Jaguar/Jazzmaster Build, Need Advice

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
jimd
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jaguar/Jazzmaster Build, Need Advice

Post by jimd » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:32 am

I am dying to build an offset guitar.  I am leaning towards the Jag over the JM.  But, I have some questions that may make me go the other way.  I did some searching and it seems like most people say that the Allparts JM body is the best reproduction.  I haven't seen anything  that definitive for a Jag.  Allparts doesn't have a Jag body and I know Warmoth's Jag body is not correct.  Is the USACustoms jag body accurate?  I'd like to go short scale, but if it is going to be a hassle getting things to fit then I'd rather just go with Allparts and build a JM.

Thanks,
Jim

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Re: Jaguar/Jazzmaster Build, Need Advice

Post by fullerplast » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:47 am

Hi Jim - A few observations of the Allparts JM body; the placement of the bridge pickup is slightly off and the body requires slight routing/trimming to enable use with a correct pickguard. Oddly enough, even the Allparts guard will not allow the correct fit. It's pretty easy to enlarge the pickup cavity though, using the pickguard as a template and a dremel to remove the wood.

Secondly, the bridge cup holes are not drilled, but you can use a stock pickguard as a template to locate the holes. As above, this is not a big deal.

Just so you know, the Allparts body is pretty good, but not perfect.

Be aware, the Jag and JM are such different animals... if you really want a Jag, maybe you should make do with the Warmoth.

Edited to add:

Jim, I moved your question to the project section. Also, here's a link to a thread that contains some pictures of what i had to do to an Allparts body to get everything to fit:

index.php?topic=461.0

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

:)
Last edited by fullerplast on Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Are we not men?

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:52 pm

I just wanted to jump in and say that Doug is spot on with the slight alterations that the Allparts Jazzmaster bodies need. I have one here right now which I've had to do the exact same thing to. It isn't a huge deal, but something to keep in mind.

Justin
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

jimd
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jimd » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:41 am

Thanks for all of the info.  I am amazed that they sell these things and with such obvious issues.  I am leaning towards taking my chances with a USA Custom Jag body (shagwire?).  I am probably going to start buying parts after Christmas.  I was hoping to just get the body and start on the finish and buy everything else later.  But, I am thinking I better at least get a pickguard to see if everything lines up before I finish it.

jetset
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jetset » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:59 am

I'm quite happy with my USACG Jazzmaster body.  Only the slight trem route issue which was an easy fix.  Of course what really matters is whether you are trying to use a vintage/stock pickguard.  If you just order the pickguard from USACG (like I did) it will fit.

I would drop Tommy a line - he's pretty responsive about this sort of thing.

Another option is to keep looking for an old Jag in need of restoration.  Messed up Jags are still pretty cheap compared to Jazzmasters and other long-scale fenders.  I found a pawnshop jag that was stripped, humbuckered, and de-plated.  It was fun putting her back to right, and you're gauaranteed that all parts will fit right.  It's good karma too.

-J
I can't hear the forest for all the falling trees.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:07 am

Thanks for all of the info.  I am amazed that they sell these things and with such obvious issues.
Yeah, its strange that the companies don't seem to care when they're notified about discrepancies (the one exception reportedly being USACG).
I was hoping to just get the body and start on the finish and buy everything else later.  But, I am thinking I better at least get a pickguard to see if everything lines up before I finish it
I find it's best on these projects to do all the engineering and assembly first... then diassemble and paint. It saves trying to touch up the finish later, which never turns out as good as the first time.
Q. Are we not men?