AliExpress: I got lucky.

For guitars of the straight waisted variety (or reverse offset).
raphaël
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: AliExpress: I got lucky.

Post by raphaël » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:46 am

Maybe the guitar was lost because its transparent :P ?
cincinnatiharry wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:19 am
All I can see is a fantastic floor, a great shade of blue, beautiful curtains and an amaaaazing chair !
Purple + blue + wood is awesome. I wouln't thought of it.

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:01 am

tribi9 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:43 pm
aka the seller got fucked!
Not sure about that as it was probably insured and/or AliExpress paid them. I can say I don’t care either way. I slept fine last night!

After this didn’t arrive for 3 months , and the seller on AliExpress CLOSED their store, and didn’t reply to messages, and the tracking showed nothing but a label created: yeah I initiated a a charge back. Anyone would, and the babel agreed with me.

After this last AliExpress purchase, I was going to be my last, as other items purchased (tools, electronics, etc.) showed up and were shit, I said “nope never again”.

So this works out for me! Sorry you’re so butt hurt over it!
"some misguided Marin county hot-tubber"

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:03 am

Did I say it was the body shape? It literally has "Ampeg" printed on it.
FYI, I wish Ampeg made and sold these; they don’t and haven’t for many years since the last re-issue.
Last edited by cincinnatiharry on Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:40 am

cincinnatiharry wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:01 am
tribi9 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:43 pm
aka the seller got fucked!
Not sure about that as it was probably insured and/or AliExpress paid them. I can say I don’t care either way. I slept fine last night!

After this didn’t arrive for 3 months , and the seller on AliExpress CLOSED their store, and didn’t reply to messages, and the tracking showed nothing but a label created: yeah I initiated a a charge back. Anyone would, and the babel agreed with me.

After this last AliExpress purchase, I was going to be my last, as other items purchased (tools, electronics, etc.) showed up and were shit, I said “nope never again”.

So this works out for me! Sorry you’re so butt hurt over it!
How does saying that the seller got fucked equal im butthurt?

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:02 pm

Moral gray area. You thought it was lost, all parties involved probably filed their insurance claims and have been reimbursed. Trying to pay them back now or sending it back would probably complicate matters for all those involved and be more of a headache for them than they were out money wise. At work I always put something in my divisions budget to cover potential losses, i'd assume they are doing the same.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:44 pm

i'm always seeing ads with these on them and the unwound fan in me has always been tempted to make it like justin trosper's ventura dan armstrong copy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUnn5wNlQqs

personally, my experience with aliexpress/wish is basically a bunch of people trying to screw each other over. i've bought a few things (less than 10) from there in the past and only 1 item never had an issue. i had items not show up, not even resemble the item advertised, wrong item entirely, mismatched pair and trying to get a refund in all those cases was really hard. as a result, i've avoided it like the plague since then.

anyway. welcome to the "oh shit, plexi guitars are really difficult to photograph" club
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:14 pm

I mean, this is a company making money by selling other people's intellectual property, very obviously in this case since the guitar is labelled Dan Armstrong, and probably they do so in such ridiculous volumes that it made financial sense for them to tool up for copying an obscure lucite guitar in the first place.

Someone lost a bit of money here, who is unclear, but for sure no one who will suffer greatly from one guitar going missing and if I were you I'd just keep it. A small shop or firm or a luthier would be a different story.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:17 pm

Ceylon wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:14 pm
I mean, this is a company making money by selling other people's intellectual property, very obviously in this case since the guitar is labelled Dan Armstrong, and probably they do so in such ridiculous volumes that it made financial sense for them to tool up for copying an obscure lucite guitar in the first place.
that's a good point. who even still owns the dan armstrong licence? last dan armstrong guitars i remember was the wood ones from the mid 00's (which are super underrated)
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

mr bungle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mr bungle » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:34 am

tribi9 wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:35 pm
Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:20 pm
There's also the question of how do you pay them for it now? I'd not be bragging about being lucky, but I'd probably write it off.
Ive had an item show up 6 months late. It was something small. O had gotten a refund earlier. I let the seller know and he setup a link for me to pay.
I had the same years back. A retro rocket lamp from the UK via eBay. Long delays and got refunded. Finally showed up so got in touch with seller. She was pregnant with her first child and was stoked with the ‘extra’ cash.

mr bungle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mr bungle » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:36 am

Off to the Hall of Shame for cincinnatiharry.

redchapterjubilee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:55 am

I had this happen once when I bought a pedal. It got lost, seller sent me another, and claimed insurance on the lost pedal. 6 months later the original pedal arrived. I asked the seller what to do about it, seller said keep it. It was way too much hassle to do anything else. I gave the extra to a friend who still uses it. Wins for everyone, eventually. For a couple of months there was no winning for anyone. Hello modern supply and delivery chain.

