mustang freak project incoming.

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

mustang freak project incoming.

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:50 am

collecting this later on. not really got any plans other than get my friend to make me a neck. gimmie yer thoughts and ideas
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: mustang freak project incoming.

Post by Embenny » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:32 am

I love it. It's basically everything I like about shortscales rolled into one.

I'd throw a bass cut onto a push/pull tone pot just to keep that feature, personally.

Any idea what pickups you want to put in it?
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:45 am

it's arrived and i got about £60 worth of parts with it. dude was nice but was honest the routing wasn't great.

oh hey, sarah records. someone let ulric know (might try saving the sticker for my friend)
doesn't look to bad on the surface
ok, so he did warn me about the routing not being great. he was right but hey.
ok so the middle pickup is ok...... wait, what the fuck is that?
is that a ball of wax?
it is a ball of wax..... looks like an owl.
here's how it sits.

there was some good parts i got with it. set of cyclone pickups, a dimarzio super distortion, set of mustang pickups.

what am i going to do with it? well i'm not happy with the routing. i also don't like middle pickups and i don't like all the holes in the body. the finish is flaking off in places so i'm thinking of just stripping it, filling in all the holes, re-routing the bridge and control cavity then refining it. i think this is going to be a long winter project so i'll update where i can.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:49 am

I like it! :-) Thought about doing the same to a Affinity Mustang... but I heard/read that the body wasn't thick enough for the Vibrato.

ainm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ainm » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:42 am

Whoa, love that colour. Nice score, particularly with the DiMarzio SD. I'd be tempted to refinish it the same colour but with black racing stripes to make it into a bumble bee competition Mustangmonster thing.

Assuming the string through is original given how neat that is compared to the routing. Do you think you could squeeze a hard tail bridge under a regular offset bridge? If so, then surely it needs to be a twelve-string Mustang with the primary strings to the vibrato and the secondary strings hardtailed. You've got a mate who makes necks, so why not? Just imagine the noise you could make up with a full throated kerrang against an amp and then a little worble of the bar!

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:48 pm

ainm wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:42 am
Whoa, love that colour. Nice score, particularly with the DiMarzio SD. I'd be tempted to refinish it the same colour but with black racing stripes to make it into a bumble bee competition Mustangmonster thing.

Assuming the string through is original given how neat that is compared to the routing. Do you think you could squeeze a hard tail bridge under a regular offset bridge? If so, then surely it needs to be a twelve-string Mustang with the primary strings to the vibrato and the secondary strings hardtailed. You've got a mate who makes necks, so why not? Just imagine the noise you could make up with a full throated kerrang against an amp and then a little worble of the bar!
i already got my friend to make me a body for a telemaster xii and that was more than enough of a headache for all of us.

i do have a finish in mind but i'm trying to practice it first...... just need for scotland's weather to stop being shit.

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:23 pm

The routing's kinda cool, it's a bit of the history and if it works I can't see the need to "fix" it. Horses for courses though, I've "fixed" other mods simply because they annoyed the crap out of me and not for any defensible reason.

LVC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by LVC » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:25 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:45 am
what am i going to do with it? well i'm not happy with the routing. i also don't like middle pickups and i don't like all the holes in the body. the finish is flaking off in places so i'm thinking of just stripping it, filling in all the holes, re-routing the bridge and control cavity then refining it. i think this is going to be a long winter project so i'll update where i can.
I'm quite excited about this one... Can't wait to see how it will turn out :w00t:

ainm wrote:
Assuming the string through is original given how neat that is compared to the routing.
Looks like it was a Fender Mustang 90

Create art, not content

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:26 pm

Kinda sweet! As for pickups, I'm almost thinking Tele plus pickups? Like the Jonny Greenwood Tele plus, the active ones?
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:58 pm

Lose the Jag control plate and the middle pickup. That body has so much potential.

I know we're not supposed to buy/sell outside of the For Sale area, but if you ever let that ball of wax go. Hit me up.

Nudger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nudger » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:23 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:45 am

ok, so he did warn me about the routing not being great. he was right but hey.
ok so the middle pickup is ok...... wait, what the fuck is that?
is that a ball of wax?
it is a ball of wax..... looks like an owl.

Hmm.. Id seriously consider keeping the Wax Owl in situe!
Im thinking its a counter balance for the jag trem. :P

So much potential for this one, Routing wouldnt phase me.. Hats off to the previous owners ambition tho, Some of my early routing jobs need to be on "why did you..." thread .
With it getting a refin anyhow id fill jag hole n slap a mustang trem on there.
Switch wise I like jag "versatile", especially if you get rid off middle pup "I would" but if youre getting a new pickguard maybe rout for mustang switches..
Whichever way you go with this one im hooked.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:54 am

I see it!

I vote mini-humbucker or P90 in the neck and Firebird in the bridge. Switching could be on/off for the first two, maybe some sort of in phase/out of phase with the third (if that's even possible with two hambackers).

And keep the Bilindastang tremolo alive!

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:56 am

I would skip the plug/route/refinish game. Spend your time on the custom pickguard...

Jazzmaster neck pickup,
Jaguar middle pickup,
Telecaster bridge pickup, in a reverse/Hendrix pickguard slot.

Johnny Marr switch plate instead of sliders, but using a 5-way Strat switch

Wire the Strat switch and pots with the Armstrong Blender circuit, using a stacked tone+blender pot.
(The Armstrong Blender mod allows blending from SSS to series HSH -- the most versatile mod I've used).

Keep the JM trem and use Mustang saddles.

ainm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ainm » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:49 pm

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:48 pm
ainm wrote:

i already got my friend to make me a body for a telemaster xii and that was more than enough of a headache for all of us.

i do have a finish in mind but i'm trying to practice it first...... just need for scotland's weather to stop being shit.
Interested to see what you have in store. And if the weather doesn't let up, "Streaky Dreich" would be some colour too!

ainm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ainm » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:52 pm

LVC wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:25 pm
Looks like it was a Fender Mustang 90

Ah, of course! The finish threw me off. Here it is before that finish, I believe: https://www.reddit.com/r/offset/comment ... p_mustang/