What's on your workbench right now?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by antisymmetric » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:42 pm

snarf wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:41 pm
Thanks for sharing that, including your fine tuning through experience. I intend to do a blond JM and was intending to follow the Stewmac instructions, your explanation is super helpful. 8) 8)
Watching the corners turn corners

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:43 pm

Turning this:
Into this:
fixing a blemish on this:
This could be interesting: it's an alder body and is getting stained fuchsia, with light tortoise top binding, a fuchsia sparkle top, possibly a bigsby B5 and an as yet to be determined neck pickup: Image
This one will be fun, it's getting a light tortoise top binding, purple stain, purple sparkle top with matching headstock, Fralin Hum Cancelling JM pickups, Witch Hat knobs, most likely an AVRI bridge and either a Mastery, Descendant or Göldo tremolo tail piece. I may also weight receive it (it's 60's Les Paul heavy) and give it a Thinline style top.
and finally, this Dipinto Orbital II will get a Green Sparkle finish on the body and headstock, before handing it back to Chris Dipinto for the finishing touches.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:44 pm

I read this in the wrong order.

kifla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kifla » Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:42 pm

Posted this on another forum, but figured maybe people here would be interested too...
Old Marauder Type I bodies. I was so close to throw 'em in the trash because those were "experimental" back in 2014...but decided to acquire cheap necks and make them to guitars.

First one is samba wood body...very light and resonant. I do not really remember why I've scraped this body.
So, bought a cheap neck from our friends on AliExpress..$70. It arrived heavily drowned in polyester finish and kinda skewed.
Took the poly off, made a nice walnut plug for hideous truss rod opening and spray it with nitro. Truss rod is functional (surprise!)
so straightened the neck and did the fret leveling & re-crowning. It was a minimal intervention...frets were done pretty well.
Put in 4 neodymium 16pole pickups (standard Marauder issue:)) and...it' actually plays nicely, plugged and unplugged! Samba bodies are very loud.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second one is alder body. I remember why I've scrapped this one. The guy for whom I've made Marauders back then wanted necks sunk into the body
to gain some extra "field" from the pickups. Went too far with this one:D:D. That is why there is no ferrule holes... just stopped working on it.
So...made a "nice" 3mm thick neck shim and screw on an Allparts neck from fleaBay for $100 accompanied with top loader Schaller 3D6 bridge.
Didn't wire it...cause I got lazy. Wiring a Marauder Type I guitar is ...well, PIA!!:):)
Will do after the Holidays.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I finally got back my second Marauder XII. It left home during Harvey (I was in Croatia back then) and arrived with damaged neck and some other issues. Managed to fix the neck and restrung it. I really...really like the sound of 12 string guitars; especially those weird Marauder pickups off-phase-serial-parallel combinations. It still requires a lot of work to bi in top shape...again, after the Holidays.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:28 am

kifla wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:42 pm
Posted this on another forum, but figured maybe people here would be interested too...

This makes me feel funny inside :-* :-* :-* :? :? :?
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:16 am

This Swamp Ash JM has a flat top and will get stained purple & receive a tortoise binding to set off a purple sparkle top. Thing is really heavy though, like Les Paul heavy. I'm giving serious thought to planing 6mm off of the back, routing tone chambers, and putting a sound hole on top then covering it back up. should I?

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:54 am

kifla wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:42 pm
Old Marauder Type I bodies. I was so close to throw 'em in the trash because those were "experimental" back in 2014...but decided to acquire cheap necks and make them to guitars.

First one is samba wood body...very light and resonant. I do not really remember why I've scraped this body.
So, bought a cheap neck from our friends on AliExpress..$70. It arrived heavily drowned in polyester finish and kinda skewed.
Took the poly off, made a nice walnut plug for hideous truss rod opening and spray it with nitro. Truss rod is functional (surprise!)
so straightened the neck and did the fret leveling & re-crowning. It was a minimal intervention...frets were done pretty well.
Put in 4 neodymium 16pole pickups (standard Marauder issue:)) and...it' actually plays nicely, plugged and unplugged! Samba bodies are very loud.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second one is alder body. I remember why I've scrapped this one. The guy for whom I've made Marauders back then wanted necks sunk into the body
to gain some extra "field" from the pickups. Went too far with this one:D:D. That is why there is no ferrule holes... just stopped working on it.
So...made a "nice" 3mm thick neck shim and screw on an Allparts neck from fleaBay for $100 accompanied with top loader Schaller 3D6 bridge.
Didn't wire it...cause I got lazy. Wiring a Marauder Type I guitar is ...well, PIA!!:):)
Will do after the Holidays.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I finally got back my second Marauder XII. It left home during Harvey (I was in Croatia back then) and arrived with damaged neck and some other issues. Managed to fix the neck and restrung it. I really...really like the sound of 12 string guitars; especially those weird Marauder pickups off-phase-serial-parallel combinations. It still requires a lot of work to bi in top shape...again, after the Holidays.
You ve got nice craps ,would you put out the garbage can and told me the adress , this way i can recycle them :D

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:12 pm

I've finally had a chance to do assembly on my Performer build. I've been so busy with the day job and kitchen reno and everything has just been sitting and waiting.

