What's on your workbench right now?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by noisepunk » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:15 pm

SuperAxe wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:39 pm
Re your question... you are spot on. I have a Vox AC15 and a Fender Princeton and noticed how the Tolex was glued on so differently. I really like the way it is done on the Vox so did the same for mine. You use a little more tolex but the clean looks and having only one 'overlap' on the bottom is well worth it imo.
i'd love to be pointed to any guides on this you came across–thinking i might do a new cab for my princeton soon, just because i've wanted to make one for quite a while and have really good access to tooling right now.

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:42 am

Bit more of the same with new clothes. Made a few Klon-circuit custom drives in all-white.

And this one's a little bench tool I whipped up for testing tube preamp circuits. Switchmode power supply that takes a readily available 9V source and outputs 100 - 285VDC.

Instagram: thetonyballs

SuperAxe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SuperAxe » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:44 pm

noisepunk wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:15 pm
SuperAxe wrote:
Re your question... you are spot on. I have a Vox AC15 and a Fender Princeton and noticed how the Tolex was glued on so differently. I really like the way it is done on the Vox so did the same for mine. You use a little more tolex but the clean looks and having only one 'overlap' on the bottom is well worth it imo.
i'd love to be pointed to any guides on this you came across–thinking i might do a new cab for my princeton soon, just because i've wanted to make one for quite a while and have really good access to tooling right now.
Bit hard to guess what pointers you are looking for. Building the cab or tolexing the cab?
Re the latter, it is really important to select the right glue for the job. I have used a contact glue which is applied to both surfaces and then put together after, say, 30 minutes or so. Read instructions, but don't let it get too dry as you won't be able to

A few observations...
1) if you are a tolex novice, just glue in 'one plane' only at the time. Don't go around corners and edges until the 'plane' you have glued has dried. The first 'plane' I did was the bottom of the cab... if you stuff it up then it is not as noticeable.
2) Cover the tolex you are NOT gluing with tape so it doesn't receive any glue. See photo for explanation of this and note that I am only gluing in one plane...
3) The glue on the timber will dry faster (absorbs) than the glue on the tolex. So perhaps delay applying it. Trial and error!

Good luck with your pending project.

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:06 pm

SuperAxe wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:44 pm
noisepunk wrote:
SuperAxe wrote:
Bit hard to guess what pointers you are looking for. Building the cab or tolexing the cab?
Re the latter, it is really important to select the right glue for the job. I have used a contact glue which is applied to both surfaces and then put together after, say, 30 minutes or so. Read instructions, but don't let it get too dry as you won't be able to

A few observations...
1) if you are a tolex novice, just glue in 'one plane' only at the time. Don't go around corners and edges until the 'plane' you have glued has dried. The first 'plane' I did was the bottom of the cab... if you stuff it up then it is not as noticeable.
2) Cover the tolex you are NOT gluing with tape so it doesn't receive any glue. See photo for explanation of this and note that I am only gluing in one plane...
3) The glue on the timber will dry faster (absorbs) than the glue on the tolex. So perhaps delay applying it. Trial and error!

https://www.nzguitars.com/forum/downloa ... p?id=21470
yes, sorry, i was a bit vague there. help with the tolexing part–i've never made a cab, but i'm a pretty competent woodworker and think i'll be able to manage with that part.

i'm actually planning on using patterned oil-cloth (so i'll have to do some glue research) but i'd been stressing a little over pattern continuity and hadn't realized there was a difference between how vox and fender apply their tolex, thus why i asked.

thanks for the tips!

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:24 am

noisepunk wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:06 pm
SuperAxe wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:44 pm
noisepunk wrote:

A few observations...

https://www.nzguitars.com/forum/downloa ... p?id=21470
yes, sorry, i was a bit vague there. help with the tolexing part–i've never made a cab, but i'm a pretty competent woodworker and think i'll be able to manage with that part.

i'm actually planning on using patterned oil-cloth (so i'll have to do some glue research) but i'd been stressing a little over pattern continuity and hadn't realized there was a difference between how vox and fender apply their tolex, thus why i asked.

thanks for the tips!
It depends on your oil cloth too; a lot of modern ones are vinyl instead of oiled. Those should stick just like tolex.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:19 pm

Steadyriot. wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:24 am
It depends on your oil cloth too; a lot of modern ones are vinyl instead of oiled. Those should stick just like tolex.
yeah, i think it's pretty hard to find actual oil-cloth anymore, but either way i think the actual cloth part–i.e., what would actually be adhered to the wood–is usually cotton based. i don't imagine it would at all be hard finding something that worked, but it might be different from whatever gets used for tolex.

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:37 pm

SuperAxe wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:37 am
hexes wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:24 pm
finished this tilt-back 1x15 cab to complete a fender princeton head, 2x10 with one alnico and one ceramic, and a neo mag 1x15 cab short stack. also, have a different amp project brewing for one of our own. wiring up a 5f10 harvard chassis for a righteous dude.

Nice! What grill cloth do you use and where to buy? The one I used is plastic woven material and quite thick. It is hard to glue it onto the baffle due to its thickness and therefore its inherent memory.

Looking for something that is thinner and ideally can be stapled on. Any suggestions?
it’s just fender style grille cloth, likely similar to what you already have. i staple it on, but i staple the back side, not the edges unless i’m adding piping.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:13 am

It lives!
This one gave me so many problems, but it's finally done. The Novak Lipsticks sound amazing. I decided to try out a ZeroGlide fret on this one and it is a really slick system. I really like the 25" scale too. Initial setup is with a set of EB Mondo Slinky 10.5-52. One of my heavier guitars at 8#10oz, but the sound is worth it.

With my original Domino (refinned to factory color)

Watch for better pics and the full list of specs coming soon to my project thread.

I've also been clear coating the decal on my Fender Performer tribute build. I'm really excited to get this one together. I still need to polish the body though.
Doug
@dpcannafax

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:05 am

looks pretty cool ,i find this shape really nice that why i had 2 ;)

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:00 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:13 am
It lives!
This one gave me so many problems, but it's finally done. The Novak Lipsticks sound amazing. I decided to try out a ZeroGlide fret on this one and it is a really slick system. I really like the 25" scale too. Initial setup is with a set of EB Mondo Slinky 10.5-52. One of my heavier guitars at 8#10oz, but the sound is worth it.

With my original Domino (refinned to factory color)

Watch for better pics and the full list of specs coming soon to my project thread.

I've also been clear coating the decal on my Fender Performer tribute build. I'm really excited to get this one together. I still need to polish the body though.
It's nice to see this style of decal come back. I'm sure it's not everyone's favorite but it'a nice to see that it isn't forgotten.

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:04 pm

That olive green bastard is glorious!

SuperAxe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SuperAxe » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:29 pm

Cabinet finished but no amp yet :-[

Those back panels took forever to make. Also, gluing the tolex with those cutouts ain't easy. Still, very happy with the result ;D

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:48 pm

^^Very clean! Worthy of the amp going into it. 8)
Watching the corners turn corners

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:41 am

wired up the jackalope. can't help but feel there's something missing
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:59 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:41 am
wired up the jackalope. can't help but feel there's something missing
A neck?
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384