Fender American Vintage II 1975 Telecaster Deluxe Pg. 2

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New CUNIFE Guitar Day Pg. 2

Post by HNB » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:59 am

Oh by the way, these come with a bridge cover also... :D
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:59 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:48 pm
HNB wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:18 pm
Cool. I haven't ever messed with pole pieces before.
Oh man, that's a whole world to open up right there.

So imagine that you have a humbucker 5mm from the strings, and drop it to 10mm. The output from both coils has dropped by 60%. Now, you raise one
It's probably the most underutilized tone adjustment on a guitar. Way bigger impact than swapping out pots etc, and way quicker too. No disassembly...just a few seconds with a screwdriver.
I um... canNOT believe that this never occurred to me on my vintage WRHB-equipped custom Tele Custom. Was never quite happy with how that neck pickup sounded and I just did exactly what you recommended (lower it some and then raise the pole pieces) and holy CRAP does it sound so much better! All because of a couple of mm, hot damn! Thank you.
Local milk person

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:11 pm

Dok wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:59 pm
I um... canNOT believe that this never occurred to me on my vintage WRHB-equipped custom Tele Custom. Was never quite happy with how that neck pickup sounded and I just did exactly what you recommended (lower it some and then raise the pole pieces) and holy CRAP does it sound so much better! All because of a couple of mm, hot damn! Thank you.
Awesome!

I didn't really understand how big a difference adjusting polepieces could make until recently, because I spent the first 20 years of my guitar-playing life thinking I hated all humbuckers.

But my recent Gibson bender got me to reapproach them with an open mind, and this video from Johan Segeborn demonstrated the effect clearly enough that I started giving it a fair shake.

Before that, I had just pulled the screws entirely out of a few humbuckers to make them single coil/dummy coil arrangements. But if the pickup is low or medium output, it sounds much better to just set the screws up high and jack down the pickup.

I can't imagine how many people have swapped out their humbuckers for a brighter model without having given the polepieces a fair shake.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:56 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:11 pm

I can't imagine how many people have swapped out their humbuckers for a brighter model without having given the polepieces a fair shake.
And it makes me wonder if all of the Fender humbuckers I've had were actually any good or just ass like they all seem to be.
Local milk person

garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyfanclub » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:39 am

Dok wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:59 pm
mbene085 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:48 pm
HNB wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:18 pm
Cool. I haven't ever messed with pole pieces before.
Oh man, that's a whole world to open up right there.

So imagine that you have a humbucker 5mm from the strings, and drop it to 10mm. The output from both coils has dropped by 60%. Now, you raise one
It's probably the most underutilized tone adjustment on a guitar. Way bigger impact than swapping out pots etc, and way quicker too. No disassembly...just a few seconds with a screwdriver.
Can confirm, I’ve done this on my Tele Custom (‘75) and it makes a massive difference. Pickup down low, bass pole piece nearly flush with the cover, treble pole pieces boosted slightly. Guitar becomes way more articulate, and the muddiness many people
experience with the neck WRHB is gone.

Also helps balance better with the bridge, as the low end isn’t just complete overwhelming the standard Tele pickup.

Powdered Toast Man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Delayed New CUNIFE Guitar Day

Post by Powdered Toast Man » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:45 am

HNB wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:18 pm
. They are similar to the brandonwound and novak ones if you are unsure what to spend money on. I don't notice a huge difference in sounds between the new ones. TBH I kind of like the brandonwound ones the best, but it could be that the sassafras Bilt is just something special. Here are pictures while I wait on the audio demo to upload. :)
I've had a Fender MIM WRHB, Brandonwound, Seymour Duncan CS, and the Fender Cunife reissue in my Tele Custom and the Cunife RI sounds NOTHING like the Brandonwound. In fact, I'd say out of the four the Brandonwound sounded the worst. The two bass strings sounding especially mushy and the other four strings incredibly bright. Also HOT. So hot that I had to have it down to level with the pickguard and it still overpowered the bridge pickup (which itself was wound to 10K).

The Fender RI Cunife is the best of the bunch by a country mile. Beautiful sounding pickups. However with all things WRHB, you have to have the heights calibrated properly.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender American Vintage II 1975 Telecaster Deluxe Pg. 2

Post by HNB » Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:59 am

I think pickups can vary as well as the guitars they are in leading to subtle differences. I have tried:

Vintage WRHB

Brandonwound WRHB

Novak WRHB

Fender Modern WRHB (Humbucker under WRHB Covers)

Fender CuNiFe Reissue WRHB

Revel WRHB

If you are comparing those to the original vintage ones, all were much hotter than the vintage example I have. The one closest in tone to the originals (to my ears) was the Brandonwound. Novak's was also very good. The reissues are totally nice, but even with the same components, they don't sound exactly the same. I have to imagine little differences in winding, body wood, etc make the difference. Also adjusting the pole pieces can make a difference. Hight on all of mine are set up the same, so that factor was controlled, but the other things are harder to control without using one body and swapping pickups in and out to compare and I don't have an interest in diving that deep. LOL

To be fair, I like ALL of those examples I have tried. They have a slightly different flavor which I use to justify keeping them all. LOL

It isn't an addiction, I swear.... LOL
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fender American Vintage II 1975 Telecaster Deluxe Pg. 2

Post by HNB » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:00 pm

FYI My Bilt Sassafras ESG has shown to be a very special guitar. It is strongly becoming my desert island guitar. There is just something about it that is extra special.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars