Surf Lady 2 hand-wound pickups by Tone Hatch (audio demo included)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
rivir
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Surf Lady 2 hand-wound pickups by Tone Hatch (audio demo included)

Post by rivir » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:38 pm

A few weeks ago I ordered the Surf Lady 2 pickups from Tone Hatch. They were called the Vintage Class A2-58 at the time (I like the old name better, heh). Anyhow, when I was trying to decide what to order I couldn't find any sound samples, but went with this particular pickup upon advice from Adam (Asmus, the winder).

I had read good things about his other pickups (and liked what I heard in some demo videos of the Strat pickups), and the price is very modest compared to most anywhere else. I did get hit with $25 extra charges when it arrived in Canada, so that kinda sucked, but what can you do? Still worth it, IMO.

I installed them today and made a little demo video in case it helps anyone else out. (Sorry for how crappy the playing is, and how little variation there is, but I use the bridge 95% of the time in real life.)

https://youtu.be/OmQC7A5kRao

Here are some comparison pics. You can see the Japanese Fender pickups are quite a lot taller, and wound nowhere near the edge, whereas the Tone Hatch are shorter and wound right to the edge.