Using Non-Specific Repro Decals When Refinishing a Guitar

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Using Non-Specific Repro Decals When Refinishing a Guitar

Post by Surfysonic » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:31 am

I love matching headstocks. When refinishing a guitar, have you ever used a different brand logo? For example, either a Fender repro decal over a Squier guitar or your own "brand" name over a Fender or Squier full or parts build guitar?

In my own home DIY refinish projects, I would gladly use Squier repro logos but I hadn't been able to locate a Squier logo repro decal seller so I used what was available - Fender repro decals. I dislike non-logo headstocks. :derp:

However, if I ever had to sell/trade-in these project guitars, I always fully disclose that the guitars are Squier guitars, not the higher priced Fender version and never try to sell for the higher version (i.e., Fender) price. Also, I never switch out the Squier neck plates for Fender ones. I absolutely agree it's not a perfect solution, but I do provide full transparency.

Are there any decent Squier repro decal makers now? I'll gladly use them in the future.

If it was necessary to refinish a vintage Fender, first and foremost, I'd take it to someone with pro-level refinish skills. I'm just a rattle-can DIY guy with varied results :-[ . For vintage guitars, I'd never request a matching headstock as that feels wrong to cover over the original decal. Maybe unless the original logo was completely removed by a previous owner.
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

glennleaguesny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Using Non-Specific Repro Decals When Refinishing a Guitar

Post by glennleaguesny » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:43 am

Surfysonic wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:31 am
I love matching headstocks. When refinishing a guitar, have you ever used a different brand logo? For example, either a Fender repro decal over a Squier guitar or your own "brand" name over a Fender or Squier full or parts build guitar?

In my own home DIY refinish projects, I would gladly use Squier repro logos but I hadn't been able to locate a Squier logo repro decal seller so I used what was available - Fender repro decals. I dislike non-logo headstocks. :derp:

However, if I ever had to sell/trade-in these project guitars, I always fully disclose that the guitars are Squier guitars, not the higher priced Fender version and never try to sell for the higher version (i.e., Fender) price. Also, I never switch out the Squier neck plates for Fender ones. I absolutely agree it's not a perfect solution, but I do provide full transparency.

Are there any decent Squier repro decal makers now? I'll gladly use them in the future.

If it was necessary to refinish a vintage Fender, first and foremost, I'd take it to someone with pro-level refinish skills. I'm just a rattle-can DIY guy with varied results :-[ . For vintage guitars, I'd never request a matching headstock as that feels wrong to cover over the original decal. Maybe unless the original logo was completely removed by a previous owner.
I'm in the same boat as you! I've only used Fender decals because I haven't found Squier decals that are high quality. I'll be following this thread to see if any one has a source for them. I'd also like any one to speak up that makes custom decals where I could design my own logo or something in the case of a full parts guitar. Great post

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:13 am

Thanks! :)

Just bringing this conversation over here from Axoloti's "Pimped my VI final steps..." thread:

I think those putting their own logos on a fully stock or parts-build Fender (or Squier) guitar with no intention of selling it is a non-issue.

Is it legitimate to sell a fully stocked or parts-build Fender (or Squier) guitar (as examples), using their own logo after a refinish (or not even a refinish)?

Having had a think on it, I think I won't be selling my Squier guitars with Fender repro decals in the future. If I have to move them on, I'll donate them to kids. Only have 2 anyhoo - my Squier J Mascis Signature Jazzmaster and my Squier Paranormal Cyclone - they're keepers.

No regrets on the cyclone cartoon character!! :ph34r:

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:27 am

My opinion is that a Fender decal should only go on a guitar that came from the factory with one. If you refinish a Fender, by all means put another Fender one on it. For me a Squier should only ever get another Squier one or be left blank after a refin. I've done it once with a Starcaster where I used a B&B neck I had from a previous JM build and had a spare Fender decal lying around and I was trying to build a 'what if Fender did them like this' imaginary prototype type thing. When I sold it I put the old neck back on and reversed all the changes back to stock.

As for parts guitars, it gets more complicated... if the neck already has a Fender logo (as it left the factory) then just leave it there. If it's a parts guitar with a Licensed By Fender (like Allparts) neck, only 'Fender' it if it's going on as a replacement for a damaged/missing/etc neck on an actual Fender.

