Finish question for those of you who've used Reranch products

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Carbohydrates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Finish question for those of you who've used Reranch products

Post by Carbohydrates » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:32 pm

Can I use their neck amber tint to tint a finish? I'd need a "heavier" tint than their regular tinted clearcoat appears to offer seeing as I'd be shooting to change a blue into a green. Could I shoot the blue, then the neck amber, then a clear coat; or does the neck amber have to be sprayed directly onto wood?

lscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Finish question for those of you who've used Reranch products

Post by lscott » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:47 pm

Is the blue just a dye or is it nitro based?

terminalvertigo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by terminalvertigo » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:27 pm

Carbohydrates wrote: Can I use their neck amber tint to tint a finish? I'd need a "heavier" tint than their regular tinted clearcoat appears to offer seeing as I'd be shooting to change a blue into a green. Could I shoot the blue, then the neck amber, then a clear coat; or does the neck amber have to be sprayed directly onto wood?
im pretty sure you can just shoot your color, then the tinted clear tint as your clear coats
GoodDeals:Jaguar018-Skip-Scotty66-Noirengineer-Panoramic-Soundhack-Tribi9-Stereordinary-Dug-Ginnungagap-Loomer-Eupat-FenderBob-Franco-AWSchmit-PeterHerman-TweedleDee-Diceman-Prospect-Danocaster-Glimmertwin-Jetset-Staytuned-ukfuzz-Aen-Atomicmassunit-MT,etc

Carbohydrates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Carbohydrates » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:12 pm

lscott wrote: Is the blue just a dye or is it nitro based?
The blue would be a nitro-based metallic.

Terminal, that I know, but the tinted clear wouldn't be a heavy enough tint to fully change it from blue to green. The neck tint seems to be a more dramatic amber.

terminalvertigo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by terminalvertigo » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:33 am

Carbohydrates wrote:
lscott wrote: Is the blue just a dye or is it nitro based?
The blue would be a nitro-based metallic.

Terminal, that I know, but the tinted clear wouldn't be a heavy enough tint to fully change it from blue to green. The neck tint seems to be a more dramatic amber.
might want to pretint the clear coat more than, but if using re ranch aerosol, that might prove difficult.  :-\
GoodDeals:Jaguar018-Skip-Scotty66-Noirengineer-Panoramic-Soundhack-Tribi9-Stereordinary-Dug-Ginnungagap-Loomer-Eupat-FenderBob-Franco-AWSchmit-PeterHerman-TweedleDee-Diceman-Prospect-Danocaster-Glimmertwin-Jetset-Staytuned-ukfuzz-Aen-Atomicmassunit-MT,etc

lscott
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by lscott » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:31 am

I'm pretty sure shooting the neck amber over the blue won't work.The neck amber is not nitro based and you won't get the melt and flow you'd want.You may want to check out Stewmac.They make a tinted clear coat as well.If you're using a spray gun you could add a little yellow dye to the lacquer.
Last edited by lscott on Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carbohydrates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Carbohydrates » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:42 pm

lscott wrote: I'm preatty sure shooting the neck amber over the blue won't work.The neck amber is not nitro based and you won't get the melt and flow you'd want.You may want to check out Stewmac.They make a tinted clear coat as well.If you're using a spray gun you could add a little yellow dye to the lacquer.
Good to know. Reranch would be aerosol, so no chance of modifying the dye. I do have an airbrush, though, but I'm not too handy with it. Might have to experiment on a scrap of wood (yeah, like I wouldn't do that anyway ;))