Danomaster

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
dbishopbliss
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Danomaster

Post by dbishopbliss » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:00 am

I have a set of 3 lipstick pickups that are as close to vintage as you are going to get. Made with NOS parts from the Neptune factory using the original factory equipment. I also have a NOS bridge plate made by Jerry Jones. Also, I have a 10 position Freeway blade switch that is left over from a project that didn't pan out. I would use it to give me the traditional strat-style selections, but it also allows for running the pickups in series as Danelectro used to do.

Initially, I was thinking about making a DC3 clone or something like that, but I figured why do that when I could buy one for less.

This is what I'm thinking of making... a Danelectro style construction Jazzmaster. The image is photoshop of someone that did something similar, but they used JM pickups and bridge.

Here's my question... would I miss having the contours on the body? Anyone have a flattop Jazzmaster/Jaguar that can weigh in?

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Danomaster

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:24 am

Hey there dbishopbliss!

Nice project!
I plan to build a Jaguar with Lipstick Pickups for quite some time (but happened to find a Dead on 67 - but the plan is still on. Just delayed!) - I have a Double Bound Jazzmaster and a Double Bound Thinline Jaguar - both with no contours - and while may be slightly less comfortable to play for some - it absolutely doesn‘t bother me at all. It also looks amazing with the binding! See mine and many others here!

Do you plan to make it even more Danelectro-ish (plywood top and bottom and hole on the inside)? Or will you make it a solidbody?

dbishopbliss
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dbishopbliss » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:36 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:24 am
Do you plan to make it even more Danelectro-ish (plywood top and bottom and hole on the inside)? Or will you make it a solidbody?
I am planning on the hollow Dano construction with the masonite top and bottom. I might do a hybrid where I have the body contours on the back and have the flat top. Binding would be cool, but I have never done it and not sure how it would work with the masonite.

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:39 am

I have a semihollow JM, that has a flat top. It is a little annoying for aggressive strumming. But for everything else, I don’t even notice. JMs have a more extreme roundover than say a tele, so it is definitely more comfy than flat top teles to me.

dbishopbliss
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dbishopbliss » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:25 am

CorporateDisguise wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:39 am
I have a semihollow JM, that has a flat top. It is a little annoying for aggressive strumming. But for everything else, I don’t even notice. JMs have a more extreme roundover than say a tele, so it is definitely more comfy than flat top teles to me.
If I made this using Danoelectro style construction it would be less round-over than a tele I think. I guess if I hate it I can always make a traditional JM body.