Pull the trussrod plastic plug (JMs, Jags, Strats)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Pull the trussrod plastic plug (JMs, Jags, Strats)

Post by GilmourD » Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:11 am

copacetic wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:06 am
Looking at the original gutternoize instagram post, I see no mention of removing the truss rod plug, and in the comments he basically confirms its a "knockoff" neck with a fender decal applied. Likely never had a truss rod plug to begin with, as many of these necks dont.
I think I've properly highlighted the most important part of the pic with regard to that point.

gerardguey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gerardguey » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:37 pm

GilmourD wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:02 am
Ironically, for the vast bulk of necks like that, it's usually the lower-spec import necks without a plug. Rarely you have a high-end neck like that, although I think that's how Musikraft does it and... Well, nobody in their right mind would call them lower-spec. LOL
I just remembered Suhr does them like that without the plug. For how high-end and revered they are, that headstock shape and no plug makes their guitars look like amazon budget guitars to me (no offense lol). Also the recent JV telecasters from fender had no plug which was really strange and disappointing to me.

The only ones I've seen pull off the no-plug truss rod look are reverend guitars, thanks to shape of the hole thats part of the design.

tequila_in_teacups
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tequila_in_teacups » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:18 pm

CROSS_guitars wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:08 pm
I still associate non-plugged headstocks with cheapo knockoff guitars. Just looks weird having a gaping hole in the headstock without any embellishments.
I think a better option is to paint the headstock the same as the body if you don't like the black plug look.
Absolutely agree – non-plugged truss rod holes make a guitar look cheap and nasty. If it has to be a headstock-access truss, a wood plug is not too shabby, ala the walnut plug on modern style USA Fenders, and even Classic Vibes these days:

I've said it before, a painted headstock with truss access looks shit too. Always looks vaguely unfinished to me, and is susceptible to chipping when you're threading a hex key in their to adjust the rod. :-X

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:30 am

Heh, the Reverend implementation is actually the easiest to achieve of all of those... ;D
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup