Eyguitar pickups - Eric Custom Pickupss

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
mcbrandt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Eyguitar pickups - Eric Custom Pickupss

Post by mcbrandt » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:50 am

GilmourD wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:30 am
mcbrandt wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 8:26 am
I have a set of the WRHB that I installed a few weeks ago in my jazzmaster. I would echo most people's statements that they sound really good for the money. I like the sound of the neck pickup and I use only that 80% of the time, however I do find the bridge pickup really quiet and overly trebly compared to my Novak JM-HC that I had in previously. I am using 500k pots. Yes the pups cut out hum cause they're humbuckers, but they didn't really cut out much of the extraneous noise like picks hitting the pickup cover/pickguard or fingers on strings, which was my main superficial gripe with the Novaks and why I might just put those back in considering the Eys don't really do a better job of it.
Well, honestly, I don't think any pickup is going to really get rid of noise like that completely unless you can 100% eliminate any vibration of the pickup or the strings. If you tap the pickguard or the pickup you're causing the pickup to vibrate in relation to the strings, which will disturb the magnetic field of the pickups and induce a current. Same with your fingers on the strings.

That's just how pickups work.
Yeah, I realize my complaint is pretty superficial. I only have two electrics. My other is an Epiphone ES-335 and Inoticed that one doesn't seem to pick up the same amount of 'noise' as any of the pups I try in my jazzmaster. Perhaps the metal casing on those humbuckers has something to do with it? I dunno, I'm not a super privy wiring/electronics person or anything.

gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Eyguitar pickups - Eric Custom Pickupss

Post by gibs » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:34 pm

I’m waiting on a body for a build I’m attempting, and the pickups I’m using are still an up in the air item. Currently leaning towards a cheap set of those staple p90s that gretsch has been using in the streamliner series as you can find a number of sets on eBay for $50 or less and I really loved the sound of them (they’re not true staples, but they do have some high end content that you don’t normally get from a p90, like a blend of p90 and JM tonally, but not as trebly as say, the demos I’ve heard of lollar staples, which do use real rectangular slug magnets).

The other wacky idea I’ve had, was getting a set of Eric jag p90s and regular Eric jags and wiring the appropriate set in series with coil splits for some really crazy sound possibilities. Probably do coil selector for each pickup so I can get true jag, and then psuedo p90 tones in one guitar. But not sure how well it’d work, as I’d imagine the bridge pickups are the same polarity and wound the same direction. Might have to look into I could make my own humbucker from 2 single coils.