(1986 Performer) X (1987 Stratocaster Plus) = this thing I've named "Mercury". A 7lb, offset bodied, super-strat. Rock Grey 2-piece alder body with a Fender Deluxe vibrato. Curly maple 25" neck with a progressive asymmetric neck profile (but beefier than a typical shredder neck), 9.5" radius, medium fretwire, satin finish, Tusq nut, and Gotoh locking tuners. Lace Blue/Silver/Red set, Freeway 10-way switch, Master volume with Kinman treble bleed, and a TBX tone control.

Unfortunately, the high e saddle is missing a height adjustment screw, so a full setup will have to wait until a replacement arrives.

Doug
@dpcannafax

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:22 pm

nice even i am not fan of grey

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:33 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:12 pm
I've finally had a chance to do assembly on my Performer build. I've been so busy with the day job and kitchen reno and everything has just been sitting and waiting.

(1986 Performer) X (1987 Stratocaster Plus) = this thing I've named "Mercury". A 7lb, offset bodied, super-strat. Rock Grey 2-piece alder body with a Fender Deluxe vibrato. Curly maple 25" neck with a progressive asymmetric neck profile (but beefier than a typical shredder neck), 9.5" radius, medium fretwire, satin finish, Tusq nut, and Gotoh locking tuners. Lace Blue/Silver/Red set, Freeway 10-way switch, Master volume with Kinman treble bleed, and a TBX tone control.

Unfortunately, the high e saddle is missing a height adjustment screw, so a full setup will have to wait until a replacement arrives.

Ooh I love that gray! The performer is such a weird guitar, kinda Swinger meets the 80’s. But you really made that bodyshape work!
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:25 am

I've done a bit of weight relieving on the ash jazzmaster body I posted earlier. Later this week, I'll clean up the routes with a plunge router, then cap the back and bind the sides with light vintage tortoloid nitrocellulose binding from Rothko and Frost.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:26 pm

Once again on the table/floor: the everlasting patient...my Thinline Jaguar.

I already loved it in so many incarnations... had PV65 on it since January and recorded our second album with them. Loved the Bridge position but the neck pickup somehow wouldn't sit straight...and sometimes sounded weak. Maybe I had them swapped too (bridge as neck and vice versa... but what that even matter when they read the same kOhms)?
Then thought I needed a change and put Qs Strat-pickups with open covers in it. Liked the neck at first but in comparison to all my other guitars it was way too thin and weird in a way I didn't know before...especially the Bridge PU. But I never tried Strat Pickups with 1 Megs and no Claw before - so I can't really tell what my problem is.
(Also: the pickups appeared too small in comparison to Jag pickups)

(but I have reached out to a custom shop dude who could work metal plating into the plastic he uses for 3D printing which could finally bring me (open) Jazzmaster and Jaguar covers... but that's another chapter)

for now: one step forward two steps back... I stumbled across this P33 from David Barfuss at eBay Kleinanzeigen. It's a Humbucking P-90 kind of Bridge Pickup but sounds good in the Neck position too. But I failed at the simplified (P90+parallel) wiring for the P-Rails :fp: - and all my humbucker-screws are either stripped or too long and the springs too weak? And now the pickups won't sit straight and I have to order a set of screws and springs as my local music store is 1) closed due to another lockdown and 2) doesn't have anything to sell either - maybe their luthier got some in the workshop...

or I just get myself another P33 or a HB-sized Jazzmaster PU for the neck and let him put some extra screws in it.
But I should also receive a HB sized set of Firebird pickups somewhen between January and February...So the pickup swap-circus might be in town soon again!

Also I start to like the old original pickguard (miss the white ply in the aluminum guards) again - but I'd need to get another one done as I don't want want to screw the (humbucker sized)-pickups into the wood again.

Anyhow: still my favorite of all necks and guitar overall!

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:40 pm

Got hold of my own GuitarForm branded delrin (tortex) picks and neck pocket stamp today!

A little more work needed on my stamping technique, but I'm pretty pleased! :)
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:15 pm

Deed_Poll wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:40 pm
One day “sloppy stamp” GF bodies will command a premium on the vintage parts market.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:00 am

countertext wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:15 pm
Deed_Poll wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:40 pm
One day “sloppy stamp” GF bodies will command a premium on the vintage parts market.
:D
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form