My New Offset Designs: Artemis & Apollo - Builds Coming

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
michel v
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: My New Offset Designs: Artemis & Apollo - Builds Coming

Post by michel v » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:17 pm

Beautiful!

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:16 pm

They are all awesome, but that color combo on #4 is spectacular :w00t: I forget, is it a baritone?
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:10 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:16 pm
They are all awesome, but that color combo on #4 is spectacular :w00t: I forget, is it a baritone?
Yup, it's a baritone. 28.625", 23 fret, tuned B-B right now. 8)
Doug
@dpcannafax

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:38 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:10 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
:? :? :?

I've got a lot of projects I need to finish, but my baritone is probably the one I want to finish the most...
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:08 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:38 pm
ThePearDream wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:10 pm
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
:? :? :?

I've got a lot of projects I need to finish, but my baritone is probably the one I want to finish the most...
What was the hold-up on that project? I mean, besides getting married and buying a house and all the other stuff?

I really love my baritones. Though I do have three now, which is probably one too many (Artemis 004, a 28.625" Jazzmaster @B, and a 27" Jaguar with flats @C#). I had thought I would sell Artemis 004, and I may still someday, but I'm enjoying it too much right now. I guess that I will probably sell the Jazzmaster, once that is out of storage.
Doug
@dpcannafax

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:23 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:08 am
What was the hold-up on that project? I mean, besides getting married and buying a house and all the other stuff?
:D Pretty much just that. It seems like every time I've got a little time to work on stuff, which is a bit rare in the last two years, I end up just relaxing a bit. Copacetic painted my Tele, humbucker guitar (Deed_Poll offset Tele style, we called the POST), and clearcoated my bass, and I haven't put any back together yet. It's kinda killing me*. I haven't really done much woodworking in the last two years either.

For the baritone (Deed_Poll Juniorbird), I need to finish sanding the body, as I offered to take the body from Dan early, back when he broke his hand. It won't be hard from where he left off, I just need to do it.

(* It also doesn't help that I want to change a bit of wiring in the bass, and want to experiment with pot values in all the guitars. I'll basically want to add another switch to every guitar, to try out different pot or capacitor values before committing, so it's not as easy as just reassembling the Tele or the Jag Bass)

The nice thing now is that with the house, I'll have a more permanent place to work on stuff. The majority of my shop will be inside, so I'll have space to spread out and work on things long-term (and in heat!). One of the things that killed my motivation to work on things when I did have a little time, is having to move things around or set up the shop space, because most of my projects used the same work space. Now, that won't be as much of an issue.

Also, since it might be a little bit (this next spring hopefully!) before I get to start on my new shop, I thought I'd share this idea since you've always been supportive of my shop and organization :)
Hooked On Wood - Most Flexible, affordable, and easiest-to-make drawer system!

I plan on doing something VERY close to this for tool storage (things that will have a dedicated place in a drawer, not just open drawers), and French cleats on another wall too. I'm tempted to get a two monitor setup for my laptop, so I can move one monitor closer to my soldering area, using it to read schematics off of :)

ThePearDream wrote:
I really love my baritones. Though I do have three now, which is probably one too many (Artemis 004, a 28.625" Jazzmaster @B, and a 27" Jaguar with flats @C#). I had thought I would sell Artemis 004, and I may still someday, but I'm enjoying it too much right now. I guess that I will probably sell the Jazzmaster, once that is out of storage.
That's amazing. 28.625" is a great scale, but as a short dude, I've always wanted to try a 27" baritone Jaguar. Having the slightly different tunings is a great idea for owning multiple baritones!!

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:51 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:23 pm
ThePearDream wrote:
:D Pretty much just that. It seems like every time I've got a little time to work on stuff, which is a bit rare in the last two years, I end up just relaxing a bit. Copacetic painted my Tele, humbucker guitar (Deed_Poll offset Tele style, we called the POST), and clearcoated my bass, and I haven't put any back together yet. It's kinda killing me*. I haven't really done much woodworking in the last two years either.

For the baritone (Deed_Poll Juniorbird), I need to finish sanding the body, as I offered to take the body from Dan early, back when he broke his hand. It won't be hard from where he left off, I just need to do it.

(* It also doesn't help that I want to change a bit of wiring in the bass, and want to experiment with pot values in all the guitars. I'll basically want to add another switch to every guitar, to try out different pot or capacitor values before committing, so it's not as easy as just reassembling the Tele or the Jag Bass)

The nice thing now is that with the house, I'll have a more permanent place to work on stuff. The majority of my shop will be inside, so I'll have space to spread out and work on things long-term (and in heat!). One of the things that killed my motivation to work on things when I did have a little time, is having to move things around or set up the shop space, because most of my projects used the same work space. Now, that won't be as much of an issue.

Also, since it might be a little bit (this next spring hopefully!) before I get to start on my new shop, I thought I'd share this idea since you've always been supportive of my shop and organization :)
Hooked On Wood - Most Flexible, affordable, and easiest-to-make drawer system!

