The Hairmaster - MK II

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Hairmaster - MK II

Post by ludobag1 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:39 am

for some of won't trust the climate change ,i have the same trouble ,normally years before i could spray from april to october but now it is really a short window like april to may and september to october , the month of summer became too much hot more over i am too in the windy place and ihave lot of days with wind too powerfull to paint even indoor cause my workbench isn't wind proof and the dust move become problematic
i rarely spay outside too cause there is always a little wind to fight with(and also fucking bugs who were attract by fresh paint !) ,i prefer to be in and the fog move outside by the windown and door open
as my compressor is broken i don't use 2K anymore (healthier too) but it is a good way to speed finishing in 3 days you could do ,prime, paint ,varnish and mount it 3 weeks later ,if you have a place to paint (shower cabin for example)with an extraction to be free from dust and bugs it could be a good way to speed up (i don t detail the gun cleaning process who is time consuming more than spraying )
with nitro you are more dependant from temp ,humidity than 2K with the right hardener (you could spray even in cold )

today also windy so much ,maybe 80 Km/h,and turning wind then lot of spraying windown are close du to that (normally 3/6or 9 days cycle)

the fatest way to finish is oiling ,true oil is good for neck but is not real fast if you want something clean
the finishing is always the boring part of the build and if i can send all to someone to do it i will ;)

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:03 am

epizootics wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:10 am
I found the time to make the logo plate. Etched stainless steel, still needs a bit of finessing but it should give y'all a clue as to what the band in question might be:
The Folling Stones? Thy Floody Salentine? The Foo Sighters? The Flaming Slip?
Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:21 am

johnnysomersett wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:14 am
epizootics wrote:
I found the time to make the logo plate. Etched stainless steel, still needs a bit of finessing but it should give y'all a clue as to what the band in question might be:
Tropical Fuck Storm?
… are touring Europe at the moment … and both Dunn and Liddiard are brilliant players …

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:09 pm

MatthewK wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:21 am
johnnysomersett wrote:
epizootics wrote:
Tropical Fuck Storm?
… are touring Europe at the moment … and both Dunn and Liddiard are brilliant players …
That is...correct :)

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:37 pm

NICE

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:25 pm

ludobag1 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:39 am
for some of won't trust the climate change ,i have the same trouble ,normally years before i could spray from april to october but now it is really a short window like april to may and september to october , the month of summer became too much hot more over i am too in the windy place and ihave lot of days with wind too powerfull to paint even indoor cause my workbench isn't wind proof and the dust move become problematic
i rarely spay outside too cause there is always a little wind to fight with(and also fucking bugs who were attract by fresh paint !) ,i prefer to be in and the fog move outside by the windown and door open
as my compressor is broken i don't use 2K anymore (healthier too) but it is a good way to speed finishing in 3 days you could do ,prime, paint ,varnish and mount it 3 weeks later ,if you have a place to paint (shower cabin for example)with an extraction to be free from dust and bugs it could be a good way to speed up (i don t detail the gun cleaning process who is time consuming more than spraying )
with nitro you are more dependant from temp ,humidity than 2K with the right hardener (you could spray even in cold )

today also windy so much ,maybe 80 Km/h,and turning wind then lot of spraying windown are close du to that (normally 3/6or 9 days cycle)

the fatest way to finish is oiling ,true oil is good for neck but is not real fast if you want something clean
the finishing is always the boring part of the build and if i can send all to someone to do it i will ;)
I know what you mean. I spent part of my childhood close to the Vallée du Rhône (about 100 km north from where you are) and the wind used to drive me insane, even back then. Now that we seem to be getting more and more wind each year, even in Lyon, I am seriously thinking of moving up to the Lorraine area or anywhere else where the air stays still :)

Having sprayed for the last few days, I can report that those Molotow rattle cans work much better in temperatures around 20°C. The surface is much better overall and I will be able to go from my last coat of white onto clear with no sanding. I tried everything this summer - spraying closer to the body created ridges and valleys, and spraying from further away gave me a more uniform but almost sandy surface. There just seemed to be no right feed and speed for it.

