Shadoweclipse13's New Project Thread!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.

Console Steel/Slide Guitar Carve Area Design Ideas

#1 (Picture 1 Top) - Parallel carve, straight lines to the edge
No votes
#2 (Picture 1 Middle) - Parallel carve, angled lines to the edge
29%
#3 (Picture 1 Bottom) - Parallel carve, curved lines to the edge
29%
#4 (Picture 2 Top) - Angled carve, straight lines to the edge
No votes
#5 (Picture 2 Middle) - Angled carve, angled lines to the edge
29%
#6 (Picture 2 Bottom) - Angled carve, curved lines to the edge
14%
#7 - Your own idea!
No votes

Total votes: 7

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Shadoweclipse13's New Project Thread!

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:31 am

Baritone:

Got a picture from Deed_Poll. My Juniorbird baritone body is almost ready to be sent!

(Don't know why I couldn't get the direct link from the Imgur app (besides the fact that it's garbage)).
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:25 pm

:freako: :freako:

I can't wait to see the thing come together man! Hope it all fits well with the bits you have. I think the Juniorbird body is a great candidate for a baritone, it's nice and large and looks long thanks to the shape of the guard :)
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:32 pm

Deed_Poll wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:25 pm
:freako: :freako:

I can't wait to see the thing come together man! Hope it all fits well with the bits you have. I think the Juniorbird body is a great candidate for a baritone, it's nice and large and looks long thanks to the shape of the guard :)
Completely agree!! I loved that design from the beginning, but I don't remember what caused me to think of it as a baritone :D

Just you wait how it's gonna turn out!!
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:20 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:10 pm
...a Mustang/Tele bridge pickup plate, all from Faction.

Slide/Console Steel:

I forgot to mention a few things about the console slide steel project. I bought the 6-string head template from George Boards (as well as some 3D-printed console slide leg-receivers), a set of pickups from Roadhouse (Tele bridge pickup and one of his KT-100s for the neck pickup), and the fretboard. It took a while to find a fretboard that I liked, mostly due to how slide guitar traditionally uses different scales from guitar.

I bought it from Precision Guitar Kits: roasted plain (no flame or quilting) maple, slots for frets (which I might try to fill with something, not sure), in 24.5" scale, and 7-string width. I figured the 7-string width would look kinda classy on a 6-string console slide.

Wiring will be pretty simple, but I haven't thought it through yet. The bridge and nut will both be round brass, mounted in some fashion that I've yet to figure out.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:05 pm

Received a package a day early!! Thanks Deed_Poll and DHL!

I'm sure you all remember the 70's Sci-Fi goodness:

Well...

Mocked up with all the parts I've got for it so far. The pickguard is just a template (and will be black with blue lines).

Mocked up with my Tele neck since I don't have my baritone conversion neck yet.

Detail shot! I've got gray caps for the rocker switches, and might go back and forth between different color combos for the switches. I also tried other knobs, but the body is big enough that all other pot knobs look too small, so I'm going with these BIG ASS knobs!

I will post progress pictures and updates very soon! My neck should be here in the next 2 weeks, so I really want it playable (it won't be finished yet). And I'll be honest. Per my concept picture above, I've always had a 70's brown in my head, but I'm REALLY tempted to just hit the body with a clearcoat instead of paint.

For the pickguard, I've always had the idea of a 2-piece guard (black plastic bottom, clear acrylic on top, blue lines as decals taped to the bottom of the clear) cut together, so that the edge taper would match. The idea I had would be countersunk screws on top, so the screws hold the 2 guard pieces together. I may still do that, but I'm tempted to have the black guard done as an anodized guard, but I haven't decided yet...

evanforbass
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by evanforbass » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:19 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:05 pm
Received a package a day early!! Thanks Deed_Poll and DHL!

Detail shot! I've got gray caps for the rocker switches, and might go back and forth between different color combos for the switches. I also tried other knobs, but the body is big enough that all other pot knobs look too small, so I'm going with these BIG ASS knobs!

This is rad! I love the choices.. knobs, switches, layout. What is that vibrato unit? I do think black would be a good color for this

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:53 am

Thanks man!!

Black would probably look good on this! I'm definitely set on just clearcoating the body so it's brown and with the gorgeous wood grain, and it will probably get a black anodized guard.

