in the day and it'll sound like that. It can be a good sound, but it's not a very versatile instrument or anything.

It will probably have a narrow nut on there.
Ahh, I see. I don't know a lot about Gibsons (or any acoustics really). I don't play anything fancy - mostly just cowboy chords and some hamfisted singer-songwriter finger picking - but I do want a nice acoustic, so maybe I should pass for now.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:54 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:14 am

Ahh, I see. I don't know a lot about Gibsons (or any acoustics really). I don't play anything fancy - mostly just cowboy chords and some hamfisted singer-songwriter finger picking - but I do want a nice acoustic, so maybe I should pass for now.
By all means go check it out, maybe it'll be just the thing. However, I can think of better things to spend that kind of money on, modern Gibsons will be made to a higher quality than that one was.

Even at the time, it was well known to Gibson that X bracing was where it was at, and their flagship guitars duly got that. Them using the ladder bracing was them making this guitar be uncompetitive with the more expensive instruments.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:04 pm

Larry Mal wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:54 am
johnnysomersett wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:14 am

By all means go check it out, maybe it'll be just the thing. However, I can think of better things to spend that kind of money on, modern Gibsons will be made to a higher quality than that one was.

Even at the time, it was well known to Gibson that X bracing was where it was at, and their flagship guitars duly got that. Them using the ladder bracing was them making this guitar be uncompetitive with the more expensive instruments.
Yeah, I dont want to cheap out on something of a lesser quality just because it's popped up locally. There's a couple of vintage acoustic places within an hour's drive with some nice 30s Kalamazoo's and early 60s Martins so I might take a trip next week and test drive a few in one hit.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:18 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:04 pm

Yeah, I dont want to cheap out on something of a lesser quality just because it's popped up locally. There's a couple of vintage acoustic places within an hour's drive with some nice 30s Kalamazoo's and early 60s Martins so I might take a trip next week and test drive a few in one hit.
Well, I don't want to dissuade you too much, I was playing a 60's student Gibson recently. It had that old, boxy guitar sound, you know? And you might want that, you might love it.

But that's all it will ever do, though.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:07 pm

Not posted on osg for a while, but I bought a Gibson 😃

A lifelong love affair with the J45. So of course I went and got a G45… £700 for that spec was just too tempting. 50% less than a 2nd hand J45, and 50% less guilt if I don’t play it as much as I should.

It arrives on Monday, so here’s a photo for illustrative purposes.

I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Jonesie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jonesie » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:51 am

sal paradise wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:07 pm

A lifelong love affair with the J45. So of course I went and got a G45… £700 for that spec was just too tempting. 50% less than a 2nd hand J45, and 50% less guilt if I don’t play it as much as I should.

I have the same model (but right handed), and I love it. I did do a couple of modifications though. I had my tech pull out the electronics, install a bone saddle, bone bridge pins and I replaced the tuners with plastic button 3-on-a-plate tuners. The bone saddle and bridge pins really changed the sound. It's a little bright with new strings but sits perfectly in a mix when the strings are worn in a bit. Enjoy it!

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:49 pm

Jonesie wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:51 am
sal paradise wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:07 pm

I have the same model (but right handed), and I love it. I did do a couple of modifications though. I had my tech pull out the electronics, install a bone saddle, bone bridge pins and I replaced the tuners with plastic button 3-on-a-plate tuners. The bone saddle and bridge pins really changed the sound. It's a little bright with new strings but sits perfectly in a mix when the strings are worn in a bit. Enjoy it!
Thanks, will think about those mods if I’m not liking it as standard. Based on previous chats with J45 owners, planning on putting an LR Baggs M1a in it or similar as well.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:09 am

So after a couple of months, I’m really enjoying the G45. It’s nearly as full sounding as my previous dreadnaught, yet with a more satisfying mid range, all despite the shallower body. That & the scale length are super comfortable for me.

Need to take it to a tech to get the action a bit lower, my only complaint so far. Really impressed with how much guitar I’ve got for the money. Granted, it’s not dark sunburst how I’d always dreamt my J45 would be. Still, regret not going Gibson sooner with an acoustic.

Except the pickup. I’ve yet to go near an open mic night, let alone using it with a band, so I guess that can wait.

Excuse the bedding, at my parents house for a bit

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:37 am

So what are the main differences between the G and the J 45? Is it just cosmetic? Are the woods and bracing the same in the two guitars?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:46 am

mediocreplayer wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:37 am
So what are the main differences between the G and the J 45? Is it just cosmetic? Are the woods and bracing the same in the two guitars?
The fundamental difference in the design is that the J-45 has a thicker body to it, which will give it a little more low end and volume.

And of course the G-45 has much simpler finish and so on.

I have a J-45 and it is every bit the guitar that legend makes it out to be. I have limited experience with the G-45s, but I would not consider them to be particularly equivalent. I've seen a few videos that make it pretty clear that the G-45 can have some pretty sloppy construction, which is what people say about all Gibsons, but I'll try and link a video.

Regardless, if you get a good G-45, it could be a great sounding guitar. Less low end isn't really a bad thing for recording or live use.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:50 am

Here you go... this guy actually cuts the guitars in half, so it's a pretty thorough review. He's not the most unbiased source as he does make and sell his own guitars, still, it's a good review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP3_TY69bAM

Now, bear in mind that I have owned nine Gibson acoustics, and they are good guitars. Don't be too swayed by this video or anything, still, you can't argue that the construction of at least this particular one he had was pretty sloppy.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:21 am

The important thing for me was that it cost 50% less than a J45, so wasn’t expecting the world.

It works for me although I’m not a prolific/talented acoustic player. More a home picker & strummer.