What's on your workbench right now?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
User avatar
funkyeah!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 888
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:02 am
Location: Virginia

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by funkyeah! » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:10 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:50 am
Never heard of him. Thanks for the information, I'll have to look him up! And that bass is gorgeous!!!
Never heard of Joe Dart and Vulfpeck :derp:
Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

User avatar
AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 293
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 3:37 am

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:23 pm

funkyeah! wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:10 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:50 am
Never heard of him. Thanks for the information, I'll have to look him up! And that bass is gorgeous!!!
Never heard of Joe Dart and Vulfpeck :derp:
I'm with shadoweclipse. Who the hell is Joe Dart and what is a Vulfpeck?

User avatar
Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:05 am
Location: Stroßbùrri
Contact:

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Flurko » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:46 pm

AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:23 pm
funkyeah! wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:10 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:50 am
Never heard of him. Thanks for the information, I'll have to look him up! And that bass is gorgeous!!!
Never heard of Joe Dart and Vulfpeck :derp:
I'm with shadoweclipse. Who the hell is Joe Dart and what is a Vulfpeck?

Vulfpeck is an independent funk band mostly made of Midwestern nerds, with a massive online following that translated among other things into a sold out Madison Square Garden show :

https://youtu.be/rv4wf7bzfFE

And Joe Dart is their bassist/mascot/meme figure, just skip to Dean Town in the concert video to know why :)

User avatar
Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 846
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:16 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Steadyriot. » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:03 am

Flurko wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:46 pm
AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:23 pm
funkyeah! wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:10 am


Never heard of Joe Dart and Vulfpeck :derp:
I'm with shadoweclipse. Who the hell is Joe Dart and what is a Vulfpeck?

Vulfpeck is an independent funk band mostly made of Midwestern nerds, with a massive online following that translated among other things into a sold out Madison Square Garden show :

https://youtu.be/rv4wf7bzfFE

And Joe Dart is their bassist/mascot/meme figure, just skip to Dean Town in the concert video to know why :)
Exactly! They're pretty good, even if it's not your kind of music, you gotta appreciate the musicianship they all possess. These guys' live registrations sound like studio work.
They all have side projects too, like Fearless Flyers. I personally really like Theo Katzman's solo work.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

User avatar
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16692
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am
Location: glasgow

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:41 am

they are one of those bands everyone tells me to listen to which ironically means i'm not going to be able to listen to them because they'll never live up to the hype everyone sets for them.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

User avatar
wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 833
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:55 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by wingnutkj » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:51 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:41 am
they are one of those bands everyone tells me to listen to which ironically means i'm not going to be able to listen to them because they'll never live up to the hype everyone sets for them.
They are the Opeth of funk.
Kenny

User avatar
ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2200
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:28 pm
Location: france

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by ludobag1 » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:29 am

cut some wood
Image
Image

User avatar
ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 948
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:18 am
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by ThePearDream » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:42 pm

I'm just getting this thing together. It's the last of the three 22.5" necks.

Image

The body for my Performer copy is done curing and ready for leveling and I've finally submitted my custom decal artwork for printing. I'm really looking forward to playing this one, the body is super light, I'm trying a progressive asymmetric neck carve, and I have the Lace Sensor Blue/Silver/Red set wired up to a 10-way Freeway Switch and a TBX.

Image

My Dano/Aria build has been ready for assembly for awhile, except that I still don't have a name. I'm going to have to just settle on something...

Image

User avatar
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16692
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:30 am
Location: glasgow

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:10 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:42 pm
I'm just getting this thing together. It's the last of the three 22.5" necks.

Image

The body for my Performer copy is done curing and ready for leveling and I've finally submitted my custom decal artwork for printing. I'm really looking forward to playing this one, the body is super light, I'm trying a progressive asymmetric neck carve, and I have the Lace Sensor Blue/Silver/Red set wired up to a 10-way Freeway Switch and a TBX.

Image

My Dano/Aria build has been ready for assembly for awhile, except that I still don't have a name. I'm going to have to just settle on something...

Image
i'd be curious to see more of the aria and the 22.5 duo.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

User avatar
ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 948
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:18 am
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by ThePearDream » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:59 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:10 am
i'd be curious to see more of the aria and the 22.5 duo.
Once they're off the workbench I'll post details and more pics over on my project thread.

But, basically the Aria is a copy of the body and pickguard from my Domino Olympic (Aria 1803T). I went for the easier to source Fender bridge and vibrato, and I made some adjustments to work with the 25" scale neck that I made for it. It's getting a pair of Novak Lipsticks and the wiring includes a switch for series wiring.

This Duo was just because I'd already made complete builds out of the other two necks (that I originally made just for the practice). This one is a counterpart to my Dakota Red one. It has the same wiring scheme, allowing both series and parallel options using just the normal slide switches. It has two orphan Jag pickups. And it is a lefty, but after spending so much time with it, it doesn't look at all strange or backwards to me.

User avatar
kifla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 334
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:09 am
Location: Zagreb, Croatia / Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by kifla » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:09 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:42 pm
The body for my Performer copy is done curing and ready for leveling and I've finally submitted my custom decal artwork for printing. I'm really looking forward to playing this one, the body is super light, I'm trying a progressive asymmetric neck carve, and I have the Lace Sensor Blue/Silver/Red set wired up to a 10-way Freeway Switch and a TBX.
Image
Can't see from the pic...but this is slightly elongated body, yes?
Years ago. I made myself Performer-ish guitar with 24 fret neck...I see You use standard one;
so I am wondering about the scale...

User avatar
ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 948
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:18 am
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by ThePearDream » Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:53 pm

kifla wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:09 pm
ThePearDream wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:42 pm
The body for my Performer copy is done curing and ready for leveling and I've finally submitted my custom decal artwork for printing. I'm really looking forward to playing this one, the body is super light, I'm trying a progressive asymmetric neck carve, and I have the Lace Sensor Blue/Silver/Red set wired up to a 10-way Freeway Switch and a TBX.
Image
Can't see from the pic...but this is slightly elongated body, yes?
Years ago. I made myself Performer-ish guitar with 24 fret neck...I see You use standard one;
so I am wondering about the scale...
I tried my best to copy the original shape as closely as possible. I've never seen one in person though, so I worked from photographs. My first set of drawings copied the original 24 fret, 25.5" neck. From there I looked at 24" necks, but the bridge had to move too much. I had just recently made the 25" neck for the the Aria/Dano build above and knew that the heel to saddle distance I had used there would work well again. So this is a 22 fret, 25" neck. As I recall, I only had to move the bridge 1/8" or so.

User avatar
Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 130
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:05 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:29 am

For those that crave the wildly impractical:

Image

Image

Image
Instagram: thetonyballs

User avatar
kifla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 334
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:09 am
Location: Zagreb, Croatia / Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by kifla » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:59 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:53 pm
I tried my best to copy the original shape as closely as possible. I've never seen one in person though, so I worked from photographs. My first set of drawings copied the original 24 fret, 25.5" neck. From there I looked at 24" necks, but the bridge had to move too much. I had just recently made the 25" neck for the the Aria/Dano build above and knew that the heel to saddle distance I had used there would work well again. So this is a 22 fret, 25" neck. As I recall, I only had to move the bridge 1/8" or so.
OK. Thx for the explanation. Recently,I got the urge to make another one of those...thinking of using ready made Allparts neck.
It's a fun guitar!

User avatar
ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 948
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:18 am
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by ThePearDream » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:52 pm

A quick pic for Sean.
Image

Post Reply