Mustang wiring options - selector switch etc

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
andrew00
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Mustang wiring options - selector switch etc

Post by andrew00 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:31 am

Heya,

I'm in the process of building a leftie Mustang, having fallen in love with my Jagstang but wanting to remake it in my image.

Currently, my plan is to make this a SS Mustang, and as it stands with the traditional set of switches above the pickups.

However, I'm looking into various mods to try to make the guitar more easy to use, especially switching pickups and in/out of phase.

Has anyone done something like this - added a 3 way toggle switch for the pickups (neck, both, bridge) and then either used the regular switches for in/out of phase?

I'm learning about Mustang 5 switching, which seems to do this to a degree, but I'm not seeing anything specifically with a toggle switch as that's really useful in my strat.

I presume if you have a In/Out/Dark switch, then if you switch to the 'both' setup then it's just either in or out of phase in that config, but in either the neck/bridge then its that individual pickup as normal?

If the above, using a toggle, what could then be done for the second of the two switched above the pickup?

Basically, I'm a bit lost on what is pre-trodden ground, so would appreciate some navigation, thank you!

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mustang wiring options - selector switch etc

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:57 pm

Honestly, the easiest way for you to get all three positions and out of phase would be to wire it up to a three way toggle switch like you want to do, and then use a push/pull or push/push pot for out of phase on one pickup, either the neck or the bridge. Won't matter which.