Rerverse-Aging aka whitening creme bindings

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Rerverse-Aging aka whitening creme bindings

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:51 am

The title says it all.
My attempts to take a possible (but as it turns out non-) existing amber clear code off my 70s Squier Jag neck I'm using for my new build have failed - and now I have a beautiful bound body (white binding) with a matching headstock with (small but) beautiful blocks but a non matching binding.

can you think of - or even better have you already successfully whitened creme/aged white plastic parts to white-white?

Or should I just scrape it off and put a white one on it? After my sanding accident that would be a bit much of a treatment for a 120€ neck... but well - it has a beautiful matching headstock...

The body will probably age over time - at least a little. But we are talking two extremes here.
Would retro-brite or something like that work?
I do have peroxide cleaning wipes.

Now I just wish I would have bought that AVRI 65 neck off ebay or the Musikraft (if it just wasn't that expansive with customs and all).

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Rerverse-Aging aka whitening creme bindings

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:27 am

Just that you know what I‘m talking about;

my main man
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by my main man » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:41 am

Since the material used for the binding is the vintage cream color and not a stained white, bleach and retro-brite won't do anything to change the color. (note: I could be wrong about this and the binding might be white underneath a tinted clear coat but I'm almost positive it's not.) Might clean it up a little bit and be mildly brighter-seeming but nothing close to the binding on the guitar. If you're confident in doing the neck binding yourself, redoing it with white binding would be the best, if you're dead set on doing white. You might be able to get away with scraping the finish off and painting the binding and then spraying more clear coat over but the chances of that looking sloppy seem pretty high. Yellowing the body binding would be a lot easier, if you were okay going that route.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:35 am

you're stuck with that color in the binding, it's the color of the material and there's no changing it, aside from a new neck

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:48 am

Thanks my main man (great username by the way... instantly reminded me of Black Dynamite) and Lost in Autumn. This is what I feared.

Anyhow. Awaiting incoming replies I "checked" again with a blade yesterday and it maybe got a few % lighter - but this might also have been a kind of clear coat or some of the amber that got onto it. It's still creamish. But let's see.

solfege
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by solfege » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:35 pm

Same as others, but of course you could have someone redo the binding if you otherwise like the neck. That might or might not be cost effective given the neck's nominal value, but it should be possible and could be less expensive than getting another bound neck finished to match.

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:41 pm

You're probably better off yellowing the binding of the body.

Sweetfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sweetfinger » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:34 pm

The neck binding has a tinted clear on it but it's also not white. It would be much easier to tint the body binding.