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:18 am

shoule79 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:02 pm
Moral gray area. You thought it was lost, all parties involved probably filed their insurance claims and have been reimbursed. Trying to pay them back now or sending it back would probably complicate matters for all those involved and be more of a headache for them than they were out money wise. At work I always put something in my divisions budget to cover potential losses, i'd assume they are doing the same.
Yes, but to be honest, I see it as karma... I have been dicked over many times by online sellers/websites. That said, if the seller (who's store is closed now) did come back to me and ask that I pay them the $180 or so, I happily will.

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:00 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:17 pm
Ceylon wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:14 pm
that's a good point. who even still owns the dan armstrong licence? last dan armstrong guitars i remember was the wood ones from the mid 00's (which are super underrated)
I suspect Ampeg still owns it. That said, Ampeg haven't made re-issues in a long time, and the re-issues go for €2000 plus and the originals from the late 60s go for €3000 to €4000.

I originally wanted one of these: https://www.badcatinstruments.com/ac230

The BAD CAT "AC230" both my fake Ampeg Dan Armstrong and this "AC230" are made in China. Sadly, at that time, BAD CAT didn't ship to Ireland (they DID ship to the U.K. and France strangely, but not Ireland) .

If Ampeg released a new Dan Armstrong, I would buy it as long as it cost under €1500.00

BAD CAT AC230 review here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPcuiLPGn0c

As for mine, I could see someone down the line confusing it for a real Ampeg Dan Armstrong so I would alter or remove that logo from the pick guard if I was ever to sell it.

One of the biggest differences is that REAL Ampeg Dan Armstrongs come with easily swappable pickup types. You got a Humbucker, a single coil, and something else (I can't recall) but this fake doesn't do that. Also real Ampeg Dan Armstrongs have two strap buttons on the bottom so it can rest against a wall or amp, essentially it is it's own stand. Again, the fake has only 1 strap button on the bottom and it's in the centre.

This fake guitar DOES play nice. Issues: the nut is too tall, the pickup ins't great, the tuners could be better. I am gonna swap out the nut for a self-lubercating nut, put in some Gotoh locking tuners, and this pickup:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 7f93nQS0tb

What's good about it?

Plays good (even though the nut is too high). Well made, the 24 frets were levelled, some time was spent (which is rare for "Third Shift" Chinese knock-off guitars). The fret ends are NOT sharp (surprisingly) The pick guard and truss rod cover is real wood (the Dan Armstrongs were plastic I believe). The switch on the pick guard is really rad, I changes the sound a lot.

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:12 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:44 pm
i'm always seeing ads with these on them and the unwound fan in me has always been tempted to make it like justin trosper's ventura dan armstrong copy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUnn5wNlQqs

personally, my experience with aliexpress/wish is basically a bunch of people trying to screw each other over. i've bought a few things (less than 10) from there in the past and only 1 item never had an issue. i had items not show up, not even resemble the item advertised, wrong item entirely, mismatched pair and trying to get a refund in all those cases was really hard. as a result, i've avoided it like the plague since then.

anyway. welcome to the "oh shit, plexi guitars are really difficult to photograph" club
I LOVE UNWOUND. New Plastic Ideas is one of my favourite albums of their's. That plexiglass guitar you have is rad. I am REALLY getting into plexiglass guitars and aluminium ones right now. I will probably keep my current collection but I can see plexiglass and aluminium guitars being my go-to number ones.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:34 pm

cincinnatiharry wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:18 am
shoule79 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:02 pm
Yes, but to be honest, I see it as karma... I have been dicked over many times by online sellers/websites. That said, if the seller (who's store is closed now) did come back to me and ask that I pay them the $180 or so, I happily will.
Take it as the universe conspiring to give you a win.

On a side note, cool guitar. A Dan Armstrong is on my list of need to own one day guitars. I wish Bad Cat would ship out of the US :(. I literally grew up a KM from the border.