The fake Rickenebacker thread

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Jameslee44
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: The fake Rickenebacker thread

Post by Jameslee44 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:47 pm

tribi9 wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:34 pm
If 90s, could be a Session Rocker, I'm pretty sure they made bolt ons. A few different ones came from Korea at the time. So hard to tell. Just the one pic too.

Remove the truss rod cover, see if you spot a different color. Also could you take a pic of the headstock whenever you get a chance, if you don't mind?

The tailpiece is most likely a replacement from that one place that sells Rickenbacker parts.. Wakefield or something, can't remember the name atm...
A few more photos...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Eh23BFyk3RH3LPGT8

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:53 pm

hansbrinker wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:14 pm
Last time I checked, Harry White charged over €1000 for one of his guitars (I recall these were Chinese bodies that he finishes off, correct me if I am wrong) I recall thinking at the time “I could get a real used Rickenbacker 330 for €1000” so I passed on contacting him
Harry White builds all of his guitars by scratch (using the best materials) and his prices are fairly close to a real Rick. The difference is you can fully customize all of the features, choose models that have been out of production for decades, and are all handbuilt to the highest standard.

My dream is to special order a 360F from him one day.

More HWs to drool over... :?

Cool. The last thing I want to do is give the impression that I am shitting on Harry White. I have never heard anyone speak ill of him or his guitars.

Even if he was using Chinese CNC’d bodies and necks you can bet they’d be much better than an AliExpress Chinese Rickenbacker.

Again, I don’t know if he even does that, he could be making the bodies and necks from scratch, my info literally came from some guy on the internet in 2013 from a Rickenbacker Facebook forum.

If someone is considering a Harry Whiter Ricky, by all means go for it I’d say. Also ask around the Rickenbacker fan forums for feedback too.

It seems Harry is offering finishes and guitars not offered by Rickenbacker anymore (btw anyone remember the Rickenbacker acoustics? They were so nice!).

Also, I don’t want to give the impression that wholesale Chinese CNC’d bodies and necks sold to luthiers are bad, so many guitars are made in China that aren’t shit.

I used to have a “Sparxx” telecaster (two of them in fact!) that were Chinese bodies finished in nitro, assembled, and set up by Sparxx and both were great guitars and a great deal.
"some misguided Marin county hot-tubber"

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:54 am

Well...

This one arrived last week, and the first tune-up/run-through had me despairing. Tuners suck, sharp fret ends, sounded like arse due to the tuning stability.

So I let it sit on the rack to acclimate further at tuned tension, and tried it out again a couple days later. What a difference! The tuners still suck, but at least I could get it to keep tune, and wrangle some good and usable tones out of it.

Harley Benton RB-612 Classic in black:

Fun for the price, (half the cost of a Danelectro 12) but definitely a step down in quality.