DIY Mahogany bodyJazzmaster project- DONE!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: DIY Mahogany bodyJazzmaster project- DONE!

Post by windmill » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:33 am

Excellent work

It looks really good !

:)

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: DIY Mahogany bodyJazzmaster project DONE!

Post by Mondaysoutar » Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:13 pm

ohm-men wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:46 am
I finaly got arround finishing this one!

I made a few changes as I aquired a very cheap Squier 40th anniversary Jazzmaster .
Body and pickguard were rattle can spayed over after the attacking the body with 80# gritt sandpaper.... :fp:
But luckily the rest of the guitar was in pretty good shape.

I just got the guitar as it was much cheaper buying a used B&B neck. I decided to transplant all the Squier parts onto the mahogany body.
After puting clear on the body I realised how nice the wood looked. I just could't get myself to cover it up.
The figuring of the wood is really nice imho. It also reflects differently is the light changes.
I opted for a high gloss, bit tacky perhaps, but it kind of looks "posh" now :D

Now I ended up with a pretty sleek Jm in my humble opinion. Very 70's, I think the gold hardware from the Squier works with the mahogany body.
It first I found it looked over the top, but after a few days it kind of grew on me.
Normally I can't stand gold hardware, but on this one, I guess it works. Reminds me a bit of a "yacht" or "80's furniture" kind of look.

I have to say the Squier B&B neck is really nice. I even managed to set up the trem up to a point it works quiet well, stays in tune and doens't make metallic clicking sounds when using it. Also to my surprise, the gold guard and the stock squier pu's work really well with the mahogany body.
It has these "glassy" Jazzmaster sounds. Also the rythem circuit sounds kind of lush...
It's strange how different it sounds with the mahogany body vs the stock Squier poplar body.

Gonna keep the Fender neck and the Pickup Wizzard set for another project.

Anyway, enough talk...Time for some pics!

Looks great man, well played. Side note, what strings are you using here?

Futuraforthewin
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Futuraforthewin » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:35 am

That turned out beautifully! What a classy looking guitar!

That wood has so much character.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Re: DIY Mahogany bodyJazzmaster project DONE!

Post by ohm-men » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:58 am

Mondaysoutar wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:13 pm
Looks great man, well played. Side note, what strings are you using here?
Thanks for the nice comments!

Those are medium Pyramid "Superior Quality" pure nickel Hand wound strings. 0.11 - 0.48 (Green packaging)

I bough a bunch of them a few years ago. They are very nice for Jazzmaster's and Jaguar's because the string ends are silk wrapped just over the trem screws that keep the knife plate in place. The give that vintage roundwound sound and that last quiet long.

I usually get those from Thoman.de

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Post by ohm-men » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:03 am

Futuraforthewin wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:35 am
That turned out beautifully! What a classy looking guitar!

That wood has so much character.
Thanks !

I would normally never go with gold hardware, but this wood has so much going on that it quiet suits it.
I'm currently refinishing the original Squier 40th anniversary body in oly white for another project.
I'm currently experimenting with a bunch of Montana spray cans on various projects.

But I'm gonna keep the mahogany Jm like it is as it's really a great playing instrument.

Futuraforthewin
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Futuraforthewin » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:21 am

Yes normally gold JM hardware doesn't appeal but it works beautifully here. It's so well thought-out.

The pattern in the mahogany you highlighted is fascinating, I would look at this guitar all day.