What's on your workbench right now?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by garyptaszek » Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:37 am

antisymmetric wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:42 am
garyptaszek wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:46 am
what are those inlays made of? They really suit that guitar.
Acrylic pen blanks They come in lots of colours/ patterns, I've used them for inlays, knobs, trem arm tips etc. Really cool stuff.
nicely done.

michel v
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by michel v » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:14 am

antisymmetric wrote:
Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:21 am
Yeah my bombsite workbench- I have no explanation for that match being there, it must have been from something I was trying months ago. The bench gets covered with all manner of stuff, then when there's a chance to work on a guitar, everything just gets pushed out of the way. :fp:
I'm the same :D! And the pushing of things is often followed by the sound of some tiny part falling on the floor and rolling out of sight :whistle:

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:42 pm

I have to admit that I don't actually have a workbench. Though I still have plenty of piles of detritus to deal with.

Anyway, here are a pair of Swingers. The one with the pearl guard is for me, while the mint guard is for copacetic.
Doug
@dpcannafax

efiug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by efiug » Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:53 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:42 pm
I have to admit that I don't actually have a workbench. Though I still have plenty of piles of detritus to deal with.

Anyway, here are a pair of Swingers. The one with the pearl guard is for me, while the mint guard is for copacetic.
These look great! What kind of bridge are you planning to put on, I've been in the planning steps for a duo-sonic II build but it seems impossible to find a bridge in the same sort of style that isn't just one from a vintage duo-sonic/musicmaster.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:13 pm

efiug wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:53 pm
ThePearDream wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:42 pm

These look great! What kind of bridge are you planning to put on, I've been in the planning steps for a duo-sonic II build but it seems impossible to find a bridge in the same sort of style that isn't just one from a vintage duo-sonic/musicmaster.
Fender sells the Toronado bridge again.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:27 pm

efiug wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:53 pm

copacetic was going to use a Tornado bridge I believe. I did this on my own Duo-Sonic II build. It's a fairly common mod, requiring three new holes for intonation screws. I have something (non-vintage correct) of my own that I'm working on.

Doug
@dpcannafax

RobDux
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RobDux » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:31 am

Forgot to post this when it was actually on/leaving my bench but now it's done and has been given to my dad!
Over the moon with how it turned out and it feels so good to have this oddly shaped monkey off my back after nearly a decade.

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:20 am

^^Labour of love and learning curve all wrapped up into one! I'll bet your dad loves it. 8)
Watching the corners turn corners

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:35 am

garyptaszek wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:39 am
sal paradise wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:46 pm
This is an interesting rabbit hole- but proving really hard to follow via Google. Where can I hear more of his music?
His new band is called "Harshmellow", they're on all the streaming services I think. I think Dale Crover (from Melvins) is playing drums with them at the moment. His old band was "fluf".
Also let us not forget Olivelawn! presented in my autobiographically favorite setting, the contests segment of the seminal 1993 Plan B skateboard video, "Virtual Reality"

O also was a prominent skate photographer of the era and was featured in a Foundation ad:

Instagram: thetonyballs

tequila_in_teacups
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tequila_in_teacups » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:38 am

I wasn't happy with my last swirly paint job on this DOD clone, so I had another go. Primed and painted, then did an acrylic pour with clear on top.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:43 am

Van Gogh would be proud
She/Her

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:23 pm

Happy New Year, all! Here's my final mod project for 2022...

I've had a set of Lollar P90s sitting in my parts bin for about a year and a half. They were in a used Fender Mustang Player 90 that I bought off of Reverb. I put some D'Urbano Firebird pickups in that Mustang - great guitar but it got swept up in one of my guitar purges in 2022. I've never had a Lollar set of pickups before so I've been very interested in using these P90s.

I spent quite a while (weeks!) trying to find a guitar on Reverb/online shops to put these in or a body for a future build. After my gear downsizing purges and then going a bit sale-crazy in November where I acquired few new Squiers on the cheap, I realized I really don't want/need another guitar or body for a project at this point.

