Gotoh Tune-O-Matic on a Squier Mustang (Kurt Cobain Mod)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
davewire
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Gotoh Tune-O-Matic on a Squier Mustang (Kurt Cobain Mod)

Post by davewire » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:18 am

AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:14 am
Just because Kurt put TOMs on his guitars doesn't mean it was a good idea or that it was practical
I don't understand why people say that installing a TOM on a mustang is a bad idea, if it's done well and adjusted well it rocks! I'm super happy with my modification, my mustang remains well tuned, I find that it has a lot more punch and that flashy sound that I was looking for like in Cobain's cleans! You can look at my link above in my previous post, there are lots of photos and all the necessary explanations!
Mustang & Nirvana Lover !
Youtube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/@DaveWire

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:36 am

Nobody said it was a bad idea, per se. Just it’s kind of pointless. A Mustang bridge functions just fine. I’ve owned several Mustangs, and currently have two.
I’ve never wanted to change a bridge out on them. Absolutely no need to. The rocking feature is also hardly an issue on a Mustang, due to the break angle. Again, an easy fix with some tape.
I’m sure someone mentioned it already, but a TOM has a 12” radius and a Mustang has either 7.25” or 9.5”

I understand you’re a Nirvana fan, and maybe that’s why you want to do it, which is OK, but I’ll say it again.. it’s pointless.
Your guitar won’t play better, in fact with the mismatched radius, it’s likely to play worse.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:26 am

davewire wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:18 am
AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:14 am
Just because Kurt put TOMs on his guitars doesn't mean it was a good idea or that it was practical
I don't understand why people say that installing a TOM on a mustang is a bad idea, if it's done well and adjusted well it rocks! I'm super happy with my modification, my mustang remains well tuned, I find that it has a lot more punch and that flashy sound that I was looking for like in Cobain's cleans! You can look at my link above in my previous post, there are lots of photos and all the necessary explanations!
I've never saw the need to swap a bridge out on an offset. The rocking bridges are great and work exactly how they are meant to if set up properly. I can understand wanting to keep the bridge from rocking but there are easier ways to do that. I've never saw the point of putting a TOM on an offset. To me, it's always seemed like a pointless mod and most often done just because Kurt's guitars had them. I absolutely understand paying tribute to one of your favorite guitar plays and influences. We all do that, whether it's Kurt or anyone else. But it's sort of one of those mods that is a solution to a problem that really doesn't exist, especially in a Mustang. Top that with a mismatched radius, it's sort of a recipe for disaster. Sure, you can shim the neck to make up some of that difference, but the TOM mod is just adding more work to the instrument. Like I said, it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist and creates more problems.

Absolutely no disrespect to anyone that likes the TOM on their offsets. To each their own. I just don't find it necessary.