NGD: 1967 Telecaster

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: 1967 Telecaster

Post by sal paradise » Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:13 am

We has updates, and finally a little bit of good news in that whatever the hell it is looks to be pretty small. Stunning looking piece of wood, too :-*

“Hard to know what was attached in terms of bridge and tailpiece. The filled mounting holes don't look like anything Bigsby make, but I'd guess something similar perhaps.
Drilled a hole into the filler and it seems to be about 5mm deep, so it's not interfering with the through body holes. Won't know until we rout it away whether it's covering/filling any bridge post holes.”

I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:53 am

Good to see there's no more nasty surprises with the body!

Really nice looking grain, I take it it is ash? :-*

I guess originally it must have looked a lot like this:

Resident Spartan.

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:40 am

sal paradise wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:13 am
Stunning looking piece of wood
blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:44 am

zhivago wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 7:53 am
Good to see there's no more nasty surprises with the body!

Really nice looking grain, I take it it is ash? :-*

I guess originally it must have looked a lot like this:

Must be Ash with grain like that?

I don’t want a white guitar now that I’ve got a white bass. But anything else feels a bit extra/selfish.
MattK wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:40 am

blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde blonde
I could be tempted. But that’s a 50s Tele thing to me.

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:51 am

Well that’s a relief. Does make you wonder what was there before.
I reckon you should do a custom colour still… OTM or IBM would look rad

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:29 pm

garyptaszek wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 11:51 am
Well that’s a relief. Does make you wonder what was there before.
I reckon you should do a custom colour still… OTM or IBM would look rad
Yes! IBM with a maple neck is an awesome combo.
Doug
@dpcannafax

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:20 am

Congrats on the guitar, and sorry about the issues

It’s easy to do. I bought a ‘58 strat that had a few undisclosed/hidden issues as well, also from an old guy who “forgot” much of the guitar’s checkered past.

Honestly these days I’m more inclined to just pay more from a reputable dealer (with whom I’d have recourse) than looking for “deals,” for precisely this reason. I’ve been buying old guitars since I was a teenager in the 1990s and like to think I know a few things… but I’m still not a professional dealer, i can still get excited, and can overlook something hidden in plain sight
“sal paradise” wrote:
MattK wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:44 am
It’s a different blonde, but 60s teles are overwhelmingly, near-exclusively the lighter, more-opaque variant of blonde

I agree with some earlier opinions that custom colors (especially with maple boards) scream “refin” (or, more accurately, “reissue”) from across the room to me

It was just so, so rare to see anything besides blonde on a maple- necked tele from the 1960s

But it’s your guitar and you might rather have a color you like as opposed to something believable/vintage-correct

So follow your heart and enjoy your guitar!

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:43 pm

øøøøøøø wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:20 am
Congrats on the guitar, and sorry about the issues

It’s easy to do. I bought a ‘58 strat that had a few undisclosed/hidden issues as well, also from an old guy who “forgot” much of the guitar’s checkered past.

Honestly these days I’m more inclined to just pay more from a reputable dealer (with whom I’d have recourse) than looking for “deals,” for precisely this reason. I’ve been buying old guitars since I was a teenager in the 1990s and like to think I know a few things… but I’m still not a professional dealer, i can still get excited, and can overlook something hidden in plain sight
“sal paradise” wrote:
MattK wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:44 am
It’s a different blonde, but 60s teles are overwhelmingly, near-exclusively the lighter, more-opaque variant of blonde

I agree with some earlier opinions that custom colors (especially with maple boards) scream “refin” (or, more accurately, “reissue”) from across the room to me

It was just so, so rare to see anything besides blonde on a maple- necked tele from the 1960s

But it’s your guitar and you might rather have a color you like as opposed to something believable/vintage-correct

So follow your heart and enjoy your guitar!
Appreciate you sharing that story. As much as I’m trying to be open about my mistakes, I still feel stupid for my error in judgement. Knowing that others with more knowledge are still susceptible makes me less of of an idiot.

