Re: Finishing question

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
jaguuuar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Finishing question

Post by jaguuuar » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:32 pm

Hello, im doing a project and i have a question on the final sanding after the clear is on. i did the headstock first as this is my first finishing experience, and its smaller, so i thought I'd use it as a learning experience. Well i sanded it and the clear got white streaks in it. i sprayed on another coat of clear because i got nervous and i wanted it to look good again. Is the white streaky-ness normal? does buffing get it to go away?

Thank you,
Cody

painted wood
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by painted wood » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:41 pm

Hi,

Use a pink pearl eraser as your sanding block, don't really push down when wetsanding, just massage the lacquer.  You can start wetsanding from 800 to 1200 to 1500 and 2000 if your finish is smooth.  /you can use water to wetsand, but just a little bit.  If you use naptha, wear a full respirator, it's very toxic.

What you are seeing is normal when you begin to wetsand and "flatten" the surface.  Let it dry for a few more days t o a week now that you shot more lacquer over top.  Ideally you should wait 3-4 weeks for the lacquer to cure before wetsanding.

Once you get the surface wetsanded smooth and level,  600 or 800 (it will be dull looking), consistently go up a grade, changing the water or naptha after every grade change to polish the surface and get it to shine.  f you look at the finish on an angle you'll see it starting to reflect better. Alternate directions with each grit change (up/down, lef/ right)  Remember to not push down on the sanding block , only really the weight of your hand.

Good luck...  :)

After you get to 2000 grit, use mequires scratch x and then 3M finesse it II polishing compount and a microfiber towel. 

jaguuuar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jaguuuar » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:23 pm

so buffing would take the white mark go away?

painted wood
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by painted wood » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:40 pm

jaguuuar wrote: so buffing would take the white mark go away?
...wetsand to 2000 grit and polish to get rid of wetsanding dullness...if there is moisture in the finish then what you see is "blush".  In that case, mist on some blush eraser.

I think you need to register for the guitar reranch forum...they can help more.

takes me too much energy.  ;D

jaguuuar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jaguuuar » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:48 pm

well its not dullness, theres like little white marks all over the surface... i did register over at reranch, but im waiting for the admin to activate my account, so i thought id post here too...