The trem is a Duesenberg Les Trem II. It's a bit hard to see because it's not anchored just yet.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:31 pm

Man it's going to be so cool! I'm glad you chose to keep the wood grain - it's really a bombastic figure on that body, isn't it? And it goes this beautiful golden brown under a bit of alcohol, too!

With the lines how you designed them, I'm just a little unclear about how it would work in two layers. Surely there might be sections of the black on top that have no screw to hold them down?

I would have thought you want something like Traffolyte - for the life of me, I can't find any in black on blue! But maybe the gloss black on gold 1.6mm would look cool with the general scheme?

From their catalogue - https://traffolyte.com/wp-content/uploa ... erials.pdf

Website - https://traffolyte.com/traffolyte-sheet-material/

Cheers!

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:33 pm

That traffolyte is cool stuff!!! I'll have to look into that. It would seriously make it easier I think.

My idea was to have the black guard (plastic or anodized) closer to the guitar (between the Juniorbird body and the outer/clear guard). I was just gonna have a decal made in blue or just paint the stripes. The paint would essentially be on top of the black guard, but protected since it's on the underside of a clear guard piece. Kind of like how some Gretsch guards are clear but painted gold from behind (or is that Rickenbacker?)

If I end up doing it as a 2-piece guard, I think the trick will be to get the edge tapering accurate, and where the guard is held together and stays straight/doesn't slip.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:45 pm

Ah I see what you mean - yes, that would be possible! Not sure if this would be the best way to go, but you might be able to use the template, put the two layers on top and tighten them together / down to the template with three or more screw holes, attaching them through the pickguard holes in the template. Then you can bandsaw around the two together towards the template shape, and then route around the edge of both with the chamfer. Finally, you drill and countersink the remaining holes through the underside of the template, separate the two and insert your decal as you suggest before popping them back together again.

I still think you'd probably get better results with a laminated material though, or just anodised black ;)

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:59 am

Deed_Poll wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:45 pm
Ah I see what you mean - yes, that would be possible! Not sure if this would be the best way to go, but you might be able to use the template, put the two layers on top and tighten them together / down to the template with three or more screw holes, attaching them through the pickguard holes in the template. Then you can bandsaw around the two together towards the template shape, and then route around the edge of both with the chamfer. Finally, you drill and countersink the remaining holes through the underside of the template, separate the two and insert your decal as you suggest before popping them back together again.

I still think you'd probably get better results with a laminated material though, or just anodised black ;)
Funny you say that! That's pretty much how I was theorizing to do that. I figured that countersunk screws would likely be my best chance at getting them both lined up, provided that they are cut and drilled dead-on to each other.

I like the idea of simple, but I also don't think that the design (color scheme-wise) is completely without the lines. To me, the lines are what makes it stand out. I like the idea of laminated layers too, but that also creates another "issue": a pickguard with grooves in the top. I guess I could fill those cut channels with clear resin or something though...

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:15 am

I think the grooves would be shallow / wide enough not to be distracting. In fact, I think it would enhance the look - like being subtly and deliberately embossed. That ply material is made for signs, you will have seen it everywhere in businesses, workplaces etc. Whenever you see a one-off sign, go up close to it and see if it's made of this material, and you'll get an idea of how it might look :)

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:44 am

That's interesting. If that company (or others I may find) don't have a layered blue-black plastic sheet like that, I wonder if I'd be able to glue and make my own laminate from 2 sheets of solid color... You're giving me ideas here dude, haha. And I was pretty much set to order an anodized one from our OSG buddy Herad... Hmm...

EDIT: Just emailed Traffolyte to see if they have anything black and blue. There's also Tap Plastics on the US west coast. They have a ton of cool colors, and I wonder if I could get 2 sheets of acrylic and glue them together. Like a plain black and translucent blue. They even have a mirrored blue would would give a really cool vibe I think too.

Tap Plastics

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:44 pm

Yes, I think laminating it yourself is probably the best way to go about it! I mean, it seems a bit daunting, but probably not compared to the steps you'd need to take in order to make the two-layer idea work, and I feel like the result would look more polished

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:30 pm

The only thing I think about for doing the laminating myself is that I'd see bright blue AND black around the edges of the guard, and I think that might be a bit much. If it turned out that way, I wonder how it would look to paint the edges black...