But, rules are just made up anyway, do what makes you happy. If you're not going to sell it I couldn't care really.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:35 am

Neither of my main guitars have decals, I don't see the big deal with bothering putting a decal on. Maybe I'm the weirdo.
But Squiers getting a Fender logo will eventually mislead someone down the line, intentional or not. Unless you remove the logos before selling them. I find it tacky, like someone driving around on a fast looking bike with a learner plate.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:45 am

garyptaszek wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:35 am
like someone driving around on a fast looking bike with a learner plate.
Remember those chrome "TURBO" badges lads would put on their Vauxhall Corsas or whatever back in the day to make them fake 'go faster'? That's what this is :D

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:49 am

JSett wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:45 am
garyptaszek wrote:
Remember those chrome "TURBO" badges lads would put on their Vauxhall Corsas or whatever back in the day to make them fake 'go faster'? That's what this is :D
don't forget the Starlett Turbo

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:55 am

garyptaszek wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:49 am
JSett wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:45 am
garyptaszek wrote:
don't forget the Starlett Turbo
I had one! In that faded red/pink colour. I actually had to peel off the fake TURBO badge.

Blew it up in about 7 months, drained the fresh tank of petrol (as it was worth more than the car was scrap) and weighed it in :D

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:27 pm

Thanks for your input guys. 8)

What about Fender or Squier parts/full build guitars that are rebranded with non-Fender/Squier logos that are then sold? I get it's less problematic (maybe?) if simply selling your "rebranded" Fender/Squier guitars on message boards, but what about when put out in larger markets like Reverb or eBay?

Does Reverb and/or eBay have restrictions to this or is it simply an accepted/ignored thing?

I think I've maybe listed my tacky Fender repro decal'd Squiers only on OSG or used them as trade-in bait at a local used guitar shop. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhQ5678 ... hQ5678cJU8

I guess I'm curious about copyright infringement - where is the line drawn and how to avoid stepping over it. :derp:

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:45 pm

Surfysonic wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:27 pm

I guess I'm curious about copyright infringement - where is the line drawn and how to avoid stepping over it. :derp:
I suspect putting any repro decal on a guitar when the decal isn’t supplied by the manufacturer (i.e. getting a Fender decal from Fender) is technically copyright infringement, not least on the part of the decal maker. However, if the guitar headstock matches what it actually is, it hardly seems unethical to me.

It seems to me that the ethical issue is around resale - I have a Tele partscaster (made with very high quality parts) that I put a Fender decal on because I like the look. The decal is on top of the lacquer (it is an early 60s homage), and should I ever want to move it on, I’ll lift it off. I also put a transfer on the back with my initials and the date on to remind me and anyone else I lend it to that it is a (nice) Corsa with a turbo badge.

We have complete control on whether we sell our guitars or not - if we do, then selling one thing badged as another is dodgy.

On the other hand, I have no problem whatsoever with someone making their own logo and putting it on something they have put together - I have done that (I often don’t like the look of blank headstocks) - that doesn’t seem deceitful to me.
All the cheeses....

tequila_in_teacups
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tequila_in_teacups » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:01 pm

Whatever you do, please don’t commit the travesty of using Brush Script :k

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:20 pm

tequila_in_teacups wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:01 pm
+1

You may as well use comic sans

SignoftheDragon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SignoftheDragon » Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:38 pm

CROSS_guitars wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:20 pm
tequila_in_teacups wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:01 pm
+1

You may as well use comic sans
+ INFINITY.

You may as well use Papyrus.

tammyw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tammyw » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:22 pm

As much as I like comic sans, I think logos should be drawn by hand rather than using a common off the shelf typeface. Also Fender decals for anything other than a restoration is lame. Once it's modified or refinished in a non-original color, there's no reason to bother putting on a Fender decal, in my opinion.
All pain and troubles melted away like lemon drops beyond the contrails across the sky.

garyptaszek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyptaszek » Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:18 am

tammyw wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:22 pm
As much as I like comic sans, I think logos should be drawn by hand rather than using a common off the shelf typeface. Also Fender decals for anything other than a restoration is lame. Once it's modified or refinished in a non-original color, there's no reason to bother putting on a Fender decal, in my opinion.
+1