NGD x 2-ish...

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD x 2-ish...

Post by Surfysonic » Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:09 pm

After the dust settled on my latest guitar purge (another attempt at downsizing, with um, moderate success :whistle: ), I had a spare Fender-licensed All Parts All Rosewood Chunky U neck without a body. It had been on my daphne blue Fender Vintera '50s Stratocaster for quite some time, but I really prefer a maple neck on the daphne blue Strat. So I swapped out the All Rosewood neck with my Fender-licensed Maple Chunky U neck. I had the maple neck on my now gone Squier CV '50s Strat.

I found on Stratosphere a Fender Player Plus Series Stratocaster HSS Strat in Belair Blue, a Fender finish that I've been admiring from afar for quite some time.

I've always loved the Belair Blue of the Fender Player Plus series Stratocaster HSS and Meteora. Since I had the 7-way mod thing covered with my other two Strats, I think the HSS will be a nice addition to the tool box. Worse case, I still have a loaded 7-way modded SSS pickguard if I didn't get on with the HSS.

It arrived on Saturday and I put the all rosewood neck on it, then some D'Addario 11-49 strings, and I was off to the races. I was hopeful that I'd like the noiseless SS pickups and the Fireball humbucker. Happily, I'm really loving it. The noiseless SS pickups and humbucker sound fantastic, even in split-coil mode, although I'm super happy and prefer the normal humbucker mode. And oh, that lovely Belair Blue is even finer in person. :?

My resistance finally gave way to another Pro Audio Star Black Friday sale - this time, a Squier Paranormal Cabronita Telecaster Thinline in Lake Placid Blue, which has always been on my GAS list but I held off due to having more Teles in various forms than I know what to do with. The price was too amazing to resist and who knows if Squier will have another Paranormal series.

I knew going in the neck would be very thin and the stock pickups not so great (harsh). I can play the neck fine standing up but even then, my hand does start to fatigue, so I'm looking for a Vintera 50's roasted U-shaped neck or '50s Modified roasted Soft V-shaped neck. I can play bigger necks for hours with no fatigue.

I couldn't get on with the stock pickups at all, try as I might. Since they've been in my parts drawer for some time, I installed my Fralin Hum-Cancelling Jazzmaster pickups. I had them previously on a Squier CV '60s Jazzmaster but they didn't sound right to me for some reason. I was hoping that maybe they would sound alright in the Cabronita.

I think I know now what happened. I bought the Fralin pickups used on Reverb. Listed as a set, they were both Fralin-labled as "Neck" with one of them designated as "-10". I think I had either put them in the wrong way or the neck in the bridge position and the bridge in the neck position.

Mystery solved, though. I put the "Neck -10" in the neck position on the Cabronita and the other neck pickup in the bridge. I guess I put them in the correct way, because now they actually sounded like awesome, noiseless Jazzmaster pickups. Absolutely sound amazing.

Huzzah for me, but still :fp: for getting it wrong when they were in my Jazzmaster.

Here are the new guitars with the daphne blue Vintera '50s Stratocaster Modified...um, Strat. These naming conventions from Fender... :derp:

Unless they offer the Belair Blue finish in future offerings, I'll still be on the lookout for a used Meteora. There was a used Cosmic Jade one at one of my local guitar shops, but I'm holding out for the Belair Blue. :?

I've also been tempted to get a Squier Classic Vibe Bass VI $399 at Pro Audio Star, $374.99 at Fender but my resistance is still holding...FOR NOW. :squint:
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD x 2-ish...

Post by Veitchy » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:37 pm

What a trio. IO was very surprised to see Fender/Squire come out with a Tele with JM pickups - dog knows I've toyed with the idea of putting a JM pup in the neck position before. Really keen to see how you get along with that one longer-term.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:17 pm

Veitchy wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:37 pm
What a trio. IO was very surprised to see Fender/Squire come out with a Tele with JM pickups - dog knows I've toyed with the idea of putting a JM pup in the neck position before. Really keen to see how you get along with that one longer-term.
Thanks, Veitchy! It's a keeper so far. With the guitar's light weight, upgraded pickups, and at some point an upgraded neck, it'll be around for the long haul. :)

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:19 pm

Wow, congrats. Those are real lookers.

That strat with the rosewood neck looks particularly sharp.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:55 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:19 pm
Wow, congrats. Those are real lookers.

That strat with the rosewood neck looks particularly sharp.
Thanks, Mike! Yeah, I was hoping it would work out with the all rosewood neck with the belair blue. :)