Relic Finish Checking

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.

Should I have the Guitar Mill "check/finish weather crack" my black refin JM's finish?

yes
23%
no
77%

Total votes: 13

painted wood
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Relic Finish Checking

Post by painted wood » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:58 am

I thought I'd start a new poll strictly dedicated to the topic of finish checking...

My black refin '62 JM  body was just sprayed last week so it's still curing now...still time to decide on whether or not to have GM "check" it.

I decided to have them polish it out high gloss so that I can wear it in the normal play areas through daily playing/use, and so it will have a nice shine to it in the non wear areas...but I am still undecided on having them check it....

Will it look authentic?  the relic pics on their website look pretty good as far as the checking goes...would this be cool? or will I wish that it was a straight up nice new finish for me to wear authentically over years of playing...I'm now leaning towards no checking, but keep debating it.

please give me your thoughts, thanks

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Re: Relic Finish Checking

Post by fullerplast » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:41 am

You're in Florida, right?

My Sp Jag refin is checking already just from taking it outdoors and in. I think the humidity (and lack thereof) affects it as much as the temp change. Of course, the temp here is not extreme, so theres no worry of the wood cracking or the neck bowing.

Natural checking always looks more realistic.

So it depends on if you wanna wait and let it happen (and maybe help it along)... or "force it". Totally your decision.
Q. Are we not men?

painted wood
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by painted wood » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:28 am

well said  ;) thanks...

wait, let, and help sound much better than force.
I'm sure it'll look more realistic over time too.  8)

kle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kle » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:14 pm

Under that circumstances, i'd just leave it unchecked and wait for natural wear :)