Eyguitar pickups - Eric Custom Pickupss

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
theremintheme
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Eyguitar pickups - Eric Custom Pickupss

Post by theremintheme » Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:29 am

I'd like to hear from you who have bought from this seller.

They are on ebay and also have their own website. Seem to have been going for about 10 years or so but I only became aware of them recently.

They seem to make many types of pickups that only expensive boutique makers seem to make otherwise.

But are they just nice looking outwardly, and internally sound kind of meh, or are they actually good?

I know brands like Tonerider, Iron Gear, Warman, Entwistle and OriPure have a rumour about them to perform above their price. With Tonerider I can confirm that is true as I have used their Vintage Plus Telecaster set and the Alnico II Classic humbucker set and both of them sound truly great to my ears.

So I'm interested to see if Eypickups / Eric Custom also do.

Biloxide
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Eyguitar pickups - Eric Custom Pickupss

Post by Biloxide » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:11 am

Hi,
I have to sets of this manufacturer one is jazzmaster and jaguar, i'm on to two budget/cheapo guitar project. All i can say, they are very well made with quality covers, the output is a little more than indicate but not too much. They are not soldering at the moment and i can't say anything on the overall sounding and feeling.
People buying them are surprised and satisfied how well they sound for the price in reviews...
Bye.

theremintheme
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by theremintheme » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:15 am

Salut and merci for your reply!

I have also seen some very positive reviews on their website, but I am always a little skeptical of those, since it is pretty easy to game that system (using friends or giving somebody something to post a nice review, for example).

But I am curious and keen to try a set of Eric Custom Jaguar pickups - and a few others like their Wide Range looking ones, IF somebody who actually has tried them recommends them.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:55 am

theremintheme wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:15 am
But I am curious and keen to try a set of Eric Custom Jaguar pickups - and a few others like their Wide Range looking ones, IF somebody who actually has tried them recommends them.
The WRHB JM pickups have a review with sound samples up on Reddit. I ordered a pair but haven't received them yet.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

theremintheme
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by theremintheme » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:54 am

Embenny wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:55 am
theremintheme wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:15 am
The WRHB JM pickups have a review with sound samples up on Reddit. I ordered a pair but haven't received them yet.
Great lead there, with several sound samples even, with and without dirt as well as with effects in a mix - couldn't ask for more - thanks a lot for that!

Possibly the guitar I'm building will get one of these WRHB clones in the bridge and a Jag pickup in the neck....

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:28 am

I‘m really curious about them too.
Especially about the Jag-90s… but how could this be that there is no review out there…
They are ceramic magnet which I don‘t know how they would sound… but for the price (50€ each) this should be worth a try!

Guitarman59
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Guitarman59 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:06 pm

I purchase a set of their wide range Jazz Master pickups and installed them this week.
Very happy with the results.The guitar that I installed them into sounded great in the middle position and I was happy with the neck and bridge tone but the noise made me grab a Firebird , Tele ,strat ,DiPinto to take to a gig.
No more noise…a little hotter than the stock single coils but I can stand anywhere near my amp and there isn't that hum .And they were only $38.00 each for the bridge and neck.I just ordered the P90 humbuckers today for a great playing but noisy Mosrite copy.On sale for around $25.00 each

theremintheme
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by theremintheme » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:05 am

Embenny wrote:
Hi again. By now I suspect you must have received them. Have you tried them out yet and if so what do you think?

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:15 am

Unfortunately member embenny recently quit the forum permanently :(

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:21 am

theremintheme wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:05 am
Embenny wrote:
Hi again. By now I suspect you must have received them. Have you tried them out yet and if so what do you think?
I forget whether Embenny was getting the version with the adjustable poles or the solid AlNiCo rod magnet poles... But I have the AlNiCo rod magnet version and love them!

