What's on your workbench right now?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Post Reply
User avatar
CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2405
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:52 am
Location: Thornbury Melbourne

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by CROSS_guitars » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:46 pm

The Height logo is cool.
I'd make the 'eight part of it slightly bigger.

User avatar
ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 929
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:18 am
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by ThePearDream » Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:24 am

CROSS_guitars wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:46 pm
The Height logo is cool.
I'd make the 'eight part of it slightly bigger.
I think you're right, I'll play around with the size. Thanks for the feedback!

User avatar
kifla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 328
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:09 am
Location: Zagreb, Croatia / Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by kifla » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:39 am

Wet sanding & polishing...
Image
...and not happy with the white guard anymore.
Tort...or maybe MOTO? Will see.

User avatar
HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 634
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:09 pm

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by HarlowTheFish » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:33 am

kifla wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:39 am
Wet sanding & polishing...
Image
...and not happy with the white guard anymore.
Tort...or maybe MOTO? Will see.
MOTO 8) MOTO 8) MOTO

User avatar
Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2822
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:24 am
Location: Brighton, UK

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Deed_Poll » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:13 am

Some Marauder bits ;)

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

The last pieces of the puzzle were the offset roller pot mounting brackets - I managed to find an excellent company nearby who laser cut steel and have full bending capabilities, so was able to send them my design and received them in good time.
Owner Operator of Katz Guitars

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 10104
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:26 am

Dude!!! Those look great Dan!! I love the custom mounting brackets!!!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 3:37 am

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:42 pm

Deed_Poll wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:13 am
Some Marauder bits ;)

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

The last pieces of the puzzle were the offset roller pot mounting brackets - I managed to find an excellent company nearby who laser cut steel and have full bending capabilities, so was able to send them my design and received them in good time.
I'm so glad I saw this post. Been trying to come up with a solution to use a faction mustang plate but wasn't sure how I would go about mounting the springs. Never even thought about using those nuts. Does the trem work well with them? Any tricks to them?

User avatar
BeeTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 683
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:24 pm
Contact:

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by BeeTL » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:51 pm

Some serious mad-sciencing up in here...sweet!
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

User avatar
Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2822
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:24 am
Location: Brighton, UK

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Deed_Poll » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:12 am

AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:42 pm
Deed_Poll wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:13 am
Some Marauder bits ;)

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

The last pieces of the puzzle were the offset roller pot mounting brackets - I managed to find an excellent company nearby who laser cut steel and have full bending capabilities, so was able to send them my design and received them in good time.
I'm so glad I saw this post. Been trying to come up with a solution to use a faction mustang plate but wasn't sure how I would go about mounting the springs. Never even thought about using those nuts. Does the trem work well with them? Any tricks to them?
On the subject of the hooks / springs, I'm not 100% sure what the effect will be - but judging by the pictures I've seen of the original Marauder II Prototype, I believe they were doing something similar to this - you can see two bolt heads in the same position as I have them here, instead of the hooks being punched and bent as they were on the Mustang and as I'm sure they would have been on the Marauder had it made full production.

Intuitively, I feel the Dynamic Vibrato design has plenty of range up and down, so the main concern might be the angle of the arm at rest - and that can probably be solved by carefully bending the arm if required.

The more important challenge, as you say, is devising a way of holding those bolts and the ring nuts absolutely rigid and at the correct angle, and I can think of a range of solutions, like using loctite and tightening in the bolts from the front as much as possible under full string tension, or even doing the same thing with the strings off and just making sure the ring is pointing towards the string anchor post of the vibrato unit.

If those prove to be unsuccessful, I expect a little solder would certainly keep them rigid and pointing in the right direction.

I used a large diameter panhead bolt to minimise issues, and it has an Allen key adjustment so a good amount of torque is available.

Cheers!

Dan
Owner Operator of Katz Guitars

User avatar
hillerheilman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 266
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:42 pm

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by hillerheilman » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:48 pm

Deed_Poll wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:13 am
Some Marauder bits ;)

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

The last pieces of the puzzle were the offset roller pot mounting brackets - I managed to find an excellent company nearby who laser cut steel and have full bending capabilities, so was able to send them my design and received them in good time.
Dan is up to his wizardry once again. Always great to see :D

User avatar
AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 3:37 am

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:15 pm

Thanks Dan! I appreciate it!

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 10104
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:51 am

Working on getting one of my Deed_Poll bodies finished.

I've always been more of a Fender guy, so I've never really messed with TOM/STP style bridges. I originally thought the holes were too small, but that was my fuck up in not having the correct studs for the body for mounting the bridges.

I've bought a few different ones that weren't quite right, and was wondering how far in the studs should sit in the hole before they have to be pressed in? Should they be able to go in half the length of the stud before they need to be pressed in? The ones that seem to be the best fit can only get the tip of the studs in. I'm trying to avoid having to ream or widen the holes with a drill.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
Tweedsuitcase
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:19 pm

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Tweedsuitcase » Mon May 03, 2021 12:32 pm

About to wire my lefty pots "backwards" and see if I get a useable tone control out of it. If this works, I'll see if I mind them rolling backwards, or if I want to track down reverse log pots.

Also have a stew-mac shim on the way today, so I'll pop that in place while it's apart.


Image

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 10104
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon May 03, 2021 1:35 pm

Tweedsuitcase wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:32 pm
About to wire my lefty pots "backwards" and see if I get a useable tone control out of it. If this works, I'll see if I mind them rolling backwards, or if I want to track down reverse log pots.
I'm VERY interested to see what you find. Please let us know how things work after you put the pots in!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
Tweedsuitcase
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:19 pm

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Tweedsuitcase » Wed May 05, 2021 7:57 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:35 pm
Tweedsuitcase wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:32 pm
About to wire my lefty pots "backwards" and see if I get a useable tone control out of it. If this works, I'll see if I mind them rolling backwards, or if I want to track down reverse log pots.
I'm VERY interested to see what you find. Please let us know how things work after you put the pots in!
ok, so the tone knob seems to have a subtle effect through the range now - more pronounced at the very end of the range, but does roll off highs through the middle of the range.

Now the volume knob rolls off pretty fast, which I'm not sure I'm a fan of.

Once i get my WD pickguard here and installed, I'll test more thoroughly.
What I'm thinking I may end up doing is, I may track down a reveres log/taper pot for the tone, and wire the existing volume back the other way.

Post Reply