Anyone a fan of Burns/Baldwin guitars?

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
User avatar
Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 17516
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:34 pm
Location: Cococologne, Germany

Re: Anyone a fan of Burns/Baldwin guitars?

Post by Pacafeliz » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:50 am

oh SHIT that 6-string bass is HOT!!!

but can't you just use bass VI strings on it?
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3371
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:21 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Anyone a fan of Burns/Baldwin guitars?

Post by glimmertwin » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:10 am

Pacafeliz wrote:oh SHIT that 6-string bass is HOT!!!

but can't you just use bass VI strings on it?
...maybe its because of the really short scale length that you need really thick strings for it? I don't know - I'm curious too. Probably sounds unique.

User avatar
knathan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2923
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Anyone a fan of Burns/Baldwin guitars?

Post by knathan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:59 am

i REALLY liked them, until a few years ago I played a marquee RI- didn't like it. LOVE the scroll headstock. I really wanted a sonic or a nu-sonic, but had a hard time tracking them down- this was like 2004 or so. very cool guitars.

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3371
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:21 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Anyone a fan of Burns/Baldwin guitars?

Post by glimmertwin » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:12 pm

knathan wrote:i REALLY liked them, until a few years ago I played a marquee RI- didn't like it. LOVE the scroll headstock. I really wanted a sonic or a nu-sonic, but had a hard time tracking them down- this was like 2004 or so. very cool guitars.
Are the Marquees one of the ones made in Asia?

I'm curious how the UK made RIs play too.

User avatar
Parka
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:48 pm

Re: Anyone a fan of Burns/Baldwin guitars?

Post by Parka » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:14 am

glimmertwin wrote:
Pacafeliz wrote:oh SHIT that 6-string bass is HOT!!!

but can't you just use bass VI strings on it?
...maybe its because of the really short scale length that you need really thick strings for it? I don't know - I'm curious too. Probably sounds unique.
Yep - Bass VI strings are too long so the E and A strings wont fit through the tuners.

Its a fun guitar but I can see why the concept didn't take off. I'm currently using .090 .080 .070 .065 .040 .025 which I'm told is close to the original set it would have come with. In Standard E-E tuning, I find the Low E string is just a touch too flabby. I'm going to try a thicker gauge when I order a new set of strings.

User avatar
knathan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2923
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Anyone a fan of Burns/Baldwin guitars?

Post by knathan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:24 am

glimmertwin wrote:
knathan wrote:i REALLY liked them, until a few years ago I played a marquee RI- didn't like it. LOVE the scroll headstock. I really wanted a sonic or a nu-sonic, but had a hard time tracking them down- this was like 2004 or so. very cool guitars.
Are the Marquees one of the ones made in Asia?

I'm curious how the UK made RIs play too.
Yeah, the Marquee I played was made in Asia- I believe Korea. Unfortunately, it just felt really cheap- and I just didn't dig it. There was a US importer too- but the cost to get a sonic was way out of my range at that time.

glimmertwin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3371
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:21 am
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Anyone a fan of Burns/Baldwin guitars?

Post by glimmertwin » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:22 am

Parka wrote:
glimmertwin wrote:
Pacafeliz wrote:oh SHIT that 6-string bass is HOT!!!

but can't you just use bass VI strings on it?
...maybe its because of the really short scale length that you need really thick strings for it? I don't know - I'm curious too. Probably sounds unique.
Yep - Bass VI strings are too long so the E and A strings wont fit through the tuners.

Its a fun guitar but I can see why the concept didn't take off. I'm currently using .090 .080 .070 .065 .040 .025 which I'm told is close to the original set it would have come with. In Standard E-E tuning, I find the Low E string is just a touch too flabby. I'm going to try a thicker gauge when I order a new set of strings.
For what it's worth, I had a flabby E problem with roundwouds on by Bass VI and when I swtiched to flatwounds of the same gauge, it solved it. Something to consider if it's available to you....

User avatar
surfin_bird
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1254
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:06 am
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Anyone a fan of Burns/Baldwin guitars?

Post by surfin_bird » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:57 pm

I would love to have a 12 string, because the trem doesn't seem ok so I pass the 6 stringers

User avatar
Mangano
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:16 am

Re: Anyone a fan of Burns/Baldwin guitars?

Post by Mangano » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:50 am

Yes

User avatar
BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6103
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:50 am
Location: Newfoundland

Re: Anyone a fan of Burns/Baldwin guitars?

Post by BoringPostcards » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:59 am

Mangano wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:50 am
Yes
You necroposted an 11 year old thread to say yes??
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

User avatar
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: Anyone a fan of Burns/Baldwin guitars?

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:27 am

BoringPostcards wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:59 am
Mangano wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:50 am
Yes
You necroposted an 11 year old thread to say yes??
Yes

User avatar
mbene085
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 8387
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 5:07 am

Re: Anyone a fan of Burns/Baldwin guitars?

Post by mbene085 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:50 pm

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:27 am
BoringPostcards wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:59 am
Mangano wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:50 am
Yes
You necroposted an 11 year old thread to say yes??
Yes
That reply would have slapped if you waited until 2033 to post it.

User avatar
johnnysomersett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5909
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:33 pm
Location: Old Hampshire, Old England

Re: Anyone a fan of Burns/Baldwin guitars?

Post by johnnysomersett » Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:52 pm

:D :D :D
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

User avatar
tribi9
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 11312
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:38 am
Location: Canada Dry

Re: Anyone a fan of Burns/Baldwin guitars?

Post by tribi9 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:13 pm

BoringPostcards wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:59 am
Mangano wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:50 am
Yes
You necroposted an 11 year old thread to say yes??
And his first post too. Like a boss.

User avatar
mbene085
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 8387
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 5:07 am

Re: Anyone a fan of Burns/Baldwin guitars?

Post by mbene085 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:30 pm

tribi9 wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:13 pm
BoringPostcards wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:59 am
Mangano wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:50 am
Yes
You necroposted an 11 year old thread to say yes??
And his first post too. Like a boss.
Joined two years in advance, too.

Thought about replying when the thread was 9 years old, but like any master of comedy, understood that timing was everything.

Post Reply