WHY BUY DECENT WOOD? down w/ pickguards

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
mindwave
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

WHY BUY DECENT WOOD? down w/ pickguards

Post by mindwave » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:52 am

Anyone else think its downright silly to hunt and scrape then sell a kidney to buy the greatest piece of "tonewood" with 19A figuring only to carve out 60% of it to the cover with a 99ct piece of plastic?

Every now and then a builder comes up with someything cool and figures out right away MOTS will ruin this guitar and finds a way to backroute or cap it (Im looking at you PRS), and every now and then the 2 or 3 majors figure it out then immediaely kill the deal!
Here's 2 examples + a kit where someone said "hey that theres a might purty log, lets not cover it up!"

Or it could just be me!
Im picking on exploerers because im building one now and in my area the only thing you can do is look online or climb through dozens of "reclaimed" shops to find an oak barn timber from 1743, and I dont want to cover it with plastic! But Firebirds are JUST as guilty....

First is this gibby xpl, that ove never heard of, but it looks like my first "second time around" guitar the Epi Evolution:
Gibby XPL

Then we have the ever loved and getting more expensive by the day Ibanez destroyer:

DESTROYER

and finally a PANGO kit that had I know existed I may have bought and just lay a veneer on it:

KIT

and again if I have offended or broken a rule with the links i apologize, just really curious because there is some HUGE talent in here (self not included)

J

shoegaze_head
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: WHY BUY DECENT WOOD? down w/ pickguards

Post by shoegaze_head » Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:46 am

You're not alone. I feel like its pretty silly to care that much about the wood the guitar is made out of when so many other things affect the tone more, especially if the grain is going to be covered up by a coat of paint. With that kit I think they left the grain though was more so whoever buys it can put whatever finish they want on, like you I probably would have let the wood show through.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:35 am

Sort of a weird quibble to have on a site largely dedicated to offsets, which for the most part, have always had big honking pickguards on them. :mellow:

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:18 pm

Jaguar018 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:35 am
Sort of a weird quibble to have on a site largely dedicated to offsets, which for the most part, have always had big honking pickguards on them. :mellow:
And, usually, hidden wood grain. Very few of the traditional Fender Offset colours show off any grain at all.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.