Looking for advice/ pros and cons of a treble bleed on a Jazzmaster

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
philh27
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Looking for advice/ pros and cons of a treble bleed on a Jazzmaster

Post by philh27 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:54 pm

..or more accurately a custom built Jazzmaster style guitar.

I’m having a ‘Jazzmaster’ built for me by Oswald Guitars.. specs to suit me but the wiring, pots and pickups will be broadly 62 style. 1k pots/ 50k on the rhythm circuit.

I’m just wondering whether to request the addition of a treble bleed circuit on the main volume pot. I use one in my Duesenberg (as standard) and I love it. It reacts perfectly with my rig and I can get all manner of tones just by riding the volume.

However it sports a P90 and a humbucker, 500k volume, 250k tone pots. It’s not a Jazzmaster!

So, thoughts and advice would be very much appreciated.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Looking for advice/ pros and cons of a treble bleed on a Jazzmaster

Post by alexpigment » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:23 pm

I would say do it, and if you don't like it, you can remove it (you can either desolder it or just snip it out if you don't have soldering experience). The phenomenon of the tone getting darker when turning the volume down is particularly noticeable on 1meg pots, which a standard Jazzmaster will have. On guitars with 250k pots, I usually don't bother with treble bleeds, and instead I use 50s wiring. This unfortunately doesn't work too well on 1meg pots in my experience (the sweep of the knobs gets wonky), so I will usually opt for a treble bleed there.

As for the cons, sometimes your tone can appear too thin when you turn the volume down. This isn't anything inherent to treble bleeds, and more of an indication that you should try a different cap/resistor value for your particular setup.

DrippyReverbTremolo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrippyReverbTremolo » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:21 am

I built a Jazzmaster last year and used a James' Home of Tone prewired harnass. Traditional options (1 meg etc.) but with treble bleed.

Love it. Does exactly what it needs to do. No drawbacks. Rolling down doesn't make the tone thinner. I keep it around 9 or 8, sounds better than 10.

philh27
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by philh27 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:10 am

Thanks guys, that is useful information and advice.

DrippyReverbTremolo, I don’t suppose you know the value of the capacitor in your treble bleed?

Thanks.

DrippyReverbTremolo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrippyReverbTremolo » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:59 am

philh27 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:10 am
Thanks guys, that is useful information and advice.

DrippyReverbTremolo, I don’t suppose you know the value of the capacitor in your treble bleed?

Thanks.
Sorry, it's it listed in my order sheet. But you could ask the vendor, James. He also posted a blog about treble bleed kits:
https://www.homeoftone.co.uk/products/h ... -kit-types

I ordered this harness, and simply select the Treble bleed option.
https://www.homeoftone.co.uk/products/p ... ght-handed