(That doesn’t absolve me of learning lessons like doing basic research on what I need to look for, and remembering to stop & consider something that screams out as not quite right (ie, glaring problem with the finish).

As for the colour, as much as I want to be bold I think you’re totally right. Anything other than white or blonde will scream refin. I wouldn’t enjoy having something that gear nerds would spot & ask me about, and live in fear of their judgment if I picked something uber rare. Easier life if I go standard colour :D - the finisher hasn’t actually asked me what colour yet. So there’s still time to 180 a few more times :whistle:

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:51 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:43 pm
there’s still time to 180 a few more times

:?

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:00 am

sal paradise wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:43 pm

Appreciate you sharing that story. As much as I’m trying to be open about my mistakes, I still feel stupid for my error in judgement. Knowing that others with more knowledge are still susceptible makes me less of of an idiot.
Man, in my case I was kicking myself going "why didn't I see that? I know better." I even asked an old vintage dealer friend for things to look out for in advance, and I still missed things.

Since my price range mandated that "scoring a deal" was the only way I'd be able to get into an old maple-necked strat (even with issues), I was really excited when the opportunity came up. I think that excitement was my downfall, as it set up certain cognitive biases.

"This is an old guy finally selling his old guitar" set me up to believe I was gonna get a great deal on an honest player guitar.

"Maybe the original sunburst is under there and I can sand the refin off!" set me up to pay more attention to the look of the refin than to some other things that were hidden in plain sight. I went into it full of optimism and confirmation bias set me up to see what I wanted to see, rather than what I didn't want to see.

In addition, I knew there were going to be issues, and the obvious issues (refin, some headstock oversanding) attracted my attention and scrutiny right away. That caused me to miss subtler things, like evidence of oversanding on the body (slight rounding of some contours near the neck heel) and an (admittedly-pretty-convincing) bootleg headstock decal added in the 70s.

I was slightly gutted when I took it to my dealer friend and had these issues pointed out.

Then, when I took it to get a proper re-re-fin, I was hoping to go for a sunburst for similar reasons you're now leaning toward blond (anything else in the 1950s was just so rare on a strat it kind of screams refin/RI)

Except when it was stripped there had been a bizarre walnut inlay added behind the bridge :fp:

So it had to go black. It now has a better repro decal (from oldfret)

Fortunately, all the pickups etc are original and it sounds quite good. The black isn't very original-looking but it does look pretty cool and makes some sense/is almost believable enough to not be distracting.

But the big lesson I took away: it's not necessarily that the high-end dealers know more, it's that they're dispassionate about their purchases. They're less likely than I am to get excited and miss things, and the reputatble ones (or the ones with a reputation to protect) have incentive to disclose.

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:07 am

I still say do something bold, if it’s gonna be a refin, it might as well do something cool rather than the obvious. I’m thinking like the J Mascis sparkle tele. Refinish or not that’s cooler than a standard blonde or burst 50s tele any day of the week.

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:20 am

garyptaszek wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:07 am
I still say do something bold, if it’s gonna be a refin, it might as well do something cool rather than the obvious. I’m thinking like the J Mascis sparkle tele. Refinish or not that’s cooler than a standard blonde or burst 50s tele any day of the week.
+1

If it's special to you (and it is), what does I matter if guitar nerds can more easily guess that it's a refin? If it was mine, I'd go for a period correct gorgeous metallic - probably IBM, but maybe Firemist Silver (and actually, as colours go, you could call them pretty conservative!).
All the cheeses....

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Thu Jul 11, 2024 1:28 am

i never miss an opportunity to put metal flake on a guitar (as anyone who knows me knows)

so i think that would be rad

what would make less sense to me is going for like a Fender custom color that’s “period correct” with the rationale that it’s believable

but only one person’s opinion counts here—anything that makes OP happy is the right decision

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:24 am

I don’t care what colour it gets, but please put a monkey grip handle and a Floyd Rose in it, then do this:

Make Leo proud.

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:47 am

JVG wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2024 3:24 am
I don’t care what colour it gets, but please put a monkey grip handle and a Floyd Rose in it, then do this:

Make Leo proud.
Forget what I said, do this