During the Black Friday sales, though, I did get a Squier Paranormal Toronado for crazy cheap. Since I've got a few guitars with humbuckers, I thought the Toronado would be the perfect candidate.

The only problem was, I'm awful at making pickguards and I didn't have any success finding online shops that sell soapbar P90 pickguards for Toronados. Then I remembered a guy on eBay (https://www.ebay.com/str/lomicguitars) that made my custom Paranormal Cyclone pickguard to fit clawed Jaguar pickups. So I did a quick search on eBay for Toronado pickguards and sure enough, The Lomic Guitars guy does Toronado pickguards with custom options for various pickups. I reached out to him and went with a mint green pickguard. He doesn't have a huge selection of pickguard color options, but you can send him a pickguard sheet of your choice if you want. I thought the mint guard will be fine with the mystic seafoam finish.

I have amber overhead lights in my home office/mancave, so this one looks more cream than mint...

Initially, I was going to go with the white pickup covers that came on the Mustang Player 90 but the previous owner had widened one of the screw holes a bit too much with a screwdriver or something, so it looked kind of janky. I went with black pickup covers instead, which work with the black switch tip (and back black cavity cover).

The Lollar P90s sound great, too! 8)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:50 am

Surfysonic wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:23 pm
Happy New Year, all! Here's my final mod project for 2022...

I've had a set of Lollar P90s sitting in my parts bin for about a year and a half. They were in a used Fender Mustang Player 90 that I bought off of Reverb. I put some D'Urbano Firebird pickups in that Mustang - great guitar but it got swept up in one of my guitar purges in 2022. I've never had a Lollar set of pickups before so I've been very interested in using these P90s.

I spent quite a while (weeks!) trying to find a guitar on Reverb/online shops to put these in or a body for a future build. After my gear downsizing purges and then going a bit sale-crazy in November where I acquired few new Squiers on the cheap, I realized I really don't want/need another guitar or body for a project at this point.

During the Black Friday sales, though, I did get a Squier Paranormal Toronado for crazy cheap. Since I've got a few guitars with humbuckers, I thought the Toronado would be the perfect candidate.

The only problem was, I'm awful at making pickguards and I didn't have any success finding online shops that sell soapbar P90 pickguards for Toronados. Then I remembered a guy on eBay (https://www.ebay.com/str/lomicguitars) that made my custom Paranormal Cyclone pickguard to fit clawed Jaguar pickups. So I did a quick search on eBay for Toronado pickguards and sure enough, The Lomic Guitars guy does Toronado pickguards with custom options for various pickups. I reached out to him and went with a mint green pickguard. He doesn't have a huge selection of pickguard color options, but you can send him a pickguard sheet of your choice if you want. I thought the mint guard will be fine with the mystic seafoam finish.

I have amber overhead lights in my home office/mancave, so this one looks more cream than mint...

Initially, I was going to go with the white pickup covers that came on the Mustang Player 90 but the previous owner had widened one of the screw holes a bit too much with a screwdriver or something, so it looked kind of janky. I went with black pickup covers instead, which work with the black switch tip (and back black cavity cover).

The Lollar P90s sound great, too! 8)
this is rad. I've always wanted a tornado, kinda tempted by one of the squire ones before they get discontinued and sky rocket in price.

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:37 pm

Surfysonic wrote:
Nice. That looks super classy and very clean. Congrats on the new pickup / pickguard day.

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:20 pm

garyptaszek wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:50 am
this is rad. I've always wanted a tornado, kinda tempted by one of the squire ones before they get discontinued and sky rocket in price.
Thanks, Gary! I couldn't resist the irresistible ProAudioStar sales over here. Definitely go for it if interested - it's a decent build and the wiring was tidy, too. :)
smjenkins wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:37 pm
Surfysonic wrote:
Nice. That looks super classy and very clean. Congrats on the new pickup / pickguard day.
Thanks, smjenkins! 8)
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...