The official Kinman pickups thread

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
atomicwash
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: The official Kinman pickups thread

Post by atomicwash » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:11 pm

Embenny wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:53 am
atomicwash wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:09 am
Has anyone compared the surf-jag to the mod-jag (previously blues-jag)? Differences? Thanks!
I've got Surf Jags coming in the mail, so I'll hopefully be able to help in a few weeks.
Have the Surf Jags arrived?

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:39 pm

atomicwash wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:11 pm
Embenny wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:53 am
atomicwash wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:09 am
Has anyone compared the surf-jag to the mod-jag (previously blues-jag)? Differences? Thanks!
I've got Surf Jags coming in the mail, so I'll hopefully be able to help in a few weeks.
Have the Surf Jags arrived?
Nope, I've been warned that Royal Mail had a bit of a FUBAR situation with their sitting facility and that I shouldn't hold my breath.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

wooderson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wooderson » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:57 pm

Ozone7 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:21 am
Only drag now is that the 1M pots roll the volume and tone off really sharply off the full setting, which the 250 pots didn't (and none of my other guitars do). So I'm slightly scratching my head as to why that should be as they're audio/log pots from Fender.
Someone has posted charts of the resonant peaks with different pots and how the tapers work, I don't know where but that sharp rolloff is just how 1 meg pots work.

My solution is to just live on ~8 or so (volume and tone), amps and pedals are set up from there so any adjustments down are smoother but it can also be spiked up if necessary.

JackFawkes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JackFawkes » Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:27 am

wooderson wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:57 pm
Someone has posted charts of the resonant peaks with different pots and how the tapers work, I don't know where but that sharp rolloff is just how 1 meg pots work.
Not sure if this is the information that you were referring to, but I've found it a pretty useful illustration of the resonant peak effects of different potentiometer values: Pot values (including 'No-load' pots)

Jack

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:46 am

Does anyone have a schematic for the Fatmaster JM pickups? I've got Rothstein making me a loaded pickguard and they're confused why there are 3 wires on the Kinmans. Unfortunately it looks like the Kinman site was attacked again and I haven't been able to get in touch with him.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:49 am

Rothstein is stymied by a 3-wire pickup?

It's coil start, coil end, and shield, like any other 3-conductor pickup.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:52 am

Andy called me and said they could take their best guess but the color coding didn’t match on the pickups and they wanted to make sure they got it right.

From what I can tell on the Kinman spec sheet, the 3rd wire is for phase.

UPDATE: The Reverb shop I bought the Kinmans from supplied me with full instructions and a schematic.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:50 pm

Telliot wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:52 am
From what I can tell on the Kinman spec sheet, the 3rd wire is for phase.
That's just another way of saying that the third wire is the shielding. An independent shielding lead is needed for phase reverse or series wiring, because those two things involve moving one or both of the coil start/coil finish leads without wanting the shielding in the signal path.

A 2-conductor lead on a shielded pickup ties the shield to the coil start, which makes phase reverse and series impossible without sticking the shield in the signal path (which is noisy and...bad). Some vintage style covered humbuckers come that way.

I'm glad they got the schematic, though.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:31 pm

So I put everything back together last night and realized the pickups are a lot taller, and trying to get them to fit into my vintage pickguard suuucked. What are you guys using for foam with the JM variants?

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:41 pm

Telliot wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:31 pm
So I put everything back together last night and realized the pickups are a lot taller, and trying to get them to fit into my vintage pickguard suuucked. What are you guys using for foam with the JM variants?
Don't use foam, use the little orange bits of tube he supplies (there's two sizes, the longer ones are for the bridge pickup).

I made the mistake of using foam on the first install and had the same issue. Removing all foam and using just the orange tubes on each screw worked a charm.
Last edited by JSett on Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

NICQ
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NICQ » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:41 pm

I used the rubber tube spacers that came with the pickups
They explizitly recommend using those instead of foam in the instructions on their site :)

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:48 pm

NICQ wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:41 pm
I used the rubber tube spacers that came with the pickups
They explizitly recommend using those instead of foam in the instructions on their site :)
Oh thanks for pointing that out! I had Rothstein make a new wired pickguard for me and didn't realize those were in the box.

Atilla the Hum
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Atilla the Hum » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:47 pm

G'day fellas, Chris Kinman here. I've become aware that some don't care for the names Punk-Tang and Grunge-Tank for my Mustang pickups. When I came up with those names I wanted to link the musical genre with the type of pickup and it seemed a no brainer, especially when I just couldn't think of anything else that satisfied the brief for naming protocol. After all it worked for my Jazzmaster models but I do admit that Punk-Tang sounded somewhat ... er ... cringeworthy!!! So here I am asking for suggestions from all you nice people who said otherwise nice things about my pickups as well as those who criticized the present names.

The brief is to link the musical genre with the type of pickup and not be cringe-worthy. Alternately just a name that bears a loose association with Punk and (or not) Mustang. If I like your suggestion and I adopt it I'll give you a nice discount on any Kinman product you fancy.

So let's hear your suggestions. CK

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:22 am

Atilla the Hum wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:47 pm
G'day fellas, Chris Kinman here. I've become aware that some don't care for the names Punk-Tang and Grunge-Tank for my Mustang pickups. When I came up with those names I wanted to link the musical genre with the type of pickup and it seemed a no brainer, especially when I just couldn't think of anything else that satisfied the brief for naming protocol. After all it worked for my Jazzmaster models but I do admit that Punk-Tang sounded somewhat ... er ... cringeworthy!!! So here I am asking for suggestions from all you nice people who said otherwise nice things about my pickups as well as those who criticized the present names.

The brief is to link the musical genre with the type of pickup and not be cringe-worthy. Alternately just a name that bears a loose association with Punk and (or not) Mustang. If I like your suggestion and I adopt it I'll give you a nice discount on any Kinman product you fancy.

So let's hear your suggestions. CK
Hi Chris! Glad to see you make it into here. You have some big fans around these parts (myself included).

Massive fan of your Jazzmaster and Jaguar pickups as I've used/use these every day. I don't find the names cringy particularly, so I say crack on mate.

One thing that would be helpful is some kind of measurement of the pickups outputs on your website as, when shopping for Jazzmaster pickups, I was trying to make sure I stayed in the realm of 7-8.5k output to match closely to original specs and your descriptions were ambiguous when it came to determining which was best. Thankfully there was a couple of members here that had owned a few and could direct me correctly. Your range is so expansive (a good thing) that narrowing the options down easier with extra specs would be handy.

I do need to order a Telecaster bridge pickup and some kind of P90 from you this year. The Telecaster one needs to be around the equivalent of 6k (2.8 Henries) for a mid 60's T sound...can you advise which would be best?

Thanks

Johnny
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

BoringPostcards
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BoringPostcards » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:52 am

I don’t have anything to add, besides welcome to OSG!
Atilla the hum is a great username. I LOL’d pretty hard.
Det er mig der holder traeerne sammen.