NGD: Gretsch Duo Jet new pix pg. 5!

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: Gretsch Duo Jet

Post by Embenny » Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:25 pm

I don't get the idea that poly finishes are in any way inferior. They're just more durable, which is sometimes exactly what you want.

Personally, I don't want a Gretsch that looks like it was gigged by Sonic Youth. Most Gretsches have a certain "dressed up" quality, like they're wearing evening formal wear or their Sunday best. I like that they stay shiny and pristine.

A lot of people who haven't played the Pro line Gretsches don't realize things like how the neck and body binding is usually made of pearlescent or sparkle drum wrap. There's a whole vibe going on there, and deep, shiny finishes that stay that way are absolutely the right fit.

The original 50's and 60's Gretsches do not tend to age gracefully. The binding separated and rotted away and the overall vibe was more one of decay than of "rough and tumble rock'n'roll road wear" like you get on Fenders.

The modern Gretsches channel a distinctly different vibe, and I am here for it.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:16 pm

Embenny wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:25 pm
I don't get the idea that poly finishes are in any way inferior. They're just more durable, which is sometimes exactly what you want.

Personally, I don't want a Gretsch that looks like it was gigged by Sonic Youth. Most Gretsches have a certain "dressed up" quality, like they're wearing evening formal wear or their Sunday best. I like that they stay shiny and pristine.

A lot of people who haven't played the Pro line Gretsches don't realize things like how the neck and body binding is usually made of pearlescent or sparkle drum wrap. There's a whole vibe going on there, and deep, shiny finishes that stay that way are absolutely the right fit.

The original 50's and 60's Gretsches do not tend to age gracefully. The binding separated and rotted away and the overall vibe was more one of decay than of "rough and tumble rock'n'roll road wear" like you get on Fenders.

Totally agree. However, if someone really wants relicing, the Gretsch Custom Shop can accomodate. :ph34r:

The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

luau
Admin
Admin

Post by luau » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:19 pm

Yngwie Springsteen wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:29 pm
Hello OSG....I'm back!!!! :D
Nope.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:30 pm

Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:32 pm
And I do miss the ex lion tamer.... :P
Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:29 pm
Hello OSG....I'm back!!!! :D
N O P E
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:52 pm

Triple NOPE.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:02 pm

Dude got the ban🔨?

Who was he? An old friend?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:08 am

andy_tchp wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:52 pm
Triple NOPE.
All the NOPE
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:58 am

Lol. He gave himself up easy this time!
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Jun 02, 2023 4:58 am

tribi9 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:02 pm
Dude got the ban🔨?

Who was he? An old friend?
Ex Lion Tamer/Kilgore Trout and about 7 other ‘hilarious’ pseudonyms.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:07 am

Embenny wrote:

Nah, not saying poly is inferior, just that I love to have a guitar wear in. I realize the early black duo jets had a nitron top, and the sparkle jets are topped with shiny drum wrap so it's not like either of those were nitro, but at the very least there is some sort of potential that those things would resonate differently because it was drum material?

And yeah idk man, this thing was pretty frickin perfect, this is the guitar that got me going down this rabbit hole. If I could get my hands on something like this, I'd be stoked. I know the binding rot is a big thing with old Gretsch guitars, but more of an issue through the mid/late 60s than it is on earlier models. Take a look at this thing:

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:50 am

rbrcbr wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:07 am
Nah, not saying poly is inferior, just that I love to have a guitar wear in. I realize the early black duo jets had a nitron top, and the sparkle jets are topped with shiny drum wrap so it's not like either of those were nitro, but at the very least there is some sort of potential that those things would resonate differently because it was drum material?

And yeah idk man, this thing was pretty frickin perfect, this is the guitar that got me going down this rabbit hole. If I could get my hands on something like this, I'd be stoked. I know the binding rot is a big thing with old Gretsch guitars, but more of an issue through the mid/late 60s than it is on earlier models. Take a look at this thing:
I can understand what you like about it. Did you know that the Gretsch Custom Shop offers nitro? So you do have that option, it's just a price tier higher than the Pro line.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

cestlamort
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cestlamort » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:11 am

Embenny wrote:
Exactly. Great way of summing it up (kind of goes for Rickenbackers, too, albeit with much less flash).

The transparent finishes can look good with some aging, but for the solid colors (and sparkle tops), more intact looks better. An analogy, a Gretsch is a nice classic suit (or tux) and a Fender is denim. Most relics miss the mark (and belt sander Fender relics are the equivalent to buying new jeans with holes).

Mrs. Cestlamort has had a MIK G5126 (sparkle hollow body) for a few years and got a MIJ Sparkle Jet last year (notice a trend?) (I think it's a 2019 or 2020 - recent in any case). The difference in quality, workmanship, feel and sound is astounding, and the MIJ one is on par with (or nicer than) pretty much any guitar I've ever played. I imagine the Duo Jet is similar. Congrats Maggie on an amazing guitar.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Jun 02, 2023 11:19 am

cestlamort wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:11 am
Mrs. Cestlamort has had a MIK G5126 (sparkle hollow body) for a few years and got a MIJ Sparkle Jet last year (notice a trend?) (I think it's a 2019 or 2020 - recent in any case). The difference in quality, workmanship, feel and sound is astounding, and the MIJ one is on par with (or nicer than) pretty much any guitar I've ever played. I imagine the Duo Jet is similar. Congrats Maggie on an amazing guitar.
Thank you! It gets more amazing the more I play it.

As for wear, I say get a vintage one and get the real vibes. My JM Jag and EC JM are immaculate, as is my 1982/3 Strat. I used violin polish on it from day one and it has nary a hint of checking on it. I get that that makes it less valuable than one that's beat to hell, but for over twenty years it was my only guitar and I never imagined owning more than it, so I took great care with it.

I reckon this Duo-Jet will get the same treatment.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:11 am

“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Re: NGD: Gretsch Duo Jet new pix pg. 5!

Post by OffYourFace » Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:14 pm

damn that's a beautiful geetar