I plan on doing something VERY close to this for tool storage (things that will have a dedicated place in a drawer, not just open drawers), and French cleats on another wall too. I'm tempted to get a two monitor setup for my laptop, so I can move one monitor closer to my soldering area, using it to read schematics off of :)

ThePearDream wrote:
That's amazing. 28.625" is a great scale, but as a short dude, I've always wanted to try a 27" baritone Jaguar. Having the slightly different tunings is a great idea for owning multiple baritones!!
Oh, yeah! That Juniorbird design will make a great looking baritone. You've gotta get that one done. The next time you have twenty minutes and the weather is nice, instead of scrolling on an app, sit outside with your favorite beverage and/or person, enjoy the season, and do some sanding.

I really like that drawer system. I can almost make that. I don't have a nice enough table saw to run a dado blade, or a big enough router table to mill the slots with those, but I'm sure I could figure out some way to do it with a handheld router and some jigs.

I'm definitely planning to make and sell batches of short scale baritone necks in the future. It's a really nice scale length and Jaguars are a great platform for a baritone IMO. It could also be a nice option for weirdos that don't like 24" necks. Jaguar pickups are a good design that sound great in every scale length I've tried them in (22.5, 24, 27, & 30). My original plan for Artemis 001 (before lucking upon the vintage Univox pickups) was Jaguar pickups in 25.5".

A few old mockups of what almost was:
Doug
@dpcannafax

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:57 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:51 am
Oh, yeah! That Juniorbird design will make a great looking baritone. You've gotta get that one done. The next time you have twenty minutes and the weather is nice, instead of scrolling on an app, sit outside with your favorite beverage and/or person, enjoy the season, and do some sanding.
Funny thing is that I'm not usually one for "the apps" :D I mean, occasionally I'll find some funny stuff, but we are usually the outdoorsy types. But I agree, I need to sand it. Once the body is good, I can send it to our very own Copacetic (if he's got time!) for a nice 70s light chocolate brown. I'm still trying to figure out the pickguard, because I have to have the blue lines. And I'd like the trim some off the headstock to a cooler shape, but that's not necessary.

ThePearDream wrote:
I really like that drawer system. I can almost make that. I don't have a nice enough table saw to run a dado blade, or a big enough router table to mill the slots with those, but I'm sure I could figure out some way to do it with a handheld router and some jigs.
Further in the video, he mentions that you could make it from separate pieces (thin strips for the gaps, screwed to a big backing board), instead of cutting the grooves with a router or dado blade. I may go that way myself.

ThePearDream wrote:
I'm definitely planning to make and sell batches of short scale baritone necks in the future. It's a really nice scale length and Jaguars are a great platform for a baritone IMO. It could also be a nice option for weirdos that don't like 24" necks. Jaguar pickups are a good design that sound great in every scale length I've tried them in (22.5, 24, 27, & 30). My original plan for Artemis 001 (before lucking upon the vintage Univox pickups) was Jaguar pickups in 25.5".

A few old mockups of what almost was:
:-* :-* As awesome as the Jag pickups sound, and as much as the Univox pickups sound and look, the one that intrigues me the most I think is the G&L MFD pickups...

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:13 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:57 pm

:-* :-* As awesome as the Jag pickups sound, and as much as the Univox pickups sound and look, the one that intrigues me the most I think is the G&L MFD pickups...
Heck yes. Those G&L pickups are so great!

Here's an old mock-up of one in blue.
And another in lime.
Doug
@dpcannafax

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:36 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:57 pm
ThePearDream wrote:
Further in the video, he mentions that you could make it from separate pieces (thin strips for the gaps, screwed to a big backing board), instead of cutting the grooves with a router or dado blade. I may go that way myself.
Yeah, I saw that. I was watching a few more of his videos later. I thought If I built his router bench first, using the thin strips added to a backer method, then I'd have a nice big router table to use for making subsequent slotted boards. But also, one of the first tools I'll want to buy once I have a new space, is a better table saw. That doesn't really have anything to do with guitars, but it's such an important tool for making things like jigs and fixtures (and furniture and casework that I'd love to have space to build). I've been using a portable Ryobi that I bought 15 years ago. It has crappy fences, no miter gauge slots in the surface and can't take dado blades.
Doug
@dpcannafax

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:33 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:13 am
Heck yes. Those G&L pickups are so great!

Here's an old mock-up of one in blue.
And another in lime.
Both look great, but that lime is sexy!! :w00t:

ThePearDream wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:36 am
Yeah, I saw that. I was watching a few more of his videos later. I thought If I built his router bench first, using the thin strips added to a backer method, then I'd have a nice big router table to use for making subsequent slotted boards. But also, one of the first tools I'll want to buy once I have a new space, is a better table saw. That doesn't really have anything to do with guitars, but it's such an important tool for making things like jigs and fixtures (and furniture and casework that I'd love to have space to build). I've been using a portable Ryobi that I bought 15 years ago. It has crappy fences, no miter gauge slots in the surface and can't take dado blades.
Router table is essential for guitar work like you do, but honestly, I feel like table saw is related to guitar work, for exactly the reason you mentioned: jigs and fixtures. I've got a contractor-grade Bosch that does ok, but I would love to upgrade mine as well. I know I'm still getting to the point where I'm doing more shaped stuff, but I can't imagine having an upgraded router before an upgraded table saw. There's SO much you can do with one. But I come from the building shelves side of woodworking. You're clearly able to do plenty of amazing work without dado blades so far ;D