I only have a few bits and bobs left to do this week while the solvents are evaporating. Winding the pickups, sanding / polishing the stainless steel parts (neck & control plate, as well as the washer the pickup switch is attached to), thicknessing the pickup rings (going for the pickguard & rings approach here), etc. I'm hoping to be done a few days before the gig (TFS are playing in Lyon on the 28th) so I can give the guitar a proper setup.
Gordon wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:03 am
epizootics wrote:
The Folling Stones? Thy Floody Salentine? The Foo Sighters? The Flaming Slip?
All of the above...Plus The Foft Sachine, The Ftone Soses, and Thee Foe Sees. :)
Last edited by epizootics on Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:33 pm

epizootics wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:09 pm
johnnysomersett wrote:

Tropical Fuck Storm?
That is...correct :)
Whoop!
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:13 am

Yup. Although disaster struck and I have to make a new neck...Shame I didn't have any more of that rowan, it looked darned good :(
What was a slightly hectic schedule just turned into a race against the clock :)

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:52 pm

Well, here's neck no. 2 :

Took me all of a day and a half. I think that's the fastest I ever built anything and my body's sore all over, but, hell, I'm still on schedule. You may notice it has no frets on it. That's because the supplier lied about having posted the Hosco frets I'm using. They'll arrive on Tuesday, the day before the gig :'( Still feasible but I might need to take a week off after that! :)

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:28 pm

Man, you work like lightning! If I could even manage to do a neck that quickly it would be sub-optimal, to put it politely. :ph34r:
Watching the corners turn corners

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:43 pm

antisymmetric wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:28 pm
Man, you work like lightning! If I could even manage to do a neck that quickly it would be sub-optimal, to put it politely. :ph34r:
Well, having gone through the exact same process a week or two before making this one definitely helped. If I'd had to make templates and think about the geometry at all...It would have been another story :)
The tricky part is always the transition between the shaft and the heel & headstock. Once you have a strategy to get those done, it's easy to replicate - I get most of the work done with a chisel on both ends to make room for my spokeshave, and just hack away at anything in between the two.
What I hadn't done before was using my orbital sander to get rid of the facets and generally round off the shaft. I can't believe I'd never given it a try. The actual shaping of the profile only took an hour!

I'll have to press the frets at the last moment, which is not how I usually work but I guess is just like a refret. At least it'll give me a chance to get the fretboard perfectly straight before the frets come in. I might keep that in my process from now on.

The body received its last coat of clear yesterday and should be ready for wet sanding / polishing on Sunday or Monday. I'll get everything else ready so the strung-up guitar can at least rest for a night. Final setup on Wednesday morning then off to the venue. There is literally no more room for any f**k-ups at this point. Phew :)

ludobag1
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ludobag1 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:19 am

whao what s happen to old one ?
you are outragously fast to make a new one ,it will be short to finish the 28 ,i hope you do !

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:15 pm

ludobag1 wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:19 am
whao what s happen to old one ?
you are outragously fast to make a new one ,it will be short to finish the 28 ,i hope you do !
Cheers Ludo!
I've had a bunch of jobs that went pretty much like this - stuff like roofing where the house needs all of its shingles back TONIGHT 'cause the forecast suddenly says it is going to piss it down the next day. You usually end up making the deadline, even if it means finding yourself fitting lead flashing at two in the morning with a flashlight between your teeth.

Funny thing is that this was what took me the longest to do on the new neck:

I'd originally used simple white dot markers and they were almost totally invisible against the reddish rosewood and maple. I should have drilled them into the fretboard only instead of going for the shaft/fretboard glue line. After a bit of head scratching, I re-drilled them at 3mm, filled up the holes with ebony dust and CA glue, marked the center of the black dots and drilled again with a 2mm bit to fit in the white dots. That was a bit nerve wracking, but at least you can see them now!

I wet sanded / polished the body yesterday, wax-potted the pickups, trimmed the rings down to 5mm (I only had 13mm, slanted rings in my shop; you can thin those down with a router, as long as you take tiny passes - thin ABS loves to crack if you try to take too much off in one go) and got started on the electronics.

I also polished & etched the stainless steel parts...Here's the pickup switch ring:

Cheesy as hell but I noticed that Dunn tended to favor the neck pickup, while Liddiard uses the bridge position most of the time. :)

Almost done...If UPS does bring the frets to my door tomorrow it'll be ready in time... :derp:

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:52 pm

That has turned out REALLY good. I love your side dot solution! That actually looks really classy, like binding for your side dots :D
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:34 am

OK...I finally got the frets yesterday at noon. That thing had strings on it at 8pm. Got it all set up today - it's ready to go!

(two of the same...)

I gotta say I am really, really pleased with it. I wasn't a 100% sure of the combination of the short scale / 12 alnico pole minibuckers, but the result sounds purdy sweet. And the guitar is really quiet. Like, really quiet - I made sure to shield the hell out of everything, knowing how much Liddiard and Dunn use effects on their sound.

Off to the venue in a couple hours! :)