I was actually sitting for a couple hours at my desk last night playing my Enterprise Jazzmaster (Olympic white Partsmaster made with a Classic Vibe body and neck that I bought separately, AllParts trem with lock, black anodized aluminum EYGuitar guard with a Star Trek movie version Enterprise decal I "printed" on my friend's Cricut, Staytrem first generation bridge, and those pickups).

They're definitely humbuckers but they're brighter than standard, but that's beyond the 1Meg pots I'm using with them. Even the rhythm circuit still has some cut to it. The bridge pickup is less nasal-sounding than the stock Classic Vibe bridge pickup and the neck is a bit darker/mellower than the (absolutely delightful) Classic Vibe neck pickup.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:23 am

MattK wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:15 am
Unfortunately member embenny recently quit the forum permanently :(
I hope that the "permanently" part changes...

theremintheme
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by theremintheme » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:42 am

GilmourD wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:21 am
theremintheme wrote:
Embenny wrote:
I forget whether Embenny was getting the version with the adjustable poles or the solid AlNiCo rod magnet poles... But I have the AlNiCo rod magnet version and love them!

I was actually sitting for a couple hours at my desk last night playing my Enterprise Jazzmaster (Olympic white Partsmaster made with a Classic Vibe body and neck that I bought separately, AllParts trem with lock, black anodized aluminum EYGuitar guard with a Star Trek movie version Enterprise decal I "printed" on my friend's Cricut, Staytrem first generation bridge, and those pickups).

They're definitely humbuckers but they're brighter than standard, but that's beyond the 1Meg pots I'm using with them. Even the rhythm circuit still has some cut to it. The bridge pickup is less nasal-sounding than the stock Classic Vibe bridge pickup and the neck is a bit darker/mellower than the (absolutely delightful) Classic Vibe neck pickup.

:w00t: That's a stunning guitar, that is. And mucho thanks for the pickup review. I have nothing against bright pickups personally, much rather bright ones that can easily be tamed by rolling off the volume, than muffled ones that require a pot change.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:47 am

theremintheme wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:42 am
GilmourD wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:21 am
theremintheme wrote:

:w00t: That's a stunning guitar, that is. And mucho thanks for the pickup review. I have nothing against bright pickups personally, much rather bright ones that can easily be tamed by rolling off the volume, than muffled ones that require a pot change.
Yeah, the nice thing with offsets is how easy it is to get pickguards off to do electronics changes without killing a set of strings, too, even if you do swap pots.

mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcbrandt » Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:26 am

I have a set of the WRHB that I installed a few weeks ago in my jazzmaster. I would echo most people's statements that they sound really good for the money. I like the sound of the neck pickup and I use only that 80% of the time, however I do find the bridge pickup really quiet and overly trebly compared to my Novak JM-HC that I had in previously. I am using 500k pots. Yes the pups cut out hum cause they're humbuckers, but they didn't really cut out much of the extraneous noise like picks hitting the pickup cover/pickguard or fingers on strings, which was my main superficial gripe with the Novaks and why I might just put those back in considering the Eys don't really do a better job of it.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:30 am

mcbrandt wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:26 am
I have a set of the WRHB that I installed a few weeks ago in my jazzmaster. I would echo most people's statements that they sound really good for the money. I like the sound of the neck pickup and I use only that 80% of the time, however I do find the bridge pickup really quiet and overly trebly compared to my Novak JM-HC that I had in previously. I am using 500k pots. Yes the pups cut out hum cause they're humbuckers, but they didn't really cut out much of the extraneous noise like picks hitting the pickup cover/pickguard or fingers on strings, which was my main superficial gripe with the Novaks and why I might just put those back in considering the Eys don't really do a better job of it.
Well, honestly, I don't think any pickup is going to really get rid of noise like that completely unless you can 100% eliminate any vibration of the pickup or the strings. If you tap the pickguard or the pickup you're causing the pickup to vibrate in relation to the strings, which will disturb the magnetic field of the pickups and induce a current. Same with your fingers on the strings.

